Help? Just want to make sure I'm not doing it wrong :)

Options
So I started my official life change at the beginning of June this year. Since then I have lost approx 19 lbs. Which is great but I wonder if I could be doing something better.
When I started off I had my calorie limit at 1200 since I wanted to lose 2 lbs per week and thats what MFP said. After a few weeks I noticed I would get slightly over 1200 and it would make me "upset" that it wasn't under my calorie goal. So i upped my goal to 1300 cals a day. MFP said I would lose 1.8 lb per week.
But I've been reading a lot of posts on here and I kept seeing that I should look up my BMR and eat TDEE. So I've upped my calorie limit to 1600 - though I usually don't make it that high and I burn off a lot more.

Ok so I'm 5'2. I started at 221 lbs and am now at 202 lbs. I have been exercising for about an hour per day 5-6 days a week.
Mostly cardio though. I've seen lots of posts from people saying cardio isn't helping with weight loss and strength exercises are better.

My plan has been to shed some more pounds (maybe 20 more) and then begin to incorporate strength exercises so I can begin to tone as I lose. All I see is a whole bunch of fat that needs to go!

I'm beginning to get confused and discouraged since I don't know my magic number and what exercise I should be doing each day. Any advice? Please go easy on me :)

Edit: my food diary is public, feel free to look. The reason I'm starting to worry is because it seems to be taking forever to get to that 20th pound. I'm just maintaining, mostly. But that could be because of the calorie increase? I am not sure though because I burn between 500-700 calories when i work out....

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Why are you getting discouraged about? 20 pounds in about 2 months is awesome! I'd say keep up what you are doing.

In terms of cardio and weight loss, it does help weight loss to the extend that you are burning calories, thus it is easier to hit your daily calorie goal. Most of the self appointed experts recommend a combination of strength/resistance training and cardio. That is what I do and I am happy with the results.
  • sharon75uk
    sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have been doing LOTS right since June. Just keep an eye on the weight loss with the calories at 1600. You are at a very similar stage to myself although you are doing more exercise.

Good luck :)
  • daisy79
    daisy79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'll give 1500-1600 cals some more time before I start to worry. I was just concerned that the days that I burn a lot of calories, maybe I should be eating more.
    But it seems like I would be eating too much if I ate back those calories and would just maintain. Thats why i'm confused I guess.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The good news is you have enough body fat (based on weight) that should allow you to sustain a slightly higher deficit. Once you get closer to a normal weight, then a smaller deficit will be needed. If you start to feel tired or don't see as much progress, then you can increase calories. I would suggest start weight training now as it will aid muscle retention. I would also suggest altering your standard MFP macro's to around 40% carbs, 30% fats and protein. This way it can aid the process of muscle retention and satiety.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Try this calculator out and see what it gives you. I was able to do the TDEE-20% for a while, but now I am having to change it up since I am close to my goal. I currently eat my BMR (1360) plus my exercise calories. I use a heart rate monitor so I can more accurately see my calorie burn. I always make sure that I net at least 1200.

Also, cardio is great for losing weight, but you are only burning calories at that time; strength training burns more calories longer after you stop working out.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • sammieloft91
    Options
    Your calorie intake is ok... some tips with dieting is to not eat high carb foods at night only eat vegies salad and lean meat like chicken fish or lean red meat. Its better to stock up on carbs during the day as you burn them during the day not at night. Dont eat after 7pm and dont eat 3 hours before bed..drink heaps of water. ...Do cardio interval training and strength training...cardio by itself doesnt really help much...ive had trainers at the gym I go to tell me muscle burns fat and every 2.2lbs of muscle you put on increases your bmr. Hope this helps :) ive lost weight doing all of what ive mentioned.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake is ok... some tips with dieting is to not eat high carb foods at night only eat vegies salad and lean meat like chicken fish or lean red meat. Its better to stock up on carbs during the day as you burn them during the day not at night. Dont eat after 7pm and dont eat 3 hours before bed..drink heaps of water. ...Do cardio interval training and strength training...cardio by itself doesnt really help much...ive had trainers at the gym I go to tell me muscle burns fat and every 2.2lbs of muscle you put on increases your bmr. Hope this helps :) ive lost weight doing all of what ive mentioned.

I have to respectfully disagree with this advice. When you eat food doesn't matter as long as you have the calories for it. Your body burns calories around the clock, even while sleeping.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    The good news is you have enough body fat (based on weight) that should allow you to sustain a slightly higher deficit. Once you get closer to a normal weight, then a smaller deficit will be needed. If you start to feel tired or don't see as much progress, then you can increase calories. I would suggest start weight training now as it will aid muscle retention. I would also suggest altering your standard MFP macro's to around 40% carbs, 30% fats and protein. This way it can aid the process of muscle retention and satiety.
    This is excellent advice. I personally have more fat to lose, so I go a bit heavier (macro-wise) on protein and a bit lighter on fats and carbs. I try to never take in sugar unless I have something strenuous planned for the next couple hours like a run or some weights, and even then I try to take in small amounts. It hasn't been easy but every day it gets easier. keep pushing yourself!
  • daisy79
    daisy79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I admit I could pay more attention to the amount of carbs/protein/fats that I take in each day. I have been mostly focused on keeping calories under my limit.
    My goal isn't just major weight loss - but overall health and well being as well. The last thing I want to do is lose energy and motivation and start eating crap foods again.
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many calories to eat or how to appoint your macros, but what I can tell you is to not give up or get so discouraged!

Your body tries to stabilize itself naturally and losing weight takes a lot of work. There will be slow weeks and plateaus and times that you might just want to pull your hair out. And sometimes you can do everything right and still see a gain.

Stay motivated and encouraged. Vent your frustrations to someone you trust who will encourage you and don't. give. up.

You can do it!