What to do to start weight training?

shepd1999
shepd1999 Posts: 40 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I just turned 33, I am 6'3" and 430 pounds. I have got my self to start walking 30-40 mins everyother day. I see most people say that walking/cardio does not help lose fat. I know it has to be a start at my weight it seems every little helps. What would be some suggestion to help me get started?

Replies

• Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Any and all exercise will help you burn calories, ie fat. I started doing only cardio and lost 45lbs. I am now shifting to cardio and weight training and am really beginning to see my body change! Don't listen to the naysayers, just get out there and move! You can do it!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    I lost the majority of my weight with just cardio alone. I started with just walking on an incline on my treadmill for about 30 minutes per day and have increased it to just over an hour of HIIT (walking / sprinting).

I was doing 6 days of straight cardio but am now doing 3 days HIIT cardio / 3 days of heaving lifting. I have found that with the addition of weights it has helped get me past my weight-loss plateau and I am also noticing that my body is firming up nicely and my clothes are getting lose again.

Start off slowly..that is key as you do not want to do too much too fast and injure yourself (I am guilty of that). As your body adjusts you can start increasing your time and intensity.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    The reason you want to do strength training is if you don't you lose lean body mass (muscle) along with fat. You don't need a lot. Resistance bands and a couple of free weights or even food cans can get you started. There are lots of routines if you Google.
This discussion has been closed.