Need Heart Rate Monitor Suggestion

Options
judyde
judyde Posts: 401 Member
Hello, I've been considering at a Fitbit, but after a lot of reading on these forums, I'm now thinking a HRM is the way to go. Looking for suggestions. Here are some critera I hope it can fit:

1.) Wristwatch style - is this possible, or do they all have a strap around your chest?
2.) Waterproof - again, is this wishful thinking? I like to swim and boogie board and go to water parks.
3.) Under $100

Links to what you are suggesting on amazon would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Judy

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answers to all your questions but I've been reading a lot on the forums about HRMs, and the consensus seems to be that the watch-only styles don't work well at all. To get an accurate reading you need the chest strap.
  • judyde
    Options
    I don't know the answers to all your questions but I've been reading a lot on the forums about HRMs, and the consensus seems to be that the watch-only styles don't work well at all. To get an accurate reading you need the chest strap.

I was afraid of that! Thanks, that's what I suspected.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    A few months back I got a cheap one on a Groupon or Livingsocial deal...now if I could just figure out how to use the darn thing!!! It has a chest strap.
  • judyde
    Options
    ...now if I could just figure out how to use the darn thing!!! It has a chest strap.

So does that mean you aren't using it? Or you're using it and not sure you're using it correctly?
  • judyde
    Options
    Maybe I should add:

4. Easy to use

to my criteria. :-)
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have both and each is fairly easy to use. I did have a polar heart rate monitor but didn't like the watch, now I have a Zephyr that is just the chest strap and connects to my phone via bluetooth and I use Endomondo to connect to it and record my workouts. Any HRM that does not include the strap will not give as accurate results. As far as using for swimming, the bluetooth signal gets muffled under water and does not connect well, I probably wouldn't want to get my phone to close to the water anyways but I am sure you can get one for swimming it will just cost an arm and a leg. The fitbit flex is a band that you wear on your wrist and is suppose to be waterproof but I have not tried to swim with it yet, this may be your best option for wet activities. It is basically a pedometer that converts your movements to calories burned.
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've used a variety; the chest strap ones are the most accurate. They all work under water, however all the ones I have tried base calorie consumption on heart rate -- since due to water pressure your heart rate is always lower under water for any given exertion rate, the calorie usage is inaccurate.
  • liddylee
    liddylee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Consider the Mio Alpha. Its a strapless heart rate monitor. I've tested it multiple times wearing it with my old HRM (with a strap) and its very accurate. I haven't used it in the water but it says you can.

Price is around $199 but worth every penny. Its bluetooth enabled and my favorite feature is that you can set your target heart range. There is a green light that flashes when you're 'in the range', a blue one when you fall below and a red one when you are above it.

Pretty easy to use. I'm certainly happy with mine. I've had it about 6 months now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should add:

4. Easy to use

to my criteria. :-)

Since you never said counting calories, which is not actually what they do (they monitor heart rate after all), but none of your activities listed anything you'd need to monitor heart rate for in order to train better - I'm betting it's actually for getting estimated calories calculated (calculated, not measured, and estimated, cheaper watches bigger estimate).

Polar RS300X for the calorie estimate part of it.

It is their cheapest model that even has a chance of providing decent estimate because it has the stats and tests needed to do better calculations. The cheaper models hide that bit of programming and make assumptions about your fitness level based on your BMI, and don't let you update those figures either.

And it's water proof, and if water is right can receive signal, (not too chlorinated), semi-easy to use once setup. But you can't get decent electrical impulse heart readings except off chest.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 because it was cheap. If I had to do it again, I would choose a more advanced model. The ones which incorporate a fitness test to calculate your VO2 Max are more accurate. The FT4 just uses a formula based on your age, gender, max heart rate. I have quite a lot of cardio fitness because I do a lot of it, so I flub the machine by typing in a higher max heart rate than the standard calculation for my age.

It is however, easy to use, cheap, and has a chest strap, and apparently works for swimming as long as you don't press any buttons while the watch is submerged..
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I did lots of research on this a few months ago and didn't want to spend a fortune, so I ended up with a Reebok Fitness Dual HRM I bought at Target. It was about $45 and yes, you need the strap.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I really like my tomtom gps/HRM watch. I bought the Multisport one b/c it also comes with a mount for your bike and a couple of extra settings for non-running sports. Price is about $250 and you get the watch, one band, bike mount, and HRM chest strap.

FWIW, I also use a fitbit One. My only complaint is that while you *can* integrate the fitbit data into the tomtom site (really MMF), it does not correlate the data. that means if you go for a 3 mile run with your watch and HRM monitoring it, you will actually see 6 miles on the charts (and in the calorie calculations). The fitbit data is a daily total and includes that 3mi run. the run itself is logged separately. Other than the duplicate data issue, which I am fixing for myself using a script and the two sites respective APIs, I have no complaints. Love the fitbit and love the tomtom!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 because it was cheap. If I had to do it again, I would choose a more advanced model. The ones which incorporate a fitness test to calculate your VO2 Max are more accurate. The FT4 just uses a formula based on your age, gender, max heart rate. I have quite a lot of cardio fitness because I do a lot of it, so I flub the machine by typing in a higher max heart rate than the standard calculation for my age.

It is however, easy to use, cheap, and has a chest strap, and apparently works for swimming as long as you don't press any buttons while the watch is submerged..

You can mess with the height to correct that.
    It assumes bad BMI, bad VO2max, and assumes a bunch a math from that.

But change the height so your BMI is at high or low end of healthy range for your gender and age, depending on where you think your fitness level is, and it'll estimate a better VO2max.

That'll have bigger effect than changing the HRmax, which you may be higher anyway.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased the Polar FT40 (not FT4). It's got everything the FT4 has and more. It's supposed to be amazing. I'm awaiting it's arrival any day! It's got a chest strap and wrist watch, but the watch receives the data from the chest strap. So they are worn together. Apparently you have to wet the sensors to use it against your body.. but I don't know if that means it's waterproof. But anyway, it supposed to be awesome. And I can't wait to get it.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit one that I bought in Jan of 2013. I still use it but prefer the Polar FT7 I just bought a couple weeks ago. I had bought a cheapy HRM watch a couple years ago and avoided buying one with a chest strap but now I realize you really want one with a chest strap for accuracy and easy usage. I love my Polar FT7! So easy to use, the chest strap doesn't even feel like it's there. I can use in the pool also since it's water proof. Just don't hit any buttons on the watch while in the water is the only thing. I hit the start button on mine before getting in the pool for water workouts. Mine cost me alittle over $100 but you can get one under $100 I do believe. It is waterproof in up to 30 feet of water.
    Good luck!
    Hello, I've been considering at a Fitbit, but after a lot of reading on these forums, I'm now thinking a HRM is the way to go. Looking for suggestions. Here are some critera I hope it can fit:

1.) Wristwatch style - is this possible, or do they all have a strap around your chest?
    2.) Waterproof - again, is this wishful thinking? I like to swim and boogie board and go to water parks.
    3.) Under $100

Links to what you are suggesting on amazon would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Judy
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Use the Polar FT40. Very easy to use and awesome results...but it's water resistant but not waterproof. I would go to waterparks and the beach to have fun. I use the HRM for workouts, and it's very reliable and simple. Ran under $100 on the internet.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    This is mine:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sports-PHRM38BK-Monitor-Walking/dp/B004RQWYDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377097295&sr=8-1&keywords=pyle+sports+heart+rate+monitor

I love it. It is water resistant up to 33 feet. You need to wet the sensors before using it or it will give..interesting...readings. You can change the batteries in both the chest strap and the watch. Mine will give funky readings if:

- I didn't wet the sensors
    - the batteries are going dead
    - if the chest strap isn't centered
    - if my sports bra works it's way under the chest strap

Other than that, I don't have any issues with it and I've had it since April 2013.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options

You can mess with the height to correct that.
    It assumes bad BMI, bad VO2max, and assumes a bunch a math from that.

But change the height so your BMI is at high or low end of healthy range for your gender and age, depending on where you think your fitness level is, and it'll estimate a better VO2max.

That'll have bigger effect than changing the HRmax, which you may be higher anyway.

Thanks for the tip. Will try this.