Strength before cardio or vice versa?

Options
Just wondering if you're combining strength and cardio in the same workout, which should you start out with first to get maximum results or does it particularly matter?

Replies

• HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if you're combining strength and cardio in the same workout, which should you start out with first to get maximum results or does it particularly matter?

For me I HAVE to lift first otherwise I just don't have the energy to complete both. This is just what works for me as I can ramp back my cardio more easily depending on how much energy I have left etc.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My vote is always strength before cardio, so you don't burn off energy that you need for maximizing your lifts. To warm up, do warm up sets on each exercise. Cardio doesn't really warm you up properly for lifting anyway, even though you're "warm", the proper way to prime a lift is performing the lift itself with very light weight.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My vote is always strength before cardio, so you don't burn off energy that you need for maximizing your lifts. To warm up, do warm up sets on each exercise. Cardio doesn't really warm you up properly for lifting anyway, even though you're "warm", the proper way to prime a lift is performing the lift itself with very light weight.

Yes.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    It actually kind of depends on your goals. Certain work outs such as circuit work outs will actually combine to two and save you time. The general rule of thumb is strength should always come before cardio, however it will effect the intensity of your cardio work out because your muscles will be tired. Therefore, if you want to focus on cardio, you might actually want to do that first, however then your strength will suffer. I used to live just under 2 miles from my gym and would often run there and do strength training but it was always at an easy pace so my strength didn't suffer. If I were to do hard cardio it would have.
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I second what the others have said--I do strength before cardio. If I try to do the other way around, I'm not able to put as much effort into my lifting.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and lifting on different days. Though my lifting programme is only 3 times a week so it works.

When I used to do cardio and lifting on the same day I'd do cardio in the morning and weights at night. I couldn't hack being in the gym for cardio and lifting in the same session. It would just be too long!
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: it depends on your goals. Do whichever is most important to you.

That being said, understanding the fuel paths may help.

When it comes to exercise there are two types: aerobic and anaerobic. Aerobic exercise is when your body mixes oxygen and fat to creat fuel. Anaerobic is when it uses the glycogen (sugars/carbs) in the muscles themselvels as fuel.

Lifting weights is anaerobic (and I mean weight, not a 5 lb dumbbell for 30 reps). What most people call cardio is actually aerobic. As long as your HR is below 60% of your maximum, its primarily using oxygen/fat.

However, some glycogen is burned even at these relatively low levels. And as your HR climbs, you outrun the fat process and your body turns to glycogen for fuel.

This means that once you go to lift weights you wont have as much energy. At the very least, you wont get as good a lift. At aorst, it could lead to form failure as you try to power through the lift. This is how bad injuries occur.

So all things being equal, lift first. Its safer and more efficient.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It actually kind of depends on your goals. Certain work outs such as circuit work outs will actually combine to two and save you time. The general rule of thumb is strength should always come before cardio, however it will effect the intensity of your cardio work out because your muscles will be tired. Therefore, if you want to focus on cardio, you might actually want to do that first, however then your strength will suffer. I used to live just under 2 miles from my gym and would often run there and do strength training but it was always at an easy pace so my strength didn't suffer. If I were to do hard cardio it would have.

^^This
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Good info, thanks for posting.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I combine my workout, more out of necessity than by choice, but I guess it depends on your circumstances, I can imagine it would be nice to do one session of one and another, later in the day of the other. I tend to do Cardio first, because it gets me mentally as well as physically ready to do strength training.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I always hear mixed views on this. I personally tend to do cardio first and sometimes I will book end it and do it before and after. My preference is merely that it helps me warm up and get into the workout. Most I have read seem to propose the opposite and say strength first. I personally think its all a matter of preference and goals. Good luck
  • CherylCalmConfidentCapable
    Options

Lifting weights is anaerobic (and I mean weight, not a 5 lb dumbbell for 30 reps). What most people call cardio is actually aerobic. As long as your HR is below 60% of your maximum, its primarily using oxygen/fat.

However, some glycogen is burned even at these relatively low levels. And as your HR climbs, you outrun the fat process and your body turns to glycogen for fuel.

Hi I wondered if you explain this again for me, I am a complete novice and am struggling to understand the maximum heart rate thing. I am interested in burning fat primarily and improving fitness. I often work higher than 60% of my maximum heart rate on the treadmill as I like to feel like I am having a really good work out and it seems too easy at 60%. Does this mean that I am not burning fat and 'outrunning the fat process'? What does this mean and if so, is my body then turning to glycogen for fuel? what's that?

Thank you for your patience and understanding in explaining this for me again in laymans terms as I am quite baffled

BM
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I do strength training before cardio.

Rigger
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

This. I prioritize running over lifting so for me running comes first, or else the lifting would need to be easier.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Good info, thanks for posting.
    It is, this for me since keeping LBM is a goal.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Cardio after strength training to flush lactic acid buildup from your muscles.

However Cardio before in the form of sprinting is ideal for males as that activity causes a spike in testosterone production.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I combine my workout, more out of necessity than by choice, but I guess it depends on your circumstances, I can imagine it would be nice to do one session of one and another, later in the day of the other. I tend to do Cardio first, because it gets me mentally as well as physically ready to do strength training.

I always do cardio first as well. Always have (worked great before, and it's working great again).

If I go straight to lifting, I'm to exhausted to do my cardio session.

So, I would say whichever is the best fit for the individual. As long as you're doing them, that's what matters.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter as long as you smoke during your cardio.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I split them up - I run in the morning & I strength train after work.