Scales?? Need suggestions....

Options
I can weigh myself 5 times and get 5 different readings with a difference of as much as 5 pounds at a time. Obviously, I need a new scale, but what's the most accurate? Do you have a scale that you recommend?

Replies

• katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't own scales because i find i weigh myself every few days and it feels like not much is happening. So find a store or gym with scales that give you a print out, they're extremely accurate, plus you get to keep all the print outs as a timeline of your weightloss =)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I like Tanita scales. I find them very consistent.
  • Lithuria
    Options
    I'm afraid that I don't have any particular suggestions for scales but until you find something more accurate or in between doctors weigh ins, why don't you try finding your average weight (weight yourself 5 times, add the weights together even if the same one comes up twice add it twice, divide by five = average weight). If there is up to five pounds difference each time that is still a pretty narrow range in which your weight is, and the important thing is to see that you are loosing weight...a precise weight is nice yes but leave that to the doctors or whatever while you concentrate on making your scales move generally in the downwards direction ^_^
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Are you standing in the same position? Straight, hands to the side, looking straight ahead? I used to have that problem with my scale. I was bending over (lol) to see the numbers or tilting my head and the numbers would jump around. Now I just step on, stand straight count to 16 and it's done. I always do it twice to confirm the number. Your scale may need to be recalibrated or may need new batteries. I would try replacing the batteries and try again standing perfectly still. If it still doesn't work, I have a health o meter I bought at wal-mart a few years ago. Once I learned I need to keep still, it works great. Hope this helped.

Also, make sure you are weighing in first thing in the morning after you use the restroom and before eating or drinking. Good luck!!
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    I bought the Weight Watchers scale. It's digital & you can program your age, height, & sex and it gives you a reading of not only your weight but your BMI and body fat percentage. It also calculates your percent of water weight (metal strips on the scale are supposed to be like electrodes that are able to read all this) and it tells you what percent of your body is actually bone mass. It has been the most accurate scale that I have owned thus far- very close to the doctors scale (minus clothes weight at the MD of course). The numbers for BMI & fat percentage are pretty much the same as those I get from this website- so I am not sure if those electrodes are really calculating anything ;) But it's neat to see it on the scale on the official weigh in day. It cost $40 but it has a lithium battery that's supposed to last like, forever, so it was well worth the price
  • Joeysgirl
    Options
    I just bought this scale at TArget on clearance for $15. So I am hoping it works as well as you say! But definitely check your Target if you have one. They had a biggest loser scale on clearance too. End cap area in bathroom furnishings section :)
    I bought the Weight Watchers scale. It's digital & you can program your age, height, & sex and it gives you a reading of not only your weight but your BMI and body fat percentage. It also calculates your percent of water weight (metal strips on the scale are supposed to be like electrodes that are able to read all this) and it tells you what percent of your body is actually bone mass. It has been the most accurate scale that I have owned thus far- very close to the doctors scale (minus clothes weight at the MD of course). The numbers for BMI & fat percentage are pretty much the same as those I get from this website- so I am not sure if those electrodes are really calculating anything ;) But it's neat to see it on the scale on the official weigh in day. It cost $40 but it has a lithium battery that's supposed to last like, forever, so it was well worth the price
  • GregCrowder
    GregCrowder Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I bought a Camry Hydration Scale at Wal-Mart and it is exact to the balance beam scale at my gym. It was only $29.99.
    Gives you Weight, Body Fat, Body Mass and Water.
  • sgssmile
    Options
    I bought a new scale and it weighed me different and then I realized that I have a tile floor in my bathroom and it is not always level. Now I take it on a hardwood floor to weigh myself. Just an FYI-Good luck!
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    I just posted this somewhere else on the board today, but... I HIGHLY recommend the EatSmart bathroom scale sold on Amazon for about $28 (no tax or shipping added to that). It's attractive, it's digital, and most importantly, it's completely consistent. I can get on and off 4 different times and it always reads the exact same. With my old one, I was constantly frustrated never knowing how much I actually weighed. There are a zillion user reviews on there and almost everyone gave 5 stars.
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    I just posted this somewhere else on the board today, but... I HIGHLY recommend the EatSmart bathroom scale sold on Amazon for about $28 (no tax or shipping added to that). It's attractive, it's digital, and most importantly, it's completely consistent. I can get on and off 4 different times and it always reads the exact same. With my old one, I was constantly frustrated never knowing how much I actually weighed. There are a zillion user reviews on there and almost everyone gave 5 stars.

I posted this same question on the boards earlier and on my personal blog - This EatSmart scale has GREAT reviews on Amazon - I think I'll go for it. :)
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Linens n Things or Bed, Bath & Beyond has nice scales. I bought a digital Weight Watchers approved scale that weighs to well over 300lbs.....I think it weighs up to 400+ lbs.
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Linens n Things or Bed, Bath & Beyond has nice scales. I bought a digital Weight Watchers approved scale that weighs to well over 300lbs.....I think it weighs up to 400+ lbs.
  • shimmerngspirit
    Options
    Not a bad plan because my scale sucks.
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for the advice. I got my new scale yesterday, and when I weighed this morning, I was almost 5 pounds lighter than my old scale said. WooHoo!!
  • sgssmile
    Options
    Even better, how cool is that????
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    I have a I weight watchers scale and I weigh in Bathroom. I try to put in same spot all the time .. Cause like you if I move it to a different spot it weighs me different each time. I think my floor is uneven also..... ... Also carpet is not good to weight on either... It should be a tile are wood floor..
    It does weight pretty accurate cause my Drs scale and it is about the same all the time...