Help with setting BF Goals

Options
My lil one is due next week! I've been using MFP to track what I eat to try and stay healthy. I have gained about 30 lbs during my pregnancy. I had lost some weight at the beginning and didn't really start putting weight on until late in my 2nd trimester. I really rounded out in the 3rd.

I want to make sure I eat enough to breastfeed but not over eat. I'm not worried about trying to lose weight yet. I will have about 6-7 weeks off before I head back to work, where I will be pumping for when I'm not home.

If all goes well I plan to exclusively breastfeed, it's why I want to make sure I don't mess up my supply. I guess my question is how do I set things up in MFP to reflect my goals? If all goes well I'll be in the clear to exercise more and cut calories after 6 weeks (but I don't want to push it).

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    MFP allows you to include breastfeeding as an exercise for 300 cals I believe. IMO supply > being absolutely spot on with weight loss. Plenty of time to lose weight. Good luck.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    So, the early days of breastfeeding use up a lot of calories. Instead of counting calories and potentially restricting your supply, try to eat nutritious food and drink water to thirst and rest as much as you can. Establishing a good supply is very important. If you eat food that is good for you and drink plenty of water it will be very hard to overeat in the early weeks.
    It is recommended to not even try to lose weight until you are two months postpartum, as childbirth takes a toll on the body. Once you hit the two month mark, set your MPF goals to not lose over 1 lb a week. Most women can lose one pound a week and not have their supply take a hit. More rapid weightloss does tend to affect a mother's supply.
    In the early weeks after my little ones were born, I lived off of fruit salad, cut up veggies, hummus dip, and Lara Bars. Also make sure you have a water bottle handy before you sit down to nurse.
  • PersianFlower
    PersianFlower Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The little one arrived Sunday morning and I have been working hard at establishing my supply. The Lara Bars you mentioned I saw at the store and grabbed a couple to try. They are SUPER yummy and I can't believe how good and natural they are :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I KNOW!!! Aren't Lara Bars yummy!

I hope BFing is going well. Try to rest as much as you can in the early weeks.