Im scared that my excercise isnt paying off

Options
ninesteeezy
ninesteeezy Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Any advice? Has anyone lost weight? If so, how?

Thanks for everyones support in advanced! Its not easy!

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    How much are you exercising? Are you also eating sensibly? Tracking your food? Exercise by itself may not be enough to "pay off". You need to be eating at a deficit for starters.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly about what you eat. Think of exercise as a way to be healthy and strong rather than as a weight loss mechanism. Exercise calories are usually estimations. And, it only takes a slice of cheesecake to undo an hour or two worth of exercise.
  • Jenn_lynn330
    Options
    When did you start your journey? It took me two months before I actually notice a change in my body (scale and clothes) There was so many days I thought, "is this even worth it?" I felt like it was point less to make a change in my eating if was not seing any results. DONT give up be patient and you will soon see results.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    weight loss is mainly from the food (or lack thereof:bigsmile: ) the exercise helps in toning, buidling muscle, building stamina, etc. I do both - i exercise (and in the past 3 months been paying more attention to what and how i exercise) and i am following a diet, logging all my food, paying attention to portion sizes etc.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Exercise is essential for suppleness, cardiovascular health etc ...but you can't out train a bad diet. If your diet is bad, no amount of exercise will balance that out.
  • ninesteeezy
    Options
    Ive been starting off and on for about the past couple weeks. I know I probably wont show progress overnight but it does get discouraging.

Thank you guys for all your tips and motivation :)
  • Kimbee1974
    Options
    It all comes down to burning more calories than you are putting in your mouth! Also, take measurements. You could be swapping muscle for fat. When that happens the scale doesn't always move, but you will lose inches! Don't give up. You are building muscle and stamina for a healthier life!
  • orly99
    orly99 Posts: 8
    Options
    I feel the same but I've only started exercising a little over 2 weeks ago. I've lost weight before purely on watching what I ate and that was faster so I've been a little discouraged that the scale hasn't gone down but instead up... well it fluctuates. I'm not going to give up as this is just the beginning - I find inspiration from others on mfp and look forward to wearing beautiful clothes.
  • mrrongilbert
    mrrongilbert Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Exercise, IMO, will supplement proper nutrition but its all about what you put in your mouth. I used to think I could hammer out bad eating decisions in the gym and I was flat out wrong. Keep working out, but you have to focus on what you are consuming.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Exercise, IMO, will supplement proper nutrition but its all about what you put in your mouth. I used to think I could hammer out bad eating decisions in the gym and I was flat out wrong. Keep working out, but you have to focus on what you are consuming.
    THIS . (PS. I WANT YOUR PIG)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Exercise for overall health and fitness.
    Eat to lose weight.

If you don't track your calories, weight loss becomes more of a guessing game. Logging all of your food allows you to be sure that you're eating at a deficit (fewer calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight - this number is different for everyone). Exercise is great, and it's part of a healthy lifestyle, but it's easy to out-eat your daily calorie burn from exercise if you're not paying attention.
  • r_balogh
    r_balogh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind the exercise is to help prevent loss of muscle mass. Being on a deficit your body will consume some of that lean muscle with the fat. Keep it up and log everything
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It would help to know what kind of exercise you're doing!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Technically, even if you aren't losing weight on the scale, you are still GREATLY benefiting.
  • ninesteeezy
    Options
    I'm tracking what I eat via MFP, which has been SO helpful. i've been drinking more water. Run at least a mile everyday.
    Hopefully it works.

So does it matter what I eat? As long as I don't go overboard on the calories can I still lose weight?
    It would be helpful to hear what you all did. I would like to know what works.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Exercise is essential for suppleness, cardiovascular health etc ...but you can't out train a bad diet. If your diet is bad, no amount of exercise will balance that out.

Awesome statement. Eat right and weight loss will follow.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Like a post that was on the other day that had the best formula for weight loss. Step 1 Eat less, Step 2 exercise more, keep repeating these steps until you get results. I have had nothing complicated mostly just walking and watching what I put in my face and have had great results this past year. Good luck:drinker: .
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

So does it matter what I eat? As long as I don't go overboard on the calories can I still lose weight?
    It would be helpful to hear what you all did. I would like to know what works.

People have very conflicting opinions on this. I personally eat whatever I want, but in moderation. It seems to be working just fine for me. If I want pizza, Taco Bell, chocolate... I eat it. I just don't eat too much of it. Stay in a calorie deficit and it doesn't matter.
  • cbrown7702
    Options
    Yes I have lost 133lbs its not easy. I didn't find this app until a few months so none of my real progress is posted. You have to be committed to a lifestyle change. I joined the local YMCA and take all the free classes they offer and work out 2hrs a day. In the beginning it was only 20 or 30 min of walking, now I run 20 miles a week do zumba and spin classes 2 or 3 times a week each. I'm a diabetic so taking g off the lbs and counting carbs along with the workouts keeps it controlled. I was killing myself before now I'm in control. It can be done.
  • beckademic
    beckademic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How often are you weighing yourself? If I weighed myself everyday, I'd be up 1lb today another tomorrow down 2 the next, etc...and well, that would be frustrating. I weigh myself once a week, the same day, roughly the same time. Don't do it too often or you will go nuts!
This discussion has been closed.