New to lifting weights, limited equipment.. Help!

Options
I'm a petite, 5'1 woman at about 117 lb (don't weight myself regularly, judge progress by how my clothes fit, etc..)

I am just looking to build more lean muscle, and shed some of the fat. I've spent a great deal of time researching all of it, and I am pretty sure I am equipped with the knowledge I need to get started! (Despite all the conflicting information out there!) Anyway, the general consensus seems to be that lifting, and lifting heavy is the way to go.. (But do correct me if i'm wrong on this!)

I am averagely fit, I am definitely not unfit.. I have a good diet, and I understand that in incorporating lifting into my regime i'll need to up my calorie intake slightly, and my protein... Although i've always been good with my protein intake, providing myself with enough! But certainly because of my small frame I am not very strong, and the only weights I have at my disposal are 5lbs... (Left here from when my brother lived with me!) And tested them out, (not in a proper workout, just messing around) I can feel my arms aren't strong enough, as they're quite weak!

I unfortunately don't have the money at the moment for a gym membership, or to purchase a spanking new set of weights...

So really my question is, should I use these, and just do less reps to begin with, or should I try and strengthen my upper body through upper body exercises that don't use equipment for 3 - 4 weeks first?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing some workouts that use your body weight to strengthen, like fitnessblender.com or Jillian Michaels DVDs. Dont take this the wrong way but 5 lb dumbells wont do too much (my purse weighs more than 5 pounds) but you can incorporate your body weight and use those dumbells for some of the compound type movements until you can get some heavier weights... also you can sometimes find decent used equipment on websites/yard sales/swap meets/etc. Best wishes :)
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Folks who cannot have a gym membership nor home equipment would be best served by adopting some of the body weight workouts as used in boot camps or crossfit classes.

You will shred fat and build muscle (with a corresponding diet to match)

The only issue is a gym provides impetus, atmosphere and lack of distractions compared to say one's home or a park.

You will find many videos of home workouts ala TaeBoe, PX90, Insanity, Crossfit workout of the day, Boot Camps exercises, etc.

For example, planking(many versions), pushups will build chest, arms and core. There are derivatives of these to further shock your muscles.

Similar for legs just using body weight- lunges, squats, burpees, etc.

Then you can bear crawl, sprint, etc,etc
  • Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would agree. Doing things like pushups or other body weight exercises seem to be a good fit for your current strength level. Once you get to where those are easy, then start with the weights, because you'll have built the muscle strength to use weights more safely and productively.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is a great way to find bodyweight exercises. There's an app if you have a smartphone; and also a book and website.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    At the playground:

Negative pullups and chinups
    Bench dips or negative bar dips
    Pushups
    One leg lunges
    Pistol squats (you will need something to hold on to for balance and assistance at first)
    Jumping squats

Bring a plastic shopping bag and a friend to hold it, and you can do curls and triceps pull downs
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    what great info!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, also if you can bring a friend, he or she can help you do assisted pull-ups. Just fold your legs and have him or her support them.

Some of the most fit people are see are the guys and gals I meet at the playground when I go do my workouts.