Had my RMR tested. Best AU$129 I've ever spent.

Options
So I was a little concerned with the numbers MFP was spitting out. It was set to 1kg a week, even at 0.5kg a week, numbers were off. It wanted me to eat 1200 - 1400 calories a day, all the online calculators gave different numbers, none of them were accurate for me it seems.

So I went to a sports scientist and had my RMR tested, sat in a chair with a breathing tube for 15 minutes. My RMR (or Resting Metabolic Rate, which people often incorrectly refer to as BMR) is 2390 calories. If you live in South Eastern suburbs, Melbourne - Look up Bodyology Physical Performance Solutions in Notting Hill. The test also told me where my body is getting most of its energy from, 84.4% from stored fat, the rest from carbs. So he put me on a 40% protein, 40% carb, and 20% fat plan.

I'm male, 25 years old, 86kgs, 170cm, roughly 25% body fat. Turns out my metabolism is 24% faster than someone of similar age, weight, height etc..

So if your unsure, or at a plateau, or just want to be correctly informed - I highly recommend getting your metabolism tested.

Oh and I asked him about the "eating under your metabolic rate" issue, he said given that my body pulls most of its energy from body fat, its not an issue, as long as Im getting the correct amount of nutrients. The whole point of the exercise is to force your body to do it (use fat stores), which mine already is. Once you get into much much lower BF percentages and higher lean muscle mass, you re-do the test, to "re-calibrate" your macro nutrients ratio and calorie intake.

Non training days I'm on 1800-1900 calories. Training days 2000 - 2100 calories.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How accurate is such a test? Obviously more than online calculators, etc, but are we talking within 5% type accuracy?
  • benlogan87
    benlogan87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Definitely within 5%, if not spot on - it calculates it from the amount of oxygen you breath in, and carbon dioxide out. From that it can work out all that information. You cant eat, drink, exercise for at least 4 hours before the test, and generally first thing in the morning is an ideal time. Digestive system has to be totally inactive.
  • EmzBallet
    EmzBallet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much! I'm going to try something like that. Did you choose the "Metabolism Analysis with consult (1hr) " option? If so, I see the test only takes 15min, so what do you do for the remaining 45min?