Cross Fit

Options
Has anyone tried Cross Fit? I am seriously looking into a local gym. Would like to get some thoughts before pulling the trigger.

Replies

• katiekicks
    Options
    I've only done their workouts at home, but my local CrossFit offered a free tour and choice of classes for a week before you signed up. Check with yours and see if they offer and free trial period, I think most of them do. Good luck :-)
  • calpeachmfp
    calpeachmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's pretty crazy! I personally don't see the need in working out as fast and hard as I possibly can every single work out. I think there a lot of people who injure themselves . . . but, look into it and ask around. Go to a CrossFit gym to see for yourself. You can also do a lot of searches on the internet. I do like a lot of the exercises they use, just not the intensity, I guess. But then again, I'm not training for the Olympics or anything. : )
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of opinions here about CrossFit. Some are good, some are bad.

I love CrossFit. It works well for me. But it's all about how you like to work out and your own personal goals. Also, the CrossFit experience really depends on the gym (or box) you attend. Go check out your local facility and see if you like it. Ask a ton of questions, watch a class and make sure they have a training program for beginners. If it appeals to you and you get a good sense of the coaching style (and you like it), give it a shot!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My good friend is a coach at a local box and she's a BEAST!!! She is a very competitive person, and the "vibe" of crossfit works perfectly with her personality. I'm a bit more laid back (read easily intimidated) so I have resisted her many invitations to check it out. Maybe one day. But right now I'm happy pursuing my running. Give it a try. Any coach worth their weight in salt will have you scale back just about every exercise until you master the form. That should help keep you from getting overwhelmed. Good luck!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of opinions here about CrossFit. Some are good, some are bad.

I love CrossFit. It works well for me. But it's all about how you like to work out and your own personal goals. Also, the CrossFit experience really depends on the gym (or box) you attend. Go check out your local facility and see if you like it. Ask a ton of questions, watch a class and make sure they have a training program for beginners. If it appeals to you and you get a good sense of the coaching style (and you like it), give it a shot!

2nd this. I absolutely loved it when I did it last year. I had to quit b/c it was too much money each month.. but I want to start back up again ASAP.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    He's entitled to do whatever he wants, obviously. Just saying- it's been discussed at length numerous times and I'm sure lots of those threads contain useful information for him.

What are you, the entitlement police? GIve me a break.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    He's entitled to do whatever he wants, obviously. Just saying- it's been discussed at length numerous times and I'm sure lots of those threads contain useful information for him.

What are you, the entitlement police? GIve me a break.

lmao
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I've been doing crossfit for almost 4 months now and I love it.
  • PAULO65
    PAULO65 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just started a cross fit program with the intent of getting an evenly distributed workout of my entire body. My personal trainer is currently accessing where I'm at now and where I want to be. I'm probably in the pre-requiste stage which is ok with me. He has me do a different routine every time so my body can get adjusted to a cross fit program since all i did in the past was run. Outside of the gym there are physical demands(i.e. lifting, stretching, running, etc) that require repetition and endurance of all or parts of the body at the same time.
  • vanessamuffin
    Options
    I for one will try cross fit if I'm only 50 lbs overweight (estimate) since I want to protect my hip and knee joints from squats and jumps. I'm 35 so I'm starting to feel the toll of being overweight on my joints.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

2nd this. I absolutely loved it when I did it last year. I had to quit b/c it was too much money each month.. but I want to start back up again ASAP.

3rd this.