New on Keto and scared !

Options
Hello. After long battles with myself I decided to post here.
I decided to start a new diet today , after seeing some pictures on a friend's timeline( with meals and examples of people before and after keto diet). I'm currently 177cm and 64kg but I got tired of calories counting and thinking all the time about what/ what not to eat, how much left, should I or should I not and so on.
February this year I weighted 78 kg and decided to start the Scarsdale diet , and along with 3 times/week Kangoo Jumps training I got where I am today. The problem is that I cannot follow the Scarsdale diet anymore , and I became very picky about anything I eat. I cannot eat chicken or turkey anymore and I have a really hard time eating anything fat ( :( ). I am afraid I might get fat again, that's why I'm having second thoughts about this Keto diet ( even though I've seen results in many people)
So, please, if you have any advice for me, or information, or anything...

P.S. I used to eat 1200 kcal (max ! ) /day , so I freaked out after adding all I've been eating today in myfitnesspal journal.

Thank you so much in advance !
Brianna

P.S. 2 : this is what I ate today :
-one slice bran bread, butter 65%(on the bread), tuna on top of the butter, a tomato and coffee.
-one slice bran bread, butter 82%,fat cheese homemade, 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 capsicum,15 pcs of amonds, 1 kiwi si 2 chocolate squares 85% cocoa.
-450 g plain yoghurt 3.6% fat , 15 pcs nuts & 5 pcs hazelnuts ( both raw)

Uhm, that's it. So I'm scared. Help.

Thank you, again.

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Briana -- I don't think you are going to like what I am going to have to say. But you are not in any way shape or form fat. At at 177cm 84 kg, you never were. At that measurement, you were ate a 24.9 BMI, which is within the normal range of weight. Not even overweight and most certainly not obese. You currently are at a BMI of 20.4. I wouldn't lose anymore. You are only 6 kg away from being underweight.

You certainly seem to have an unhealthy relationship with food. I sense almost a fear in your post and that isn't healthy. Words like afraid, freak, scared. You can ignore me completely, but I really think you should talk with someone about this unhealthy relationship you have with the fear of food and the fear of getting fat. Because you aren't. I would be very worried that you could tend towards an eating disorder based upon what I read in your post.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting to what you post. But better safe than sorry. I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but that is what I feel reading your post.
  • Briana4613
    Options
    I appreciate every reply and opinion. No hard feelings regarding your opinion or anybody else's .
    The thing is that I want to continue, and hit 60kg and I will but I just want to do it the right way because I don't believe in starvation.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    Most of the people in this forum are going to tell you not to do this diet, even though they have probably never given it a try themselves. Look for the keto group on here, and also try http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo.

I've lost quite a bit of weight doing keto, and I love it. It works for me, and keeps my insulin resistance under control. You HAVE to eat high fat and moderate protein on this diet, or there is no point in bothering. Based on your original post, I don't think you'll like eating fat. I had trouble making myself eat more fat in the beginning, and now I love it. Instead of jumping straight in to doing the ketogenic diet, I would try slowly removing carbohydrates from your diet. Don't jump straight in all at once. You'll be more likely to succeed if you slowly transition.

Feel free to add me as a friend / message me for support!
  • Briana4613
    Options
    Thank you ! I'm browsing the forum now :)
  • blgmx
    blgmx Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have trouble eating fat, you are going to find a ketogenic diet very difficult and it is not something you can do part-way.
    I am on a restricted keto diet for health reasons and even with the stakes so high, it is extremely difficult. Sometimes I have to eat spoonfuls of butter on almond-meal crackers just to get my ratios right. Today, I put three tablespoons of regular mayo in a can of tuna packed in oil and I still had too much protein to fat!
    It's especially hard because, like you, I am used to eating a healthy low fat diet with lots of leafy greens.
    Hopefully, people will share some good recipes in the keto forums here.
    My nutritionist has been on a ketogenic diet for a long time and she looks great and has tons of energy, so I am optimistic that once my body makes the transition I will feel good again but be prepared for a few weeks of fatigue and brain fog.
    MyFitnessPal is the best tracker I have found but it doesn't help that it keeps telling me my fats are too high... not all of us are here for weight loss and I hope it will develop into a broader tool over time.
    Good luck!
  • juliasilver
    Options
    you can adjust your macro goals if you go to goals ---> customize (:
    i have mine customized to 65/30/5, fat/protein/carbs in favour of experimenting with keto
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you want to get into nutritional ketosis you can't really have bread. The only carbs you really can get away with would be from vegetables. Bread, even whole wheat is too refined and still high on the glycemic scale.
  • teaddicted
    Options
    you won't lose weight if you're eating bread on keto for sure! cut all the bread, the pasta, the potatoes, rice, etc.
    cut even the fruits and cheese for the first week and start with only eggs, meat and vegetables and then you can start to add cheese, peanuts, some fruits, when it's been few days.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Look for the keto group on here, and also try http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo.

What have you done!!! Once you reddit, you can't stop... :P
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

February this year I weighted 78 kg and decided to start the Scarsdale diet , and along with 3 times/week Kangoo Jumps training I got where I am today. The problem is that I cannot follow the Scarsdale diet anymore , and I became very picky about anything I eat. I cannot eat chicken or turkey anymore and I have a really hard time eating anything fat ( :( ). I am afraid I might get fat again, that's why I'm having second thoughts about this Keto diet ( even though I've seen results in many people)
    So, please, if you have any advice for me, or information, or anything...

Assuming no medical reasons to do so, fat loss is not significantly greater with a keto diet, so why do such a restrictive diet?
  • Briana4613
    Options
    @blgmx: it's been a week now since I started the diet , first day i just tried to figure out how to lower my carbs (and ate 83g , when i usually would've ate above 150g), and after that tried different kind of meals posted on reddit and pinterest, read some stuff and managed to lower my carbs to 38-39g , and went even lower to 19-20g . Today, I had 24g carbs , 126g of fat and 61 proteins.

@juliasfoster : I just did that. It tells me that at my kcal goal /day, I should eat only 21g carbs. So, I've been kinda high today. I'll take care from now on . It's just 1 thing that I cannot understand. All this week, because my Carbs were higher than 21g ( I won't mention those when I had below 20) , I never was in Ketosis?

@ngyoung : yes, I've figured that I cannot have bread from the first day I started the diet. But 3 days ago I've found a recipe (ok, I've found many but I have chosen this one) that is made with eggs and flaxseed meal and after all the math, each slice is below 1g of carb and I never eat more than one slice.

@besilentlydra : Yes, I don't eat pasta/ rice/ potatoes/bread. I'm eatting eggs, meat, butter 82% fat, heavy cream , fish, mayo, stuff. I'm adding it all in the journal so it's all written down so I will not make any kind of mistakes.

@Acg67 : No medical reason. I tend to eat lots durring exams ( I'm in med school) and that's why I had 78 kg. Before that I weighted 62kg and now, after the Scarsdale diet, I'm at 64. I cannot lose anymore, dunno why.I've had 64 since 4 months now. Some of my coleagues started the diet and it worked for them so I decided to try it . Beside the math and the stress of not forgeting to add what I eat in the journal, I don't find it restrictive. It's kinda joyfull ( all that fat that I never had before)...it's like Christmas everyday :D

Thank you all for your replies. Please correct me if I'm doing something wrong , I don't want to mess things up.