Shirataki Noodles?

Options
tothetide
tothetide Posts: 21 Member
So, I bought some Nasoya Shirataki noodle (fettuccine) and I used them in place of regular pasta in my Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo and I was SO disappointed.. I prepared them exactly as the package instructed but they tasted horrible :sick:
Does anyone know of a pasta sub I can use in my Alfredo recipe?
I love spaghetti squash but only on it's own or in place of regular spaghetti
Any tips/ideas would be appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I tried those noodles too. Awful but I haven't found a low calorie replacement for pasta except spaghetti squash.
  • tothetide
    Options
    Thanks! It's good to know I'm not the only one haha
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    They are disgusting. Apparently, Zucchini 'pasta' is pretty good.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I tried them too because I saw them on "Hungry Girl" on the Food Network. I was all excited....until I tried them. I gagged! Glad to know I'm not in the minority.
  • SusanDugas
    SusanDugas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    They are rather difficult to find in many places, but I have come across Fiber Gourmet Pasta... real pasta with part of the flour replaced with non-digestible fiber! It has only 130 calories per 2 oz dry/app 1 cup cooked, saving 80+ cals depnding on which pasta you normally use and cooks and tastes just like most pastas. I will admit that nothing compares to homemade egg noodles, but since you want a carrier for a sauce, this is perfect.
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have tried them more than once, and yes, at the end of the day, they are nasty. The texture... eeck...

For many years now, I have been using zucchini instead of pasta: slice the zucchini very thinly and cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.

Take out of the microwave, salt and let sit for a minute. Squeeze the extra water content and top with your favorite sauce (and some cheese, if you like).

Steamed/microwaved zucchini is tasteless, but it will serve as a support to any sauce quite well, really! So many calories saved...
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'll second zucchini noodles. Also just a tip; shirataki noodles are much nicer/better suited to asian dishes. They're suited more to a stir fry than a creamy sauce.
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    maybe try the miracle noodle brand tofu variety rinsed well n not alfredo but in italian pesto or asian peanut sauce idk i still havent tried them but ya ive heard these 2 sauces make them good!
  • lexiek47
    lexiek47 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    zucchini noodles are great and super healthy but i actually love shiratki noodles, ( i use the house foods ones) i don't find they have an aftertaste or weird texture at all. I usually just rinse them under warm water for about 5 minutes and then boil them for 3-5 and then add them to my dishes.

i'm not a fan of real pasta and neither is my stomach so i guess it's easier for me to like shirataki :)
  • desirail
    desirail Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love Dreamfields pasta. It has 190 calories per serving but only 5 digestible carbs.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. Get a julienne peeler and it will peel the zucchini into nice long pasta-like shreds.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini as well.
    Use a veggie peeler to make wide flat noodles, or a julienne peeler to make spaghetti sized noodles.
    I prefer to toss mine for a few minutes in a pan with a pat of butter, garlic, and some salt. I prefer my noodles al dente, so I basically toss them long enough to warm them up, then remove from pan before they get too soft.
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    Oh and I couldn't stand the flavor of those noodles either.
    I tried pan frying, steaming, and a few other methods....it always comes out disgusting and rubbery. Ugh!!!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Zucchini ribbons made with a vegtable peeler work great in place of fetticine . Or get a veg noodle peeler on Amazon for 9 bucks and u can turn anything into a noodle :wink:
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love Dreamfields pasta. It has 190 calories per serving but only 5 digestible carbs.

Be careful with Dreamfields if you are insulin resistant or watching carbs.. studies prove that the claims are false and can still effect insulin levels.. Tried it once, tasted great but blood sugar was 318 like I had eaten regular spaghetti.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are complaining about the flavor...they taste like nothing to me. Are you rinsing them really well before preparing? They've got a fishy smell right out of the package (apparently that's what the Japanese market prefers..?) but once well-rinsed they're just neutral. Try the ones with tofu added - a few more calories but they have a firmer texture.
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are complaining about the flavor...they taste like nothing to me. Are you rinsing them really well before preparing? They've got a fishy smell right out of the package (apparently that's what the Japanese market prefers..?) but once well-rinsed they're just neutral. Try the ones with tofu added - a few more calories but they have a firmer texture.

^^^ this. People need to stop expecting them to taste like pasta because OBVIOUSLY they won't. They won't taste of anything on their own but if your rinse them then dry fry them and add a crap ton of flavour to the pan they're excellent!
    They're exactly the same texture as vermicelli rice noodles, no big deal
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    I wasn't expecting them to taste like pasta- they aren't made from anything near the same ingredients.
    The texture (after rinsing well, preparing, then pan frying) was still rubbery/gummy and off-putting to me.

To each his/her own, but these noodles are NOT for me.
  • tothetide
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses! I really do appreciate it!
    I think I will try the tofu noodles but make them in an Asian type dish instead of trying to sub them in.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I thought this said Shakira noodles at first. I am sad.