Running newbie - couch-to-5k, Haaaaaard!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I started the RunDouble couch-to-5k program, and I'm on week 4.

My questions is for any runners out there who did a similar program - does it get easier soon??? God above, i feel like I'm dying doing the run intervals (now up to 3 and 5 mins running (and by running, I mean jogging my gasping *kitten*...), 2x, with walking in between). Maybe its just this humidity recently, but even getting up in the morning before it gets hot....not going so well.

I want to be able to run a _decent_ 5k, but while I've been moving up through the weeks and can force myself to run the longer times, its really freaking hard!!

Are some people just not cut out to be runners?

Any tips people can give me to help out with this endeavor?

btw, 29y/o female.

Thank you!

You will run a decent 5k, but not if you burn yourself out first.

When you run, slow down, then slow down some more, this will keep your heartrate at a reasonable level instead of at maximum which is what it sounds like you are doing at the moment.

I promise you, running will get easier, just slow down for now. There is plenty of time later on to pick up on speed, at the moment you just need to complete the c25k course and then you will be able to pace judge yourself and move onwards and upwards.

When you run, slow down, then slow down some more, it does work :flowerforyou:
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just started as well, I am on week one. I downloaded the free app on my IPhone. Yesterday was day three and I didn't make it the 30 minutes. My shins were absolutely killing me. This may sound crazy but they bothered me less when I was jogging for the 60 second compared to the 90 seconds of walking.
  • hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

My questions is for any runners out there who did a similar program - does it get easier soon??? God above, i feel like I'm dying doing the run intervals (now up to 3 and 5 mins running (and by running, I mean jogging my gasping *kitten*...), 2x, with walking in between). Maybe its just this humidity recently, but even getting up in the morning before it gets hot....not going so well.

I want to be able to run a _decent_ 5k, but while I've been moving up through the weeks and can force myself to run the longer times, its really freaking hard!!

btw, 29y/o female.

Thank you!

Ooh you made me lol! My gasping *kitten* is also struggling, I can sympathise! I have also thought I am just not cut out for running bu am paying it turns around soon! Good luck with it, keep it up!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fiona101a
    fiona101a Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE! Unless you're trying to beat Bolt, you should be able to run and carry out a conversation - if you're about to pass out, then you're running too fast - SLOW DOWN - that was the biggest lesson I learned when I joined a running club to prepare for the Dublin Women's Mini Marathon (10K) a few years ago, and it was the best advice ever. You only need to be out of breath when sprinting, and that's not what Couch to 5 K is about

Keep going, just A LOT SLOWER, and you'll find yourself wanting to go out more - the reason why I love the Runkeeper App's 5 K for beginners (same as couch to 5k, except it's free!) is it gives regular updates as you run, telling you of your pace, etc, so it reminds me to slow down because I always start too quick, so I slow down and can keep going to longer.

Keep it up, it was be soooo worth it!

Fiona
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • fiona101a
    fiona101a Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got shinsplints - very painful - I got them when I started running from wearing old runners - they looked fine but I soon found out they weren't!

#1 - to fix the shinsplints - a super tip that works that I picked up from an oldtimer in Tallaght Athletics Club - soak bandages in vinegar and wrap them tightly (but don't cut of circulation!) round your shins. Put your feet up for an hour and do this for a couple of evenings in a row. Yeah the sitting room will stink, but you'll be amazed how it works. Don't know how, but it does!

#2 - you need to get yourself new runners - they don't have to cost the earth but they do need good support - I love Asic's Kayano but find what works for you and stick to it. These are a big pricey, but as my physio says 'either spend it on the runners or on physio'! If you can afford it, go get yourself gait analysis - 53degrees north and running shops will do this - it's generally free cos you're buying the runners. A little bit more expensive, but then you get your next pair on the internet cheaper! If you can't stretch to this, and lets face it, a lot of us can't (mine were a present!), just get yourself anything on sale that feels comfortable and feels like it has good support.

Good luck, stick with it - it'll be worth it in the end!

Fiona
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Oh man, when I first started running I felt like I was going to DIE!! But it honestly does get easier, just like anything. I just started at a slow pace and did intervals between walking and jogging/running and built up from there.

As for the shin splints, I got those A LOT at first. What I found worked best for me was to ice my legs for about 20 minutes after my run. It helped a lot.

Good running shoes are a must!
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is a great forum. I am on week 4 of a 10 week beginner program to train for a 5k and have used several of the tips provided here. Thanks for the motivation!
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I stopped for over a year- Gah-
    was doing 5km in 26 mins- on treadmill ( easier), but would like to begin again.

Day 1 today. I suck!

I find it really hard not to run in time with the beat of my songs, so for example when " American Idiot" by Green Day came on I was running faster than a newbie should.
    I have no plan- just run one song walk the next.... is this bad?
    Does anyone have a decent sound track that fits with a c25k android program?

I'm loving this thread - Runners I salute you!

I feel ya! I definitely need the music to be cooperating with whatever I'm running at. Have you ever tried www.jog.fm? I LOVE IT. SO MUCH. Haha. You just put in whatever your mile pace is, and it will give you a list of songs that have the correct bpm to have you in step - it's been a super lifesaver for me. I use the site to figure out a playlist and then get it on my rdio app - LOVE. Lovelovelovelove.
  • HippieChickadee
    Options

btw, 29y/o female.

Thank you!

I know you posted this over a month ago, but I just had to respond to tell you you're not alone!!!!!!

I'm 30, just decided out of the blue I wanted to run (over weight and all) so I downloaded a C25K program and what you described is me!!!

Jogging, not really running (yet?), gasping, practically dragging my right foot on the last run... I keep thinking "my God am I stroking out? Is this ever going to get easier?"

I'm excited to read everyones response now- but I just had to send a "heeeey" to out to ya!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I stopped for over a year- Gah-
    was doing 5km in 26 mins- on treadmill ( easier), but would like to begin again.

Day 1 today. I suck!

I find it really hard not to run in time with the beat of my songs, so for example when " American Idiot" by Green Day came on I was running faster than a newbie should.
    I have no plan- just run one song walk the next.... is this bad?
    Does anyone have a decent sound track that fits with a c25k android program?

I'm loving this thread - Runners I salute you!

Try jogfm. You can put in your pace and they will give you song suggestions based on the beats per minute. Maybe you can find some songs that you enjoy to run to that aren't too fast.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Your post is making me laugh so hard because when I started C25K over two months ago, I asked my coworker the exact same question. "When does the pain go away?" After week 1, my legs felt like they were going to fall off. I even gave up for a week after week 2 because I didn't think it was worth it. But, after some gentle encouragement from a friend, I got back into it. Each week felt really hard at first but then day 2 felt less hard (I wouldn't call it "easier"). I noticed that after a few weeks, my legs felt fine but breathing was a challenge. Eventually, I was able to get through my run without any pain. I wouldn't say that I "love" running, but I love how I feel after and I love the feeling of accomplishment.

I finished Week 8 last week and today I ran 3 miles in 33 minutes. If I can do it, literally anyone can do it. I still have a hard time calling myself a "runner". I just don't believe it!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! It does get easier, but it is not a linear process. Some days you feel great and pick up speed, other days you can't wait for it to be over. The main thing is to get the miles in even if it is slow. Good luck on your 5K! Mine is Sept. 14.
  • Lpeterson189
    Lpeterson189 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey Running Friends! OP here with a GREAT UPDATE!

I DID MY 5K!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I ran (jogged) the WHOLE thing! I didnt walk once! I finished in 39 minutes!

So freaking proud of myself. My brother in law was such a great support, he's a runner too, but he kept with me the whole time.

Thanks everyone here for your great advice! I'm going to keep running, next 5k I'm doing is in November, maybe next year I'll work up to 10k :wink:
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

So freaking proud of myself. My brother in law was such a great support, he's a runner too, but he kept with me the whole time.

Thanks everyone here for your great advice! I'm going to keep running, next 5k I'm doing is in November, maybe next year I'll work up to 10k :wink:

Congrats!!
  • michellenichole83
    michellenichole83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Way to go! I did c25k a couple years ago, then got pregnant (read:fat again), and just recently decided to start running again. I'm not doing a program this time, just listening to my body. I ran (slogged) a 5k+ (3.25m) in 42 mins on Friday, then signed up for a 5k on Sunday. Little did I know, the 5k is THIS Sunday! My goal is sub 40 :-)

So glad you made it thru yours! You're an inspiration for people like me!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Week for is the life changing week! I thought i would have to stay at week for for another week but i pushed through, and it was gravy!

I still start to flag around 25 minutes, but i can push through and finish a 5k in about 35 minutes... I remember doing cartwheels over 6 minutes!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

That is so awesome, and what a great time, congratulations! Thanks for coming back and telling us :flowerforyou:
  • Carpaydeeum
    Options
    It does get easier. Id agree withthe comments suggesting you take it slow w the running parts.