Digital vs. Analog scale

Options
I bought a digital scale and it reads me as 4-5 pounds heavier than my analog (it gives me almost a 1 pound range everytime I use it! so its already somewhat innaccurate). Which is meant to be better, though?

Replies

• mydearestjoanne
    mydearestjoanne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale. If you move it you have to weigh yourself twice. The first weight will not be accurate. Have you weighed yourself more than once at a time to test the precision? You can also put weights on the scale to test accuracy.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i trust digital more
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    Personally, I trust my analogue.

It gives me a pretty decent reading each time and if i weigh myself twice it's the same weight.

Every digital scale I've ever used measures me differently each time I use it.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    not all digital scales are built alike. neither are analog ones. The key is finding one you like and using it regularly. Accuracy is less important than consistency.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    How do you know the analog one is accurate and the digital isn't? It could very easily be the other way around. In reality as long as you weigh yourself on the same scales in the same place at the same time you will then get an accurate guide. The numbers don't in reality matter it's the consistency. There are many variables that can change those numbers do minimizing them is the key and using them as one of the guides to your weight loss
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit aria and it seems good. I wish I could weigh in on the moon, though.
  • pinkstargem
    pinkstargem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Digital for me. I think whichever scale you user it should always read you the same. So choose which you like and monitor your weight on that one, or for a while use both to check you trust them both lol!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have 40 year old analog scale from my boyfriends grandmother and it is spot on. I know that because having to fly regularly needing to weigh hand luggage, the scale is always spot-on with the ones at the airport.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I also use an old analog scale, which I like for two reasons:

--I can see whether or not the needle is aligning with zero before I step on, and whether it re-aligns with zero when I step off. If it isn't aligned, as often happens as the scale shifts around on the tile floor of my bathroom, I can use the dial to adjust it. I suspect that similar misalignments could occur inside a digital scale, but you'd never see it.

--I use the scale as a trend tool, so I actually like not having a precise number readout. I think I'd go crazy if I could see my weight down to the tenth of a pound. I've been maintaining for a year and my weight goes up and down within a 4 pound range, which I know is just normal water fluctuations. I don't need to know if I weigh 0.2 pounds more or less than yesterday, I just need to see that the needle is pointing to the correct zone on the scale.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit aria and it seems good. I wish I could weigh in on the moon, though.

This scale is awesome! All I have to do is step on it and my weight and bf% are synced to MFP and Trendweight where I can look at my progress. The ups and downs don't bother me as I can see they are normal. Have fun graphing your progress manually!

6m.png
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers digital and it varies 2.5- 2.8 kg PLUS. If I allow it to turn off and back on again and change position it will change and show more/less. But it also analyses body fat which interests me more than weight loss. But overall...I prefer the analogue one! Too bad I threw it away when I got the WW. wish I didn't!
    My friend weighs in at Boots(uk) every couple of weeks, that's not bad either!
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This morning I got a range between 150 to 165. This thing is going back to the store.
  • kuroi19
    kuroi19 Posts: 45
    Options
    Obviously depends on the quality of the scale (not always dictated by price)

I would go with Digital purely because it doesn't leave you wondering "hey, is that arrow leaning more towards the left than last week or is it just my imagination?"
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    my experience

AVDOO5Ls.jpg
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    hahaha, exactly how i feel! I weighed my daughter on a baby scale and found out it is weighing me at more