Counting Calories Accurately - Tips & Methods

Options

Replies

• nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    since when does peanut butter have calories?

I know, right?! MY peanut butter is calorie-free! HAHA. Oh, I wish!
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Cant you weigh meat cooked?
  • annenhie
    annenhie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great tips!

For now all I can do is to not eat max of my recommended calorie intake here coz I know a lot of the food recorded here are low-balling calories. And also not eating back exercise calories or if i do over eat my calories, i'd need to have at least 300 more on exercise.

Just a few of the things I can do while traveling and can't cook my own food.
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to invest in a food scale and pick up on some of these tips. Perhaps this is the answer to some of my recent confusion when it comes to my weight.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When in doubt regarding the accuracy of an item, I compare it to the USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory Food Lists ( http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list ) This database has foods listed by 100 gram portion, and several other options. Example: Apples, raw, with skin is listed by Value per 100.0g, 1cup, quartered or chopped (125g), 1 cup slices (109g), 1 large (3-1/4" dia. 223g), 1 medium (3" dia. 182g), 1 small (2-3/4" dia. 149g), 1 extra small (2-1/2" dia. 101g), or NLEA serving 242g.

If an item in the MFP does not list grams, I go to the USDA database and use this information to create a new entry in "My Foods" . And, I always enter things in the "My Foods" list as 100g. It is easier, and much more likely to be accurate, if I enter the portion of 100g I am using, than if I am trying to adjust cups to tablespoons (FYI- 2T = 0.125 cups of flour or 15g).

As far as weighing meats cooked or uncooked - there are usually entries in the USDA database that list it either way. I use raw weights when entering a recipe (Beef Stew), and cooked weight when eating it plain (steak). I use raw weights to build my MFP recipe, and indicate how many servings the recipe will serve. Once cooked, I weigh the entire batch and divide by number of servings. If the Beef Stew I created makes 4 servings and the entire batch weighs 728g, I know that one serving is 182g. I can then dish out my 182g and know, with relative accuracy, that I am eating the number of calories I think I am.
    As a side note - that pot of beef stew will need to be weighed every time I make it, because sometimes I cook out more liquid than other times. I either portion it all out right then, or I will modify my recipe title to indicate what the current serving size is - Beef Stew (182g serving).
  • LeboMatho
    LeboMatho Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bumping for later, thanks.:smile:
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump to save
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • gmarrier
    gmarrier Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great information... Bump.
  • AztecKermit
    AztecKermit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for writing this post, well worth reading.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Bump, and save!
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    bump to save
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If a food listed in MFP only has a volume measurement and it’s not a free pouring liquid, ignore it, go the label or the producer’s website and find the calories by weight. If this fails, consider not eating that food. I’m not kidding.

That advice makes me sad. : (

I know people do that sort of thing, but I hate to think of people giving up foods just because their calorie count might have a margin of error of more than a couple calories.

Yeah, I agree. If I had listened to the "always weigh your food" crowd in the beginning, I would have failed before I started because I had no money to buy a food scale. I lost the first 60 pounds while using only volume measurements for *every* thing. When my mom gave me a food scale about a month ago, I started weighing everything and found that I was *spot on* in my volume measurements. For anyone that had Home Ec or cooking classes in high school. you learned how to correctly measure a variety of things by volume. There is a right and a wrong weigh to measure various dry goods. If you are fitting 60g of oatmeal in a 1/2 cup measuring scoop, then you didn't take any cooking classes and should educate yourself. And mustard? How much mustard are people *dumping* on their sandwiches that the 5 calorie per tsp difference is going to close their calorie deficit? :noway:

It reminds me of all the veteran runners that tell the newbies that they *have* to go to a fancy running store and get 3-figure customized running shoes or else they will have to just give up and stick to the couch. Poor people can do this!

There were a lot of good tips in the OP, for sure. But I will never weight out any super-low cal stuff like spinach or mustard. I estimate on low calorie veggies and condiments. I think playing it smart makes more sense than playing it OCD.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If a food listed in MFP only has a volume measurement and it’s not a free pouring liquid, ignore it, go the label or the producer’s website and find the calories by weight. If this fails, consider not eating that food. I’m not kidding.

I'll be eager to see how long one can last under a "diet" that follows a rule like this.

First of all, your food label is not 100% accurate. So go ahead, find the grams, weigh the food, but know that even that is purely an estimate. Your 103g of an apple or 40g of oatmeal is not precise even with a precise weight.

I mean, I weigh stuff. I use my food scale multiple times a day. I certainly use it for mayo, peanut butter, and things like oats, rice, etc.

But the line between accuracy and insanity is pretty clear to me.

Live the healthiest life you can enjoy - that's the motto I've lived with, and as you can see from my ticker, I've been pretty successful. Many of us cannot enjoy a life that involves choosing not to eat foods because they're not listed in the MFP database in grams. Damn.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I'll be eager to see how long one can last under a "diet" that follows a rule like this.

First of all, your food label is not 100% accurate. So go ahead, find the grams, weigh the food, but know that even that is purely an estimate. Your 103g of an apple or 40g of oatmeal is not precise even with a precise weight.

I mean, I weigh stuff. I use my food scale multiple times a day. I certainly use it for mayo, peanut butter, and things like oats, rice, etc.

But the line between accuracy and insanity is pretty clear to me.

Live the healthiest life you can enjoy - that's the motto I've lived with, and as you can see from my ticker, I've been pretty successful. Many of us cannot enjoy a life that involves choosing not to eat foods because they're not listed in the MFP database in grams. Damn.

:drinker:
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about how to measure peanut butter as well! I have not had any PBJ's for that reason. I knew I wouldn't eyeball 2 Tablespoons good enough (and will probably need 3 or 4 T), plus I was going to be irritated if I used a Tablespoon and a bunch of the peanut butter stuck to it...Thanks!

That really helped me out too. now I can actually use butter now too and not under/over estimate!
  • laurenisfitforlife
    laurenisfitforlife Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but thank you so much for posting it - very informative!
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Who has time for this?

How do I know how many calories is in x # of grams of the noodles and home made tomato based meat sauce has?

I'll be frank, most of the food I make doesn't take "1 tbs of sugar, 1/4 tbs oregano, 1/2 tbs basil. It is more like, I will buy this excessively expensive pack of "low fat" ground beef and divide it into two chunks which may or may not be exactly the same size and certainly aren't the same size as the last two I made from the last batch of ground beef I bought that was most certainly not the exact same wright. Lets cut about half the onion up... okay that looks good, some garlic.... yeah that looks about right... wait I like garlic, one more clove would be good then tip the bottle of whatever spice into the pan and that looks good too. Mix in some cans of tomato sauce, rinse the sides with water (cause you know, it needs to simmer and be able to boil down and all that jazz). It already takes an hour to make dinner, then another hour to feed it to the super slow eating short versions of me and then I get to clean up. With kids hollering about dinner while I cook I can't imagine taking longer to be so precise, getting additional dishes dirty (measuring cups/spoons) just so that I have to clean up more dishes...

/baffled There are clearly just not enough hours in my day.