Ladies...

Options
I'm wondering about weight gain in your cycle. Do you gain weight before your period -- and if so, how much? How soon before your period do you notice the gain? And at what point do you see the weight level back off-- I guess... how long does it take for you, specifically?

My period is scheduled to start in 9 days. 5 days ago I weighed in (Friday) and I was down... so happy. Saturday morning I got on the scale... just keeping track... and I was up 4 pounds. Is it normal to gain weight MID-cycle? Today I weighed myself again and it's still the same as it was on Saturday. I haven't been over eating at all plus I've done a lot of walking - only a couple days of strength training.... no big deal. Actually I worked out yesterday-- expecting to be sore today and I wasn't. So maybe I didn't work hard enough.

I'll still weigh in on Friday. I'm trying not to get on it as often as I WAS... but I thought 4 days would be enough time to have any water weight drop off... (whether from the cycle or from working out/water retention.) I've never paid attention to my weight in conjunction to my cycle so I'm not sure at what point people typically see their weight go up/down.

Replies

• tinyfitlauren
    Options
    I find that my weight fluctuates a lot around my period - I'm not sure how long before/after it starts and stays but I'm pretty sure its more like 3 days rather than 9, but everyone is different.

Possibly increased water intake or increased/decrease in activity? I find that when I start working out after a long break I will gain around 4 lbs and then it all falls off eventually, or even if I up my workouts. Other factors could be playing a role, so don't limit it just to your cycle!

Hope I helped, you probably knew some of this already :flowerforyou:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm actually up a couple of pounds around ovulation, but then down at the start of my period.
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ladies.

Well, I'll definitely keep a mental note. Maybe I'll compare my weekly weigh ins to my cycle and see, over the course of a month or two, where my gains are. And it's true-- it could totally be something else. I'm trying to pin point what it is so I can address it if need be. If it ends up seeming to be cycle related- then of course there is nothing I can do.

I just saw another post about weighing your food accurately in order to record the appropriate calories, etc. I might need to invest in a food scale and just make sure I'm not sabotaging myself. I'll also record my inches to see if that changes at all over the course of a month or two.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Answering this question was the reason why I started weighing myself every day; I seem to fluctuate about 1 pound from day to day, and I did not notice any difference related to my period. I do seem however to drop about 2 pounds after ovulation, but that may just be a coincidence (i've only been logging for 3 months).
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My weight is at it's highest about 2-3 days into my cycle and at it's lowest at about 18-20 days into my cycle with an increase beginning around day 20. I also notice carb cravings anywhere from day 14-day 20 and again around day 2. They usually only last a couple of days they level off (the cravings).