Vibration Training - Your Views

kckc69
kckc69 Posts: 46 Member
Ok so I have one of these things at home I bought off Trade me (an auction site) but basically moved straight after and its been packed away, typical. Anyways, so I got it out a couple of weeks ago and Ive been using it most days, so I personally dont know if these things are successful for losing weight or toning BUT I have noticed my ciculation has improved Dramtically!!! I have poor circulation in especially my legs where i could sit on the floor for less than a minute and get pins and needles, but now my circulation is sooooo much better I can sit on the floor for ages and dont get them at all, Im guessing in turn this has to be helping my lymphatic drainage system also.

Anywyas so what im getting at is, what is everyones views on these machines, does anyone have any personal success stories or think they are full of ..... well....... you know what i mean.

Replies

• kyrubas
    kyrubas Posts: 6 Member
    If it's not getting your heart rate up or causing you to exert any effort, then simply put the machine is exerting all of the energy and you're not expending any energy and thus there will not be a calorie deficit. If there is not a calorie deficit then the machine is not contributing towards weight loss.
  • kckc69
    I agree, dont think it burns calories, how about toning??? if positions are performed right it can be painful (good pain) but not sure if its any worse that just doing the positions normally ie squats, push ups etc.
    Id love to hear from people who have ever used these machines on a regular basis and seen results, or not
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Weight loss wise, it's a great machine to use if you want to get exactly the same results as not using it.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    This sounds similar to a TENS unit from physical therapy, electrical muscle stimulation to promote blood flow and healing. Not sure about toning or weight loss, but it definitely helps with healing the tissues.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Hi there,

I used a Power Plate in the UK when they first came out (along with a cardio program) and I did see a difference in tone in the back of the legs & bum - even other people commented that it gave me a 'bubble butt' (lifted it).

I understand what you mean about the increase in circulation - it made my nose and legs itch!

I stopped using it due to concerns about having an IUD recently fitted and I moved back to NZ.

When I came back, I bought a machine off Trade Me as well, but it was a Mini Massager and it has a different movement to the Power Plate (and was about 10x cheaper). It was heavy, noisy, clunky and I wasn't noticing much of a difference so I gave it away.

The very best thing I am finding for toning & weight loss is the Jillian Michaels DVDs - HIIT /circuit training with your own body weight.
  • Katerina67
    Katerina67 Posts: 21
    I attended vibration training class many many years ago and I lost about 5 kilos after just few short workouts and it also was very good for stretching (after a couple of workouts I could do a split, but I was quite flexible back then to begin with). But the workouts were making me sick (like motion sickness), so I stopped. Few years later I wanted to take this class again, but it was cancelled, because there were some concerns, like this kind of training might be not good for you. I was surprised to find out a couple of years ago that this kind of training is in again. I am talikng about exercises with the vibration machines, not the technique when you make your body vibrate by itself.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    is it that thing on your head?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Um......where does one use a vibrating trainer? I'd like to know. For Science.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    I consistently incorporate "vibration training" into my daily routine. My results vary, but I find it to be generally very satisfying.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Pretty sure using a used "vibration trainer" is not good for your health

With that being said

IN for the science behind vibration training

Always
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Sitting on them helps your circulation as well.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    My vibration trainer works wonders for my circulation er'day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,945 Member
    The ones for home use are pretty worthless with the exception for increasing circulation. While vibration training on power plates has been shown to help increase strength, the resistance used was from progressive weight lifting.
    "Shaking" a muscle isn't going to tone it up. Progressive resistance training does.

Just remember that back in the day they had shaker belts claiming the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • After using a WBV machine at my physical therapist's for months - I broke down and bought my own. I'm not affilitated with this company in any way but I LOVE my Noblerex Platinum. It has an oscillating platfrom with is different from a Power Plate which goes side to side and can be hard on joints/back. I have degenerative disc disease, 3 broken vertebrae, and MS> I bought my machine a year ago and use it at least 5 days a week. Within a few months of using, my circulation iincreased, eased back pain tremendously, helped digestion isssue, the list goes on and on. Being in my early 40's I particularly love the "natural facelift" its given me. My face has always been very thin and it seems to have jiggled my face muscles back into place or something. ANway, I could go on and on about this machine. I has truly changed my life. I can stand for longer than 5 minutes and walk without pain most days. If you research oscillating machines, there are some amazing testimonials out there - originally developed in Russia for their astronauts, then Olympic team. Cheers!
  • afcukit
    afcukit Posts: 2
    I have one with arm bands which tone the upper body if you exercise on it you definitely will tone and burn calories but if you just stand you won't tone as fast great for stress release and to relax you (good feeling after) i found videos of different types of exercise on youtube
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    I was strongly advised by a physiotherapist not to use one who said that they are renowned for increasing back problems. I don't know what the evidence behind this is but decided against it anyway.
  • kckc69
    Yay its nice to see some positive comments. Thanks everyone i like to get each sides point of views
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    I consistently incorporate "vibration training" into my daily routine. My results vary, but I find it to be generally very satisfying.

^^^^ I was just thinking this lol

As for weight loss... No idea, but my chiropractor uses it to help my muscles relax after he's popped everything back into place.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Vibration training has been shown to have benefits with specific types of training and for certain medical conditions. (You'll note that most of the positive testimonials are from people with that background). So it's not completely bogus. However I don't know how much efficacy it has for the average exerciser. And from what I have read, the weight loss "benefits" right now are more woo than science. But a lot more research needs to be done in that area.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    kckc69 wrote: »
    Ok so I have one of these things at home I bought off Trade me (an auction site) but basically moved straight after and its been packed away, typical. Anyways, so I got it out a couple of weeks ago and Ive been using it most days, so I personally dont know if these things are successful for losing weight or toning BUT I have noticed my ciculation has improved Dramtically!!! I have poor circulation in especially my legs where i could sit on the floor for less than a minute and get pins and needles, but now my circulation is sooooo much better I can sit on the floor for ages and dont get them at all, Im guessing in turn this has to be helping my lymphatic drainage system also.

Anywyas so what im getting at is, what is everyones views on these machines, does anyone have any personal success stories or think they are full of ..... well....... you know what i mean.

Hey, if it's helping your circulation, that's reason enough to keep using it :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    icyeyes317 wrote: »
    This sounds similar to a TENS unit from physical therapy, electrical muscle stimulation to promote blood flow and healing. Not sure about toning or weight loss, but it definitely helps with healing the tissues.

I love my TENS.