Binging and calories

Options
Hi Everyone,
I have been trying to loose a few kg so have set my daily calories at 1500 per day. Last Thursday I ended up binging all day and consumed in excess of 3500 calories. I then decided to restrict the following two days to 1000 calories, and the last three days to 1200 calories, to make up for my excessive binge. However on the last two days I have gove way over 1200 calories and ended up binging on a lot of food- Id say around 2500!

Help! What should I do? I have binged today and don't know what to do (i.e.should I restrict tomorrow or will this make it worse?)

Thanks to anyone who helps! Feeling very stuck!

Replies

• Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi Erinmcf3, I can't see much about you on your profile, but I think we all struggle to get out of bad eating habits.
    You could ease yourself into things with a more achievable targert (0.5lbs loss a week)
    If you were a binger before you started, you will still have to keep that habit in check, or make yourself budget IN ADVANCE!

A whole 15 inch cheesy pizza is a lot less appitising when you have to spend 3 hours in the gym beforehand :)
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself! After a binge just carry on as normal, drink plenty of water and get some good fruit and veg in. Don't restrict afterwards, it will only make you overeat again. Maybe go for a walk instead or some other form of exercise. Also maybe try to address the reasons you are bingeing and try and overcome them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself! After a binge just carry on as normal, drink plenty of water and get some good fruit and veg in. Don't restrict afterwards, it will only make you overeat again. Maybe go for a walk instead or some other form of exercise. Also maybe try to address the reasons you are bingeing and try and overcome them.

this
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you do have a binge dust yourself off and move on. I wouldn't restrict as I believe it would set me up for another binge.

You might want to investigate mindfulness. A lot of my bingeing happens when I turn my back on one inner voice and start listening to another one - the one that wants me to cram my pie hole full of nonsense. Mindfulness allows pauses where you can give your positive inner voice time to be heard. Rubbish explanation, soz.

Also make the calories you do eat count. I fill myself with protein and veg and yummy home cooked food. I go full fat on most things as it helps with keeping me full.

It's early doors for me and I have a way to go but the biggest thing isn't what I'm eating to be fair - it's what is going on in my head and how much attention I'm paying. I'm determined to have a healthier relationship with food, it just takes time.

Good luck
  • andypandy1109
    andypandy1109 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That is called yo yo dieting and is dangerous and stopping the spiral is hard.
    So if your body needed to binge why did you think cutting out all those cals would help. You could not manage on the amount you had so you have no chance on cutting them to the bone.

Personally I would forget about what you have done in the form of not putting it right.
    But would think more of why you needed a binge in the first place
    Binges tend to happen when a body is deprived of food groups thus depleting its mineral and vitamin levels once this has been depleted your body will graze until it finds whet it needs.
    Dieting is not about starvation nor deprivation its about balance...learning to balance the right amount of food needed to sustain life without weight gain...we have not achived that and therefore are having to learn how to have enough calories to sustain life and to burn a little more than we eat...hence a weight loss.
    Now if that weight loss weekly is huge...then you will find it hard to sustain...aiming for a pound a week is possible without doing without ...so a pound a week you recon thats rubiish...ok then think of all the weeks you tried and lost nothing / gained / or lost less than...and on the + side a lb a week is 52lb in a year and that cannot be sniffed at...xxx
    Today is a fresh start carve your cals up into 3 meals and plan from there
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've had moments like that before as well, one day ends up way over than I had meant it to be. Also like you I would try and make up for it the next day to make the week balance out. Sometimes it would work for me but a lot of the time I would still feel hungry enough I would give in and end up eating a bit more, and sometimes that bit more would end up bringing my day to another disaster day.

After a lot of practice when this situation comes up I have found that it's just best to stick to my original goal the following days after. If I ate too little I would potentially get hungry and binge again, cue the cycle. I had to just get in the habit of trying to hit my goal all the time so I could get in a steady habit of meeting that goal every day. Now I have learned how better to handle a random binge day and I can eat less the next day to make up for it but it took me quite a few tries and a lot of patience with myself to get there.

If you find yourself constantly yo-yo-ing like that I would do two things: 1) spend more time in the morning, or the night before, planning what you think you may eat the next day to give yourself a bit of a road map as to what and when you plan to eat. That way you can see what your intake is and seeing your food day planned out may help to avoid overindulging. 2) try and figure out why you are binging. Is it an emotional response? Do you just feel hungry? It could be that your intake it set too low and you are just not eating enough to keep hunger pangs away so you can't help but want to eat more.

A trick I was able to pick up that helped me refocus during times I wanted to grab something to eat (usually just because I was bored) was to keep tic-tacs or gum nearby. Sometimes I wasn't really looking for something to eat but I just wanted something to do and chewing gum or sucking on a mint would help.
  • erinmcf3
    Options
    Thank-you so so so much to all those who replied! I am so greatful to have the support of all of you! I have struggled with anorexia in the past which turned into binge eating disorder and although I hoped those days were behind me I fear that they are not.
    I know the rational decision would be not to restrict, but it can be so hard when you feel like you will gain so much weight if you don't restrict. This however will only set me up for binging.

Thank you so much for the help. I really really appreciate it :) All the best to all of you!
  • Ybul
    Ybul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This pretty much sums up my last few days. I too suffered from anorexia, and fear I have been slipping into BED. I completely understand how you're feeling. As hard as it is to believe this myself, I think the best way is, as everyone else has mentioned, just to pick yourself up and get on with it. I find the more I dwell, the worse I feel about myself, and the more likely I am to just think 'Screw it, I don't even care anymore,' and just repeat the cycle. Hang in there, and good luck! :)
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You averaged 1700 calories per day for six days, it sounds like you are doing well to me. It is only one week. My last binge was 6300 calories in one day and I have lost 15 pounds since then. One or two bad days doesn't mean failure!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Restricting after a binge just leads to another binge. Treat each day as a fresh start. I have struggled on and off with binging (currently on), and trying to restrict the day after adds to my guilt/anxiety over it and leads to me busting out even more.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Restricting after a binge just leads to another binge. Treat each day as a fresh start. I have struggled on and off with binging (currently on), and trying to restrict the day after adds to my guilt/anxiety over it and leads to me busting out even more.

Exactly. This is me right now. I have been struggling with binge eating for the past 3 years and now it's getting a bit better, happening less frequently and each time it happens I am able to stop the behaviour a bit sooner. But I still binge from time to time and although it's easier said then done, definitely don't restrict the next day. Just try to make healthier choices, drink lots of water and move a bit more.

Also I find a simple exercise helpful from the book "Brain over Binge" where the author suggest just sitting there looking at your hand, and realize that you ultimately have the power to control your hand muscles that is feeding the food into your mouth.