Scales? How often do you step on?

Options
So how often do you step on the scale? I seem to one a day or every other. But thinking about it I like to see big losses so should I step on every other week or so? Maybe have the hubby hide it? The only downside I see is disappointment if there is no change.

Replies

• Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, every Monday morning. I find it's just right now to get overtly obssessive. If i see a fluctuation, i can trust it is a 'real' loss or gain, i.e. Not water retention.
  • lenka30
    lenka30 Posts: 5
    Options
    every morning! If I gained, I will eat better and exercise longer. If I lost, I will be in good mood for the rest of the day!:happy:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Once, maybe twice a week.
  • filicia1025
    filicia1025 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every 2 days but I get disappointed if i don't see any progress...so now it's like once a week.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Every day. I've learned a lot about how I react to certain foods, like booze, by weighing and recording daily.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Once a week I believe is the suggested timeframe as weight loss (or gain) shouldn't be any more drastic than that. If you're losing enought weight to see it on the scales every day or two days, then that could be dangerous.

Pick a regular time and stick to it, for me it's Sunday morning.
  • neelyohhara
    neelyohhara Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm also a daily weigher. I only record once a week though. Like pp it only ever makes me work harder or puts me in a good mood :)
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I weight after a fasting day.. so probably between two or three times a week...

I'm learning to recognize those days where ToM is near and my body is retaining liquids, and for that reason I've lost no weight.. Still working on it!
  • lindaland1
    lindaland1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every day, but then I would just get too neurotic about the results!! If I gained or just maintained, I would get depressed for the rest of the day. And then there were those times of the month that I would try to rationalize any gain as "water weight" or just blow my diet all together because I got all pissy!!

Now I do once a week on Friday morning. Then I know what I have really gained or lost for the week and I am far less stressed about a number on a scale!! :)
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am trying to weigh once per week but do step onto the Wii Fit every other day which gives me a guide of how I am doing that week.

In both cases I do this at exactly the same time of day when ever possible and in my weekly weigh in I step on and off the scales 3 times because the reading on many scales can fluctuate slightly depending on where you are standing on them
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Twice a day, only register once a day though. Works for me.
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You need to wait at least a week or so to ensure that you get an accurate reading. I used to be obsessed with weighing myself every day, but I realised that I wasn't going to notice any real change so now I'm going to try to weigh myself once a month. I think that it would be a good idea to hide the scales and not focus on them for a while. :)
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just about every morning. That's what works best for me, though of course we're all different.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale just about every day when home. I log this into a tracker, but I also do this because of a medical reason. Doctors are trying to get my hormones in check they can cause a lot of issues when not in check including weight. However, prior to this it was once a week
  • pinkstargem
    pinkstargem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Every day and I log it on mfp so I can see overall trends. And to keep me motivated. Or to stop me pigging out as if I do I see the effects as the scales creep up!
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My official weigh in is on a Wednesday but I usually start sneaking peeks from Sunday as that con foretell a loss that week, which aids my motivation.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every day, but the scale upsets me and I cannot cope with seeing fluctuations, even though I KNOW it's normal. It's taken me a long time to admit that. I now weigh once a week, and I'm considering changing that to monthly and going by BF%, as ultimately, weight isn't actually that important in comparison.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    For me, several times a day!
    The fluctuations due to water, sodium, food intake, etc. fascinate me. :flowerforyou:
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Every damn day! Lol! Actually I like to learn about my body and what happens to it..... Yeah, at first fluctuations or not losing would bum me out. But then I started to record the daily weigh ins on a separate spreadsheet along with the number of calories and carbs I ate the day before....as well as exercise minutes. . After several weeks I just looked at the weekly average and really got a great idea of how my body does what it does. Ya know, how much to lose and how much to maintain, etc. I also noted my weekly workout hours and if they were more cardio or weights, etc.

Anyway my point is that it is wonderful to have the knowledge AND it can help you not be bummed or worried and it keeps me on my game happier!!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I step on the scales quite often - but I only record once a wekk on a monday morning. Thiking about putting the scales in a cupboard between weigh ins so can't see them lol.