Should I bother exercising if it makes me eat more?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bubblywendy
    Bubblywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes it's definately lack of self control and I really need to discipline myself, but its extremely hard because I'm sucked into this cycle of comfort eating. I feel edgy when I don't get the food I'm craving and I generally give in. When most people exercise they don't feel like eating crap but for me I feel like rewarding myself and can't help the fact that its always food! It's a love hate relationship I tell you :sad:
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    sounds more like an issue with your self-control then with exercising.

My thoughts exactly.... This has less to do about exercise and more to do about staying within your caloric goals for the day... I eat 85% of my exercise calories back everyday except for my rest days when I eat to maintenance but I never intentionally eat over my caloric intake unless it was planned (refeed, etc). Weight loss can be achieved with diet alone, you exercise for the physical benefits and lift to help maintain Lean body Mass. Best of Luck

Agreed with you guys - in my honest opinion [opinion only] the caloric intake and crave-control is harder than the workout itself. You def's want to keep exercising as it will provide you with benefits on the long run...
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would have thought it was more about what you eat after exercise that is key. What sort of snacks are you having? If you are just getting a quick energy burst from a sugar rush then then that would explain why you are eating so much to feel full. You need slow release foods which will fill you up instead perhaps?
  • Bubblywendy
    Options
    I know many people will say I'm already healthy but I'm not satisfied with my weight. I just really want to get back to my goal weight ( which is still a healthy weight) because it was my original weight beforeI starting eating like a maniac a year ago. My goal weight which is about 54kg which is what I weighed for 7 years and I just know that's my equilibrium. So please understand that i don't intend to be a twig , I just want to weigh as much as I used to be which I believe is my stable and comfortable weight.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    WHY DOES A NUMBER ON A SCALE MATTER SO MUCH? Does that number define you? No and it never will!
  • Bubblywendy
    Options
    I would have thought it was more about what you eat after exercise that is key. What sort of snacks are you having? If you are just getting a quick energy burst from a sugar rush then then that would explain why you are eating so much to feel full. You need slow release foods which will fill you up instead perhaps?

I usually exercise around 4-5 pm. And I guess I do eat alot of processed foods after such as crisps or Kraft peanut butter. I usually think " hmmm I burned 400 calories so I can eat what ever for 300calories" but then as soon as I have some sort of delicious flavour in my mouth I go overboard... Then follow up saying something like " I'll start controlling my cravings tmr" ... Which never works
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It takes some serious effort in controlling that aspect - that was my biggest problem too :( Encouragement and food dairies DO help! You can see where the calories are!
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If I exercise a whole lot, it definitely makes me eat more, which is okay. But it also can lead to binging. I have had to cut down my exercise so I don't binge. It's not a lack of self-control for me. Lots of exercise makes me ravenous and binge-y.
  • Lelaina_vdw
    Options
    @bubblywendy _ I have the same problem , but I find that drinking Herbalife shakes helps control cravings and helps maintain calorie intake !! Its 100% healthy and althought the first 4days are hard , it only gets better
    it keeps you full and I dont crave chocolates and pastries that much when im on it
    hope it helps and goodluck :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes because exercise improves your health and you should aim to be healthy, not to eat as little as possible.

food is to feed your body, you need to eat enough of it to sustain your body and your level of exercise. You need to eat less than you burn off, but not too much less or it's counterproductive. Exercise is for health, i.e. strong bones and strong muscles. It also helps to ensure that the weight you're losing is just fat and not muscle or bone density.

so exercise and eat more.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I usually exercise around 4-5 pm. And I guess I do eat alot of processed foods after such as crisps or Kraft peanut butter. I usually think " hmmm I burned 400 calories so I can eat what ever for 300calories" but then as soon as I have some sort of delicious flavour in my mouth I go overboard... Then follow up saying something like " I'll start controlling my cravings tmr" ... Which never works

MFP calorie goal already has a deficit built in, so even if you eat 400 calories you still have a deficit for fat loss.

It's a good idea to eat something high in protein after exercise, e.g. meat, fish, eggs or similar. This also helps you to feel more full. Save the stuff like crisps for times when you're not really that hungry, but still have some calories left over, that way you won't feel tempted to overeat on them so much. Fill up on protein, fruits, veggies etc, then eat a little of whatever you fancy...and that way it will be more likely to just be a little because you won't be hungry.