Advice?

Options
Helloooo!
I was just wondering if anyone can offer any advice at all?
I am trying to lose 28lbs of fat and am planning on doing this over a 14 week period as I think this gives me enough timew to train hard but still achieve the weight loss safely and in a sustainable way as I have suffered with anorexia and bulimia for several years.
I dance 3-4 times a week and lift perhaps twice a week and eat clean the majority of the time.
Once I have achieved this I plan on bulking, mainly through free lifting at low reps to exhaustion and eating surplus calories to encourage increased muscle mass as I want to feel strong and lean rather than weak and willowy as I was when I was ill.
Is this a sustainable and helpful plan?
Am I setting myself up for a relapse?
What can I do to ensure minimal chances of binging and/or purging?
I'd be so grateful for any advice from anyone, I consider myself to be quite knowledgable in regards to diet and nutrition but I have a tendency to take things to the extreme so I would love any tips anyone may have?
Thank you :)

Replies

• TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Such a good goal :)
    I found that each person will train individually so once you have a plan sorted, stick with it and run with it. In terms of bulking, all I can recommend is to make sure you get enough proteins in as it will affect your gain tremendously. The most simple but biggest mistake I see people doing is not intaking enough calories and their bodies will eventually end up reflecting this. The hours of sleep you get per night is also a major factor (8+ recom.)
    I also encourage recovery days every so often as to let your muscles recover after intense activity otherwise you will find you will end up running exhausted and fatigued more often than you would like...

As for relapse, with encouragement I dont think you will have to worry about it :) It will be hard but you can do it ;)

Goodluck chick and go hard! :)
  • Ellyouseewhy
    Options
    Thank you so much :)
    I really have a problem with sleeping; usually only around four hours a night which I know is doing NOTHING for my goals I just can't seem to get a handle on it :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your plan sounds ok., but i would ditch the timescale... 28lbs in 14 weeks is pushing it... you may lose 2lbs per week for the first couple of weeks, but when you have 15 or less lbs to lose then 0.5 -1 is the most you should expect to lose in a healthy way.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    your plan sounds ok., but i would ditch the timescale... 28lbs in 14 weeks is pushing it... you may lose 2lbs per week for the first couple of weeks, but when you have 15 or less lbs to lose then 0.5 -1 is the most you should expect to lose in a healthy way.

I have to agree. During a cut, especially with little weight to lose, 2 lbs is too aggressive. At that weight you can probably get away with a 20% cut from TDEE or around 1/2 - 1 lb per week. Any more and you increase the risk of losing muscle, which will defeat the purpose of your bulk.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ^ Agreed.
    Try to get good, quality sleep too :) It makes the world a difference!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get adequate protein to retain as much LBM as possible while you lose the fat.

Get rid of the expectation that it will be done in 14 weeks.
  • Ellyouseewhy
    Options
    Ahhh that sucks, I thought 14 weeks would be long enough :( I hate being this size!!!!

I definitely take in enough protein; usually aroung 60g+
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ahhh that sucks, I thought 14 weeks would be long enough :( I hate being this size!!!!

try closer to 100g, especially when you're bulking.
  • psuLemon
    Options

how much do you weigh?
  • Ellyouseewhy
    Options
    135lbs
  • psuLemon
    Options
    135lbs

I agree with TavistockToad.. at least 100g of protein. That would put you around 1g of protein per lb of body fat if you were around 25% body fat. BTW, how tall are you?
  • Ellyouseewhy
    Options
    I am 5ft3
  • Ellyouseewhy
    Options
    And my body fat is around 24%
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Your goals are fine but I would also recommend ditching the time scale. I had a similar goal to you and after 8 months am only about half way to where I want to be....you may also find that you 'goal' weight changes if you are training and building muscle, I know mine has......how you look is so much more than a number on the scales.

I commented on one of you other posts, feel free to add me!
  • Ellyouseewhy
    Options
    Thank you :)
    Yeah I think you guys are right, my goal weight probably will change as I know that when I was at that weight before I was only just back to a weight were I would (Girl word alert) mensturate because I was very lean but my body fat was too low, in my head though this was when I looked best
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Why don't you shoot for a body fat % goal instead of a weight goal? Shoot for, say 20% to start with, and then when you get there you can reevaluate. This takes the pressure of the scale off and puts the focus on your training. Of course calories is a big part of that too, but I would think that would help your mental attitude. You want a small calorie deficit to preserve LBM, and plenty of protein as has been mentioned. Instead of thinking of food as "something to avoid because of the scale", it should be viewed as "fuel for my workouts and training to attain my goals".
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    First I want to say you are a beautiful young lady, striking really.

Second I want to congratulate you on recognizing your tendencies and being aware that you need to be careful not to slide back into self destructive tendencies, that takes a lot of strength to admit to.

I think focusing on becoming stronger is a good goal, you sound like you really want to improve your health not just lower your weight. That is a good thing. I would say that you have already received some good advice especially about the protein and maybe re-evaluating your time frame. I would say maybe start looking into building your muscles now instead of focusing on weight loss. You may find that will bring you where you want to go in terms of aesthetics.

I would also advise you to talk to your doctor, or a reputable licensed nutritionist to assess your goals and keep you on a healthy path. If those things aren't possible talk to someone you trust who was there for your during your recovery, who is aware of your tendencies. Someone who encouraged you to get help, someone who will tell you the truth if you start to slide into disordered eating habits. Just so you have a safety net and a cheer leader to give you positive honest and healthy support.

You can do this! Good luck on your goals!