Help I've Plateaued!!!

Options
P4arv
P4arv Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Any suggestion on how to get out of the plateauing effect and keep losing weight?:sad:

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    More details? If we have no idea what you aren't or are doing or eating, how long you've been plataued for... it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string?" question :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So 12 days ago you said you've lost 82 lbs since Feb. If you have only stopped losing for the last 12 days, that isn't a plateau. That's normal. Keep doing what you're doing. Your body will catch up.
  • P4arv
    P4arv Posts: 5
    Options
    Ok right, so I'm doing the five two diet but have read some threads and found I need to increase my calorie intake to increase may metabolism. So I've kind of worked out how to get out of the plateaued thing. You have to keep the engine purring to burn calories and to give you energy, as long as you don't go over your recommended calorie intake.....Cool.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What? How are you plateauing? A plateau is at least 6 weeks with no change in activity, diet, weight, or measurements.

And what is this "keep the engine purring" crap? Eat the number of calories you're supposed to eat. That's all there is to it. Doesn't matter if you are eating 5:2, eat stop eat, grazing, 100 meals a day, leangains, whatever.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok right, so I'm doing the five two diet but have read some threads and found I need to increase my calorie intake to increase may metabolism. So I've kind of worked out how to get out of the plateaued thing. You have to keep the engine purring to burn calories and to give you energy, as long as you don't go over your recommended calorie intake.....Cool.

How many calories do you eat on fast days and non fast days? And what you have heard is wrong as it takes 72 hours of no food to even have any type of metabolic adaptation, although long term suppression can cause a slowing of the resting metabolic rate and increased muscle loss.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Just carry on but eat your calories...
  • rcockrell6
    rcockrell6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck since last September and I don't know what else to do. I would be glad if anybody let me know what you did to get out of there rut? Help
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Wait until you go through 3 MONTHS of not losing... Then come back and complain
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    What? How are you plateauing? A plateau is at least 6 weeks with no change in activity, diet, weight, or measurements.

And what is this "keep the engine purring" crap? Eat the number of calories you're supposed to eat. That's all there is to it. Doesn't matter if you are eating 5:2, eat stop eat, grazing, 100 meals a day, leangains, whatever.

THIS! I dont get how people make things so complicated - just eat your calories and you will lose - maybe not as fast as you want, and maybe you'll plateau or fluctuate a bit - but just do that and guess what - YOU LOSE WEIGHT.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Amen, sista!!
  • calpeachmfp
    calpeachmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @P4arv Try either increasing the time you exercise or the intensity. In other words, if you exercise for 30 minutes try bumping it up to 45. Or, if you are doing resistance training, increase the weights.
    And . . . cardio work isn't going to get you the same fat burning as resistance training. Check out Turbulence Training to get some ideas about body weight workouts. It's awesome! Good luck! : )
  • ArticaG
    ArticaG Posts: 7
    Options
    If it is really a plateau, the only think is to keep going, stay motivated and be patient. I have just got out of a 4 months plateau after 17lbs lost. From beg of May until beginning of August, NOTHING! I tried eating less, eating more, eating differently, exercicing more....

It is hard to keep motivated but when I saw that -1lb beginning of August that was amazing!

Good luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have been stuck since last September and I don't know what else to do. I would be glad if anybody let me know what you did to get out of there rut? Help

Change your goal to 1 lb per week, and replace some of the carbs with protein and fats. A lot of days you are pretty low on calories.
  • azztkk
    azztkk Posts: 26
    Options
    bump
  • nursebkidd
    nursebkidd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I feel your pain! I plateaued for about 3 weeks...was getting very discouraged. My suggestion is to increase your water intake & increase your exercise by just 5 more minutes each day. Also, if you're under your caloric goal, you're body senses a starvation mode & will drop your metabolism & your fat burning hormones. You may want to increase your calories just a little --200 calories a day for a few days. This fools your body's hormones into believing that it's getting fed again. I know...sounds crazy but the body is "wired" to preserve itself... so it'll do anything to keep from starving. Trying to limit your calories without a form of exercise also is counter productive...your body wil use your muscles for energy THEN the fat. Leaves you flabby & tired. DON'T give up! Give it another week...try my suggestions. It worked for me & I think it'll work for you! :flowerforyou:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Hey there! If you are REALLY being honest with your diary, then you aren't eating enough most days and yet still going way over on sugar. Get a food scale and start measuring. Put every spoonful in your diary, and remove the extra sugar and carbs with some protein. :-)
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Plateaus usually happen when you don't adjust your intake to your current weight. If you've lost weight, automatically you will require less calories. Another thing that can contribute to a plateau, is that you're less accurate at counting your calories. It happens over time. What helped for me was to try some new recipes. That way you'll get your counting more in order and you'll feel better.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Then you're obviously doing something wrong. A plateau of 2 weeks can happen due to water weight or glycogen, but 3 months means you're simply eating too much and not being accurate with your counting. Either that or you don't have a lot of weight left to lose or you for some reason lost a lot of muscle and therefore your metabolism is slower than it was before.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Well, do NOT eat any LESS than 1300 calories,do not eat junk food,keep proteins up to 50%,veggies 35%,fat about 15%. Do NOT skip meals!! It's necessary to keep your metabolism up. Breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner. Cut WAY back on fruit. Eat the an apple or the equivalent once a day ONLY. If you are trying to lose weight, eating fruit will slow you down.Use it as a source of energy immediately before a workout. Fruit tends to get stored as fat in the body before it gets burned off. Do NOT eat refined sugar and cut WAY back on starch. And of course you have to exercise up to 3-5 times a week. Vary your workouts so you do not get bored and your body does not get used to what you are doing. This will work!! You can do it!! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.