5K in under 30 minutes!!

Options
For pretty much my entire life, I've been a horrible runner. But this summer, I decided that I didn't have to live with that. I started running. At first it was really rough. I was running at roughly 15 minutes per mile. Even running 1.5 miles was a struggle. Now look where I've gotten. I just ran 3.1 miles in 29 minutes and 52 seconds! This may not be a big deal for many, but for me, it's a huge accomplishment!

So the moral of the story, for all you people who say that you can never be a good runner... it is possible! And I plan on getting even better :)

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Great job!!!
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Amazing! That's my goal :)
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Awesome NSV, congratulations!! It will only get better from here!
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Congratulations!
  • tracy2013l
    Options
    Good Job!! I run my first 5k next month- thanks for the inspiration!:smile:
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    Congratulations - well done!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    awesome job!!!
  • Xeldadog
    Xeldadog Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I finish C25K in two weeks; I'm jogging 13 min miles. How did you improve your time?
    Awesome job on achieving 10 minute miles! Congrats!
  • jupdyke
    jupdyke Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! I agree, I hated running and then after about a week, started loving it. While I am taking a break from it for now and doing P90X, I think I will definitely return to it. You have come a long ways with running & that's fabulous!
  • douglasnorton
    douglasnorton Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! That is a very impressive turn around. Keep up the awesome work!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I just ran 3.1 miles in 29 minutes and 52 seconds! This may not be a big deal for many, but for me, it's a huge accomplishment!

So the moral of the story, for all you people who say that you can never be a good runner... it is possible! And I plan on getting even better :)

Ha! That was exactly my time for my first official 5k last year! I started doing run/walk at 15 or 16 per mile. When I was doing all running I was at 13 to 13:30 per mile and brought it down from there.

That's awesome! Keep at it!
  • musicluvr49
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone!
    I finish C25K in two weeks; I'm jogging 13 min miles. How did you improve your time?
    Awesome job on achieving 10 minute miles! Congrats!

I'm not sure how I improved my time, it just started getting a lot easier to run continuously without stopping or slowing down. I think one very important thing is, unless you're in serious pain, keep on running! Once you get past that point where you feel sick like you're going to throw up and like you can't run another step, if suddenly gets easier. It's like you still feel the stress on your body, but you're above and beyond it. So. I think getting over that hump is essential to improving time.
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I have a 5K this weekend and I just want to finish it under 40.(I would be over the moon if I finish under 30) I think I will take what you said to heart and keep running past the being sick and hope it gets easier. :smile:
  • KerryPozzi
    KerryPozzi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is awesome! I'm currently running around a 13:30-14:00 minute mile and am only up to 2 miles right now. I soooo want to be able to run 3 miles at a 10:00 minute pace. You are inspiring!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It's a huge deal!! Around 30 min is mighty fast. They say with every 10 pounds you lose, you get 1 min faster on 3 miles.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!!!!!!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You are an inspiration - I run at 12-13 min/mile (slower the farther I go), but my ultimate 5k goal is under 30 minutes. I've got a ways to go but it can be done!
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good for you:)
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! AWESOME achievement!!!! I'm trying to get to a good personal 5k running time, and your story is definitely an inspiration! :)
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I broke the 30-minute mark about 3 weeks ago and so I share your sense of accomplishment very closely! Keep on truckin'.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!