Goal to drop 40lbs - Treadmill and/or 30 day shred

Options
Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forums. I recently bought a treadmill to my house and been working on it regularly.

I used to weigh 252lbs, now I'm down to 238lbs.(Started in first week of July)

I do a "weight loss" program on the treadmill, with some incline and speed intervals changing every 30 seconds. I work out 90 minutes on it on Mondays-Wednesdays-Fridays for 90 minutes, burn about 700 calories for a total of 4.3 miles (just under 6.9kms).

On the in between days, I do the "30 day shred" workout from Jillian M and Sundays are my off days.

After dropping the 14lbs, I seem to have slowed down on my weight loss, I've actually been stuck there for a while now. So I have a couple of questions:

First of all, I'm doing workout 1 on the 30DS dvd, is there an appropriate timeline on when you should switch to higher level workouts? Considering I'm not doing it every day, but every other day, it still challenges me.

Should I drop the treadmill and focus on the 30DS ony to drop the next 38-40lbs? Or drop the dvd and focus on the treadmill? I noticed that my biceps are definitely getting bigger with the DVD, and maybe dropped an inch on my wasitline as I notice it from my pants and belt.

Thanks for all the help and pointers!

Replies

• cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you are fine doing them both as one does cardio and one does more HIIT
    If you have found that you've plateau'd then you meight need to switch it up... exercise harder with more intensive treadmill inclines, add weights, with food add 200 calories one or two days just to switch it up
    This is what has worked for me so far.
    If you do the same thing over and over your body gets used to it... you need to constantly keep it re-adjusting itself

Push through and you will conquer! Failure is not an option! :)
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What's your nutrition like? Are you eating enough?

Also, how are your clothes fitting? If the scale is not moving and the clothes are, it could be muscle gaining going on (muscle has less mass per lb than fat).

If your nutrition is okay, and the scale is not moving, then the best thing to do is to keep moving and bump up the intensity. Are you walk/running at the same levels as you were in July? Your body may be conditioned to work at that level at an easier pace and you may not be burning as many calories as you think. Up the incline and speed.

And for 30DS, people typically bump up after 10 days. Go ahead and move on to the "next level", which is probably not as challenging as you think it's going to be.
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you stick with 30DS daily giving Sunday off....Then you can move on to Ripped in 30 if you want to......additionally you can add treadmill run if you can and want to...
    Doing just the cardio may not be the good option....good to add strength training so that you can retain the lbm...:flowerforyou:
  • hnoelle85
    hnoelle85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the progress you have made! That is very inspiring to me as i just joined this site and my exercise plan starting out was to do work on the treadmill (mainly C25K) and 30 day shred. Good luck progressing!
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you stick with 30DS daily giving Sunday off....Then you can move on to Ripped in 30 if you want to......additionally you can add treadmill run if you can and want to...
    Doing just the cardio may not be the good option....good to add strength training so that you can retain the lbm...:flowerforyou:

And yes...with 30DS you can progress to level 2 after 10 days....and then level 3..,so that makes it around a month's workout....
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got the 30d shred in a box set with ripped and two others so vary my workout...i find if I always do the same I plateau AND get bored so I mix with pilates and running and table tennis plus other stuff. That way I feel more stimulated and hope I'm getting a more balanced workout. When the kids go back to school in september I'll be starting tennis too. Variation keeps my mind active as well as my body! I couldn't do a treadmill...I need to be outdoors!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    What's your nutrition like? Are you eating enough?

^^THIS. All the shred in the world won't help if your nutrition isn't dialed in.

Keep at it though...doing awesome!
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    i have a group called jillian michaels workout group, feel free to find and join us if you decide to undergo this task, im on day 24/30 so far and i am definitely seeing the results but more so in sizes than lbs. my weight loss has slowed by 5x since starting but i am still loosing. depending on your current poundage i would say if you have a lot to loose you'd be ok but not much id do tredmill first and introduce 30ds a bit later.
  • faithdanyell
    faithdanyell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I would mix up the cardio, you can add some aerobic workout dvd's to have variety, I like the Tae Bo dvd "This is Tae Bo. I got it at Target for less than $10. I do a mix of cardio and strength exercises, it works... keep up the good work you will pass this plateau.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I can't speak on the 30DS but I can speak to the plateau you are on. (Most) Everyone goes through their first plateau around the 20-30 pound lost mark. This is mainly because your body looses a lot of water weight at first and then starts to rebuild the water stores while you are building muscle and loosing fat. This causes the scales to stall for a little while as your body readjusts its water storage.

Couple of suggestions to help you identity if this is the case:

1. Buy a tape measure and take at least weekly measurements (MFP has a section for the more common areas to check). You should notice some reduction over time.
    2. If you can get a scale that measures body fat in addition to weight. Watch the BF measurement more than the scale
    3. Always weigh yourself at the same time of day. Just one 16 oz glass of water can add a couple pounds to the scale.

Don't worry about the weight and just keep at what you are doing. You have made great progress doing what you are doing so its not broke, no need to fix it. Plateaus suck but they are just part of the game.
  • grkm85
    grkm85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh wow thank you very much all for the fast and fantastic replies.

My nutrition is probably what is causing it...I'm not necessarily eating bad, but I liked what someone posted "are you eating enough".

I try to ensure I get enough of everything daily. My breakfast usually consists of an egg and a fruit, or an english muffin with low fat cream cheese. I try to snack with fruits in between meals, or fat free greek yogurt (high in protein)

Lunches are usually a big salad with feta, and dinner includes some type of protein, with some more salad. twice a week is my "cheat" night, where I eat some hamburger helper and home made tacos (all with extra lean beeft).

I know how to eat "bad", and probably how "not to eat anything", but I guess my main issue is "how to eat properly when you work out 6 times a week" lol.

Thank you for the suggestions on the workout. For the treadmill, I've only been on level 1 of the "weight loss" program, I guess it's time to move up to level 2.

I tried level 2 in the 30DS once, some of the exercises seemed tough and I'm not really flexible for some of them, but that was weeks ago. I also have the following from Jillian: JM for beginners frontside, JM for beginners backside, ripped in 30, extreme shed and shred.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    both is a good idea...you need to eat well and cardio too.
    If you can add some small weight gloves or Dumbbels it would be even better cause you would also work your upper body.... more burns, more muscles at the same time ( you won't bulk lol.... just burn more)
  • grkm85
    grkm85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well the 30DS dvd, I use a 5lb dumbbell for certain workouts and a 2lb one for shoulder workouts (both my shoulders have problems).

As for the treadmill, at the top two speeds, I use the 2lb dumbless in a "running motion", which lasts about 90 seconds.

So in a 90 minute workout, I use the dumbless for about 30 minutes of it.