Losing weight and quitting smoking at the same time

Is anyone else on here losing weight and quitting smoking at the same time ?

I am 3 days into my quit and about a month on my eating healthy way of life.

I was craving a burger last night and normally would have eaten it but instead had grilled chicken wings :smile:

I cried my eyes out too - felt better afterwards apparently this is normal !

I would really love to hear from u all and please do share success stories & quit tips

Replies

• phnompenny
    phnompenny Posts: 15 Member
    I smoked my last cigarette 10 months ago using the Jason Vale Stop Smoking app and have not looked back since.
    Once you realise you are not actually giving anything up, it will not be in any way a distraction and you can just focus on exercising and tracking your food. I don't know how anyone could want to smoke after exercising anyway as it makes you feel so good; why pollute yourself? Good luck with it. And download the app - it's amazing.
  • Thanku i will
  • Me :O

I had almost reached my goal weight and decided to quit the day after my 35th birthday (12 days ago). However I jumped on the scale and have gained 8 pounds!!!! I got mad and had a slip (smoked a roll up boooo) Wasn't even craving ...just stupid! I am shocked I have gained because I have been on my bike more and out walking more to cope with the cravings :(

Patches back on and got some nicotine gum and saw my stop smoke advisor ... she said the lack of smoking lowers the metabolism and some weight gain is inevitable sadly. But she also said that after a fortnight hunger lowers (nicotine withdrawal can confuse the brain into thinking the body is hungry).

Sucks because it will take a month to lose that weight now and dealing with cravings for smokes AND food at the same time... oh well serves me right for smoking in the first place and eating too much!!
  • I am desperately trying hard to keep all going but a good cry helps when u wants to smoke or eat :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Done the diet and stop biting nails thing and now have a set a woman would be envious of !

The smoking thing was a step too far to include but is next on the list !!!
  • phil_p221
    phil_p221 Posts: 8 Member
    I switched over to e-cigs which I think is a step in the right direction. For me that was a huge step. I'm a total nicotine addict.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I gained a little weight after quitting smoking also, which was odd to me because I was eating healthier and exercising more. I read in a medical journal that your metabolism readjusts after quitting, and this shift is often to blame for the temporary weight gain.
  • I am going to try to quit smoking! I keep saying this, and i do good for a while, and then suddenly i'm back to my old 1 pack a day :sad: but i am determined to give the smokes up, and get myself back in shape!!
  • Yes, 6 weeks quit smoking AND drinking and want to shift approx 10lbs so my trousers are comfy to wear again, so far not a lb lost......

I'm willing to give it time though

K
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    I have never smoked, but really feel for people trying to give up. Good luck - it is a huge step in the right direction for your health.
  • Gettinfit242
    Gettinfit242 Posts: 200 Member
    YUP thats me!! Hi All! Im new to MFP, second day. I was doing P90x for 8 weeks and MAN did I start seeing results.. but i will say it wasnt easy staying motivated at first. it seemed like no weight was coming off and that i was just at a standstill..and of course I couldnt do things to the extent of the folks in the videos, but i did what i could, I did it the best I could and i made sure i FELT IT!.by week 5 i could actually do REAL push ups instead of the girly ones!!! and YES this also went with eating healthy, no junk, smaller portions, all of that... well once i hit week 6 the weight seemed to drop off like CRAZY! i was doing GREAT. I lost 13 pounds and for the first time since basic training in 98, i could actually see deffinition!! it was so exciting, im in the smallest size ive been in probably 12 years!!!

And then I got a job in a new city and moved, and with the whole moving process, well i just didnt have the time or energy, BUT im now settled in and ready go get back on track! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE !!! i know how challenging it can be to stick to it. Oh and on top of dieting and working out, ive thrown in "quitting smoking" too.. day 4! :) we can do this!!!

FLABBY BUTT B GONE!
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    I've tried to stop smoking then worry about my weight start back smoking. I'm always saying I will get a handle on this. In the process I think I just stress myself out more because. I haven't lost very much weight and I'm still smoking...........
  • karebearandken
    karebearandken Posts: 26 Member
    Ooooo...GOOD LUCK with that! I smoked my last cigarette almost 5 years ago (November of 2008). So, I quit smoking, got laid off from my job, and then started school. Gained A LOT of weight. I know where you are coming from and am here for support if you need it. Feel free to add me, if you want. I REALLY hope you are successful! :smile: