Best fitness monitor?

I am considering getting a fitness monitor and just wondering what everyone recommends. Also which ones go alongside MFP?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    There are lads of previous posts on this. Do a search and you will find lots of information.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    LCD is pretty much standard these days but if you can afford it then go for the LED monitor. The colors on the pages here will really pop on a LED monitor.
  • jaz050465
    LCD is pretty much standard these days but if you can afford it then go for the LED monitor. The colors on the pages here will really pop on a LED monitor.

I think OP is talkingnaboutbsomethingnlike Fitbit orbBMF- or am I wrong?
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    I am wondering between Fitbit and Jawbone UP
  • afcukit
    afcukit Posts: 2
    I use fitbit one and it,s very easy to follow i log the food here and on fit bit it shows calories eaten and calories burned also it makes you want to walk (step) more as you can set your goal the default is 10,000 steps a day very easy to set up and sync with myfitnesspal it also tracks your sleep. It also can set distance , very active minutes and floors climbed goals. i think its around $100 + you also get a weekly report emailed to you.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    I had the nike fuelband and although it was sleek and cool looking it really did not help much besides having a clock on it. I ruined that changing a tire and got the fitbit flex. The flex is similar to fuelband but doesn't have a clock ; (. It more than makes up for this since it tracks and graphs much more and syncs directly with MFP! I would definately recommend a fitbit product.
  • jaz050465
    Body media fit is supposed to be the most accurate.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    I used the fitbit for 6 months or so and I wasn't too impress. It's basically an expensive pedometer. I eventually lost my fitbit and used a $15 pedometer in its place.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Blood work. Knowing how your blood work goes is the best "fitness" indicator.

Beyond that, I'd go with a tape measure. Waist (at smallest point) to waist should be less than .75 for a woman, less than .85 for a man.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    I bought a Fitbit one in Jan 2013. I do like it but now that I have my Polar FT7 HRM I use it more. I still clip the fitbit on and use it all day but the Polar FT7 reads all workouts I do unlike fitbit. If I was you, I would get a Polar brand HRM. The FT7 is great I think. Easy to use and read and understand. I doesn''t snyc to MFP but that is ok, I don't mind manually logging my exercise in.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    I used the fitbit for 6 months or so and I wasn't too impress. It's basically an expensive pedometer. I eventually lost my fitbit and used a $15 pedometer in its place.

Thank you everyone for your input. fromnebraska I have decided to go your route for the time being - until the bugs have been worked out I won't be investing in a fitness monitor just yet. I've lost over 50 lbs without one so I think I'll be fine!
  • hazeljordan, the kinks on the fitbit have been worked out. :) they just released the FitBit Flex a couple months ago. it autosyncs with MyFitnessPal. i had a jawbone up and did not like it at all. i also use a Polar HRM as a chest strap is the only way to get an accurate reading for calorie count (vs any solo wrist readers). but in lieu of that, i do enjoy my FitBit Flex. tracks pretty much everything otherwise and is a constant reminder. of course the community aspect of competing with your friends for most steps etc makes it more fun. gluck!
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    I did a lot of research and decided on the Fitbit Flex. I like all the charts and monitoring it does. It also is interesting to see how well I slept and how many hours I actually slept during the night. Based on how I feel each day I think it's pretty accurate for me. I also like the alarm feature on it. It's much more pleasant to wake up in the morning to the vibration on my wrist than hearing an alarm.

The only thing that is a challenge at first is how to get it on, but once I got the hang of it I haven't had any issues with it.