40 lbs lost..50 lbs gained.30 lbs lost..40lbs gained..eh

Options
Hi everyone, my name is Nicole. I have been down this road before. A few years ago I got up to 175lbs and then lost 40 using this site, plus exercise. It was great. Then I got back into the habit of eating what I wanted, got back up and beyond my original weight. Then my boyfriend asked me to marry him. Had the motivation to lose 30lbs to get into a pretty wedding dress. a year after my wedding day, back up to 185lbs. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!!!!????!!!!

Now I am back on the wagon again. Trying to find long lasting strategies to lose then maintain for life. I am only 28 years old, but some days feel like I am 80. I thought this time around I would be more active on these message boards; maybe it will help me change my mindset.

Out of the "Im going to use this to lose weight, then I will be done"
to "I will be a lifer!"

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You are normal and you are yo-yo dieting. Sadly, many of us cannot maintain a healthy weight without working at it. You may be one of those people. So you have a couple of choices: work on the long term solution of retraining yourself now while you are young OR be trying to do it in your 60s like me having wasted many years of being unable to do things because I was (and am) too heavy.

This is one of those cases of "do as I say, not as I did." I would not recommend anyone take the path I have. Conquer your eating habits now.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Had the motivation to lose 30lbs to get into a pretty wedding dress. a year after my wedding day, back up to 185lbs. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!!!!????!!!!
    You're human, that's what's wrong with you. It sucks but we do the best we can.

It's not like you're the only one who has done this. You just do it until you get it right. Welcome back.
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    The good thing is that you are here, on track. We all make mistakes but it takes lots of commitment. You decide how committed you want to be. Eat better, move more and enjoy life. No one says it is easy, but you can do it. All you have to do is do it!
  • nicolefbernhardt
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouraging posts! It is nice to have the support:)
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was the same until now (throw in a couple of babies along the way). I was overweight in my early 20s, slim by 22, after 25 weight gradually increased, dieted in the last year of my 20s, was slim again for my 30th, had 2 babies and enjoyed my food too much and here I am at 38 trying to get back in shape for my 40th!

This time will be different though, I want to change my lifestyle, be fitter for my kids' sake, eat healthily with the occasional treat (instead of the other way around) and be more active.

I have lost 20 of the 30lbs I want to lose initially, then I want to tone up and maintain.

Hopefully this time we will both stay on the right track. Feel free to add me x
  • nicolefbernhardt
    Options
    Thanks for the comment. I am thinking ahead myself. I don't have children yet, and to be quite honest, very afraid. I don't want to be unhappy with myself and lead a bad example for them in the future. My mother (not casting blame) is very over weight and I have picked up some bad eating habits from her along the way. I don't want to make the same mistakes.