women on weights

Options
Im sure this question has been asked but... for women what size weights and how many reps should i be doing to get lean muscle and not bulk i'm medium build 5'7 and 155 if that makes a difference... thanks!

Replies

• lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Im not a trainer, but have trained on and off for awhile. I would suggest for your goals light weight, a lot of reps....maybe 3 sets of 12.

Its pretty hard for women to naturally bulk up, so dont be afraid to increase weight. You should not be able to do more than 12-15 reps. If you can, you should increase your weight :smile:
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'll second the statement about women having a hard time bulking up (naturally, anyway). My trainer is insane and ups my weight when I am not looking (argh!), but I have yet to "bulk up" after two months. What I did get is compliments from the hubby (50 ound loss = silence, muscle build = notice...go figure) and others...so that's nice.

Diet is important too. I'm aiming for 10% fat, 30% protein, and 60% carbs....seems to have made a difference though I think the fat could be higher.
  • kriegs86
    Options
    If you are really want to understand weights the best book is New Rules of Lifting for Women. It covers everything you need to know before lifting and the plan is great. I checked it out from the library but loved it so much I bought it. He busts the women should only use Barbie weights myth and helps explain that because of the level of testosterone women have, lifting real weights actual helps us to slim down rather than bulk up. Sounds crazy I know -- but it's been true for me.

Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and do weight training. I do 15-20 reps with weights that are comfortable for me, but still a challenge to finish by the last set. I try to add a little more weight every week. Right now I'm at 30-40 lb pec fly, 80 lb tricep dip, 45-60 lb chest press, and can leg press my current body weight (though it's not fun).
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I agree with both posters. When I was doing P90X, I would use the weight that could get me 15 reps, with the last 3 taking some effort. Once it became too easy, I upped the weight. I also had a protein shake or chocolate milk afterwards as a recovery drink to help rebuild the muscles I'd just broken down in my workout. Using low weights and high reps I built lean muscle and never "bulked up" even with the protein shake. Hope this helps!
  • kdbell
    Options
    Thank you.. i am at the weight that i want to be... now i just want to tone up and be strong!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I second the protein thing, make sure you are consuming LOTS, that you need to build more muscle. Shakes are good. theres tons of recipes online.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I've been doing resistance training (body weight exercises, machine weights and free weights) with my PT for two years now and he has never let me go light on the weights unless there was a medical reason. I definitely have not bulked up but (underneath a layer of stubborn body fat) I do have defined muscles. I'm really looking forward to losing the last 6 or so kg (13 lb) so I can actually show off the six pack abs I know are there *somewhere*
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of articles you may want to check out.

http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym

http://bit.ly/91p7UC (NerdFitness article) "Fellow ladies, if you want to lose your cellulite – LIFT WEIGHTS!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/health/06real.html?ref=health

"Subjects lifting more weight fewer times burned more energy and had a greater metabolic boost after exercise."

"those who were assigned to do resistance exercises three times a week — sets of 8 reps at 70 to 80 percent of their ability — lost the most weight and body fat."
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Im sure this question has been asked but... for women what size weights and how many reps should i be doing to get lean muscle and not bulk i'm medium build 5'7 and 155 if that makes a difference... thanks!

As a woman, the chance of you ever getting bulky without the use of drugs/supplements is very slim. Generally speaking, women don't have enough testosterone in their bodies to build bulk. There are, of course, exceptions to ever rule. There are a lot of women who are afraid to lift because they think it will make them bulky. That simply isn't true in most cases.

The number of reps depends on your goal. Here are some rules of thumb:

Strength - 3 to 6 reps
    Hypertrophy - 8-10 reps
    Fat Loss - 12-15 reps

Regardless of reps, you should always use enough weight so that the last 2-3 reps are very difficult to finish. Ideally, if your goal is 8 reps, you want to pick a light enough weight that you can finish 8 reps with good form but a heavy enough weight that you can't get 9.

Personally, I like to mix it up. One week I'll do 3 sets of 8. The next week 5 sets of 5. The next week 3 sets of 15. The next week 4 sets of 10. Then I'll take a week off before starting over with 3 sets of 8. This has worked well for me both in terms of fat loss and and muscle and strength gains.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you are really want to understand weights the best book is New Rules of Lifting for Women. It covers everything you need to know before lifting and the plan is great. I checked it out from the library but loved it so much I bought it. He busts the women should only use Barbie weights myth and helps explain that because of the level of testosterone women have, lifting real weights actual helps us to slim down rather than bulk up. Sounds crazy I know -- but it's been true for me.

Good luck!

I agree. Great gook.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you.. i am at the weight that i want to be... now i just want to tone up and be strong!

Just so you're not dissapointed, you are probably going to move up a few pounds since you're already at your goal weight once you start lifting. Make sure you take photos, and measure, so when the scale isn't showing the numbers you want, you have other means to know you're on the right track.

What everyone else has posted is pretty much right on there, so I won't add to that. :)

Good luck!!
  • flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Chalean Extreme and Chalene's philosphy is go heavy or go home!!! Basically she says you get better results if you lift heavy and "fail" by 10-12 reps. Do one set of each. Check into that progam, its similar to P90X but with shorter workouts and will not bulk you up. Its a beachbody program. I am currently on my first phase and I LOVE IT. I burn about 400 cals per workout.