100 lbs lost (with pics)! Only 60 lbs to go! :)

Options
My entire life I have always been the token “big girl”. I tried dieting, more times than I can even remember, but always failed. I allowed myself to believe that I was always going to be the big girl, it was in my genes. A little over one year ago, I woke up and was 321 lbs. I was morbidly obese, miserable, and missing out on so many things in life. I beat cancer but was choosing to kill myself with my weight. That day I decided enough is enough. After the numerous failed attempts at dieting/exercise I decided that I would only tell a small handful of people what I was doing so if I failed I wouldn’t have to face as many people. So, I started the journey …

I decided that if I was going to succeed I had to have a plan that was realistic. All the diets I had been on in the past restricted foods (low carb, low sugar, no sugar, low fat, no fast food, etc) and I always ended up failing. I know that I am going to eat birthday cake, enjoy Thanksgiving dinner, and eat Whataburger that is life. I can have those foods I enjoy, just in moderation. In this past year I have filled my brain with so much information on healthy eating and food, from documentaries to books. My meals are balanced; lean proteins, lots of veggies, whole grains. I eat every 3 hours (5 meals a day) so I am never hungry and needing to binge. I enjoy a piece of pie from time to time, fast food on occasion. I don’t even feel like I am dieting. There is nothing that I cannot have and that is liberating. Now, I CHOOSE to not have the less than healthy choices as often because I love how I am looking and feeling. Trainer Chris Powell once said that it is not about just transforming your body, it is also about transforming your mind. I am letting go of my past failures, forgiving myself, and healing my body as well as my mind. Once you mentally commit to the journey you are already half way there.

In addition to the healthier eating I started exercise. I was mortified of going to the gym at 316 lbs. What would people think of me? Would I get laughed at? My fiance reminded me that it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks, that I am there and I am doing something about my health. I was there for me, not anyone else. It was hard to wrap my head around that, I won’t lie. I joined a gym and found out I actually liked it. I became obsessed with spin classes and cycling. I loved the challenge. It wasn’t me against other people; it was me challenging myself with each turn or each hill. If I didn’t get a good burn, that was all on me. If I could barely walk afterwards, that was all on me too. One month I logged over 100 miles on my road bike and loved every mile of it. I also did water aerobics. It was a great all around workout for me and especially easy on my body at the beginning. The oldest daughter and I took Zumba together and Pilates. I am so NOT coordinated but it didn’t matter, I was moving and I was SHOWING my daughter that you don’t have to be resigned to what/who you are now. YOU can change. I stopped competing against others and realized the only competition I have is the woman in the mirror. Even later in my journey, with illness, I kept moving. It may have only been 30 min walks, lifting my kettle bell, etc but I was still moving.

A year later I am down 100 lbs and I am feeling empowered. The physical difference is mind blowing. I look at my before pictures and my current and it is amazing that is me, in both pics. Shedding the weight is literally like a rebirth. It’s truly cathartic. The best part is, I don’t feel like I am doing anything out of the ordinary. I eat well, I exercise, and I still enjoy the things I choose to. I am more than half way to my goal (160 lbs lost)! Next year I celebrate 10 years cancer free and I plan to do so on the beach, in a bikini for the first time ever in my life. I have no doubt I will reach my goal. I finally figured it out. It is not about being destination happy but journey happy. It is about living. It all comes down to this:
You won’t be successful at losing weight until you get over the idea of fast. STOP looking for quick fixes, STOP putting harmful chemicals in your body, STOP buying unnecessary pills, STOP starving yourself. Eat clean, do cardio, strength train, and have patience. Above all, TRUST THE PROCESS! You will get there.

Special thanks to Kyle for his unfaltering love and support through this past year. This past year he has become my cheerleader, my trainer, and my nutritionist all while continuing to be my best friend and an amazing fiance and Daddy. He really is my rock. When I was sore, bleeding, drained he reminded me that losing weight is hard, maintaining weight is hard, staying fit is hard – choose your hard. I always chose losing weight. I really am lucky! Thank you baby. I love you.

I chose to post this because I don’t fear failing. Failing is acceptable, it is life. Even the biggest failure beats the hell out of never trying. I don’t fear the pain, it is temporary. I don’t fear being defeated (from my own demons or those in this world) because I am only defeated when *I* quit. The only person who can tell me that I can’t do this (or anything) is MYSELF and I choose to not listen to that person anymore. I am proud of where I have come this past year. Life didn’t get easier, I just got stronger.

Below are my before (321 lbs) and in progress (220.4 lbs). I am really proud of the overall loss but am pretty proud of my booty, Those squats are working! I want to lose another 60 lbs and start training for some of my fitness rewards - Survivor Mud Run, a half triathlon, a century ride on my bike, and to deadlift my total weight lost as a final reminder of just how much I used to weigh.

photo_zpscef652f2.jpg

9d96f988-3d7c-43f5-ac90-710f921361d3_zps166dcae3.jpg

452b271e-dc01-466f-b5f5-d943cc12ae09_zpsdc22fd1e.jpg

Replies

• thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    SO unfriggingbelievably inspired by you, Jenn.

I relate to 99.99% of everything you've said and started pretty much *exactly* where you were (we have very similar body shapes).

Your progress is phenomenal. Looking at those pictures, you can see it so very much....especially in your calves, belly and shoulders.

I've soooo been needing some re-motivating and I think you've just done it - reading:
    I chose to post this because I don’t fear failing. Failing is acceptable, it is life. Even the biggest failure beats the hell out of never trying. I don’t fear the pain, it is temporary. I don’t fear being defeated (from my own demons or those in this world) because I am only defeated when *I* quit. The only person who can tell me that I can’t do this (or anything) is MYSELF and I choose to not listen to that person anymore. I am proud of where I have come this past year. Life didn’t get easier, I just got stronger.

You've reminded me of why I started and how I to go about finishing. You're hardcore, amazing and totally beautiful. CONGRATS and THANK YOU!! :flowerforyou:
  • slimdeb1
    slimdeb1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Thank you for posting your story- incredibly motivating!!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Wow the one that got me the most was from behind, what a difference. I bet you are onto of the world right now with those results to look at.
  • MarieCoreaa1
    MarieCoreaa1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You go girl!! Thank you for the pictures and showing us that it can be done :flowerforyou:
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation! You look so happy in the "after" photo, awesome job!
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring experience-100 pounds-WOW and CONGRATULATIONS!
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    SO unfriggingbelievably inspired by you, Jenn.

I relate to 99.99% of everything you've said and started pretty much *exactly* where you were (we have very similar body shapes).

Your progress is phenomenal. Looking at those pictures, you can see it so very much....especially in your calves, belly and shoulders.

I've soooo been needing some re-motivating and I think you've just done it - reading:

You've reminded me of why I started and how I to go about finishing. You're hardcore, amazing and totally beautiful. CONGRATS and THANK YOU!! :flowerforyou:

Love ya Jules! It is so flattering to read your response! When I tell my story, this one or my cancer story, it is always my hope that it can change one person's life, to encourage and inspire them, and to help them feel like they are not alone then the journey only gets sweeter. :)
    I am so glad that you are reminded of owhy you started and how you are going to go about finishing. You can do it. I believe in you Jules!
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    You look amazing! Thank you for posting your story- incredibly motivating!!

Thank you! :)
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    Wow the one that got me the most was from behind, what a difference. I bet you are onto of the world right now with those results to look at.

That is the pic that just blows me away. I have lost so much and I think 90% of it was in my *kitten*! LOL I am loving the squat work. I am definitely keeping up with that!
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    You go girl!! Thank you for the pictures and showing us that it can be done :flowerforyou:

Thank you! It can be done ... by ANYONE! :)
  • benniesmother
    benniesmother Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    you are an inspiration. your post actually made me weepy! congratulations to you! you sound like you truly deserve the happiness you're feeling! well wishes, and all the best in your journey! you're incredible!!!!
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    Amazing transformation! You look so happy in the "after" photo, awesome job!

I noticed that my body language even looks different from the before and current pics. I look and feel like a totally different person!
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring experience-100 pounds-WOW and CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks Dottie! I am on top of the world today!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Pretty awesome! Keep it up.
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    you are an inspiration. your post actually made me weepy! congratulations to you! you sound like you truly deserve the happiness you're feeling! well wishes, and all the best in your journey! you're incredible!!!!

Thank you! I hope those are happy tears! ;)
  • Cricket039
    Cricket039 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - you look amazing! I'm just starting again, and your story is very inspiring! :) Congrats and kudos to all of your hard work!
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    Pretty awesome! Keep it up.
    Thanks!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Jenn, I loved your story! :heart: You look great and you should be so very proud of yourself! CONGRATS!! :drinker: Stories like this are why I stalk the forums; for hope, inspiration, and reminders. THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - you look amazing! I'm just starting again, and your story is very inspiring! :) Congrats and kudos to all of your hard work!

Thanks Cricket! I am glad you are starting your journey again! I always used to say that a year from now I will be so glad I started. Well, a year later and 100 lbs lighter I was right. LOL :)
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    very inspiring! You look like a new person. I agree with so much of what you said. I can't do a restrictive diet. It's all about making better choices but not about cutting stuff out complettely.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!