Okra?!

Options
Mslmesq
Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
Um, just found out okra is coming in my csa basket tomorrow. I'm not southern and have no idea whatsoever what I'm supposed to do with okra. Help!

* no meat recipes please.

* p.s. i do have some breadcrumbs right now and could bread them, but no deep frying cause I don't have a deep fryer. And I love cheese if that will make them taste better.

Replies

• LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    leave okra whole, and poke holes with knife, marinade in favorite vinaigrette dressing and grill for a few minutes.....sprinkle parm cheese while still hot
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You don't need a deep fryer - do you have an iron skillet? That's how we make our Okra.

Or you can lay them on a baking sheet, brush on olive oil, sprinkle with herbs and bake for 10 min. We do this with Okra, Brussel Sprouts and Asparagus
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love okra, most people hate it because it's slimy but I like to prepare it with tomatoes(any kind of tomatoes) and a cup of corn. If the okra is not already cut for you, just cut it, add your seasoning and then add the corn and tomotoes. I also like it fried too but you have to eat it right away because it's doesn't reheat very well.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just boil (until fork tender...it doesn't take long) them whole if they are relatively small and tender pods....salt them a bit if you are allowed the sodium.The texture might be a little weird for you,but it tastes sooo good!.
    As far as frying,toss slices(cut crosswise) in some cornmeal and fry in just a tad of oil in a frying pan...no deep fryer necessary.Cook them until you see the color change to a brighter,moist looking green...you'll know what I mean once they start cooking.
    Leave the top stem on if you are boiling them or you can cut it off if you decide to fry.

Enjoy!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Gumbo.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Gumbo!! That is actually what the word means.

There are many recipes out there but start with a roux, add some veggies and stock, then add some meat and let it simmer for an hour or so. I prefer shrimp, andouille (smoked sausage), and/or chicken, but you can use whatever you like. Serve over a bowl of rice.

ETA: just saw OP's 'no meat' comment and wanted to say that you can make gumbo without meat. It won't be as good IMO but I am a meatasaurus so I am biased. The roux and the seasoning is what makes gumbo, not the meat. You could maybe substitute meat for some tofu, I would just add it in later in the simmer so it doesn't get too mushy.