Carton of Egg Whites vs Actual eggs

Options
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if there is a difference between the egg whites that you can buy in the cartons...and the egg whites in actual eggs? This may be a stupid question.. but i am just curious.

Thanks

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if there is a difference between the egg whites that you can buy in the cartons...and the egg whites in actual eggs? This may be a stupid question.. but i am just curious.

Thanks

They are more expensive and missing the yummy yolk
  • agwodke
    agwodke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just use egg whites from the egg by removing the yolk. I use to buy the carton of egg whites but it was much more expense. And MFP you can plug in you egg whites and I believe it's 16 calories. '

Save the money and just remove the yolk on your own.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you're chucking the yolks, then the price can often be pretty similar it seems, maybe even less if you buy a big bottle (for the UK.)

Did buy a carton once, but I usually go for the cheaper eggs and if I am really tight on calories, the dog is happy! (Apart from the one time I chucked one at him, he got distracted by the front door opening and it splatted on his head - he wasn't amused, though I was :) ).
  • BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolks. Other than the protein, all the nutrition is in the yolks. The old way 'yolks are bad' was based on bad science from the 70's and was debunked about 15 years ago. The entire egg is extremely healthy. (except the shell of course :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Yep, just more expensive. I love over-easy eggs! I make them fit my macros.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I literally had no idea they sold egg bits not in shells...
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the taste of the white from an egg. I used to buy the cartons because it's actually pretty much the same price for the white, but the taste and texture are just off to me. I feed the yolks to my dogs every morning and they love them (dogs don't have issues with cholesterol the way people do and I firmly believe its part of why they're so soft and shiny).
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The egg whites in cartons come from broken eggs, they're pasteurized. So you could eat them raw if you wanted.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolks. Other than the protein, all the nutrition is in the yolks. The old way 'yolks are bad' was based on bad science from the 70's and was debunked about 15 years ago. The entire egg is extremely healthy. (except the shell of course :)

Shell = calcium ...and crunchy!

(kidding, but my dogs love them)
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the taste of the white from an egg. I used to buy the cartons because it's actually pretty much the same price for the white, but the taste and texture are just off to me. I feed the yolks to my dogs every morning and they love them (dogs don't have issues with cholesterol the way people do and I firmly believe its part of why they're so soft and shiny).

As others have said this was debunked years ago. The cholesterol from eggs is not bad for you unless you have a condition that makes it so. Here is a link to a great article that explains it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/egss-and-health_b_3499583.html

Most other articles are just spouting the American Heart Association line which is outdated.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Egg whites in the carton have preservatives and I don't want to eat chemicals. I prefer a real egg.
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Thanks

They are more expensive and missing the yummy yolk

yep
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Egg whites in the carton have preservatives and I don't want to eat chemicals. I prefer a real egg.

Good thing "real eggs" are chemical free...
  • sjsosu
    Options

Good thing "real eggs" are chemical free...

....and so the spiral begins...
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Whoa. I just googled this.

Apparently there's chemicals in real eggs too!

Yes it seems some how they're managing to sell us eggs where they haven't even broken the shell with chemicals in!

No wonder I got so fat before!
  • sjsosu
    Options
    Whoa. I just googled this.

Apparently there's chemicals in real eggs too!

Yes it seems some how they're managing to sell us eggs where they haven't even broken the shell with chemicals in!

No wonder I got so fat before!

uh yeah..I get that...the point was how every thread on this board has to turn into some variation of the same tired argument.

In your rush to look brilliant and witty, you jumped to the wrong conclusion.

The chemical argument is always a good one though....there are chemicals in anti-freeze too....why don't you drink a gallon and get back to us with the results.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Sorry about that; forgot I was on a predominately US website!

For your information - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Hope that helps ;)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Waste of money, stopped buying them years ago. Now I just buy a carton of eggs.
  • Edsgirl55
    Edsgirl55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A lot of good vit. in the egg yolks, B-12 etc. I use Organic eggs, vegetarian fed Hens,and free range. I like the idea of a Happy Hen eating a healthy diet and not some animal by product and stuck in a cage all their lives. I have seen jars of egg whites in one of the stores I go to, you got to wonder though, what kind of preservatives ( ? ) in them.