Heavy lifting question....need advice from you lifting pros

Options
So I added heavy lifting to my workout routine about a month ago (along with my cardio) and I am super happy I started, I can see and feel results already! I lift 3 days per week, 60-90 mins per session (3 sets of 10 per exercise so far).

Anyways, I have changed my workout time to 5 a.m. this week as it works better with my work schedule and I have found that I struggle to lift as much as I normally would be able to in the evenings. Is this normal? I make sure that I stretch and warm-up prior to starting. I don't eat anything as I can't stomach food that early in the morning.

Can any lifting veterans give me some tips or point out what I am doing wrong as I want to maximize each workout?

Thanks!

Replies

• grider055
    Options
    IMO, I NEED to eat something 1-1.5 hrs before I lift....if I'm doing cardio that's a different story. IF (which is rare) I lift in the morning I usually eat carbs the night before....
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're lifting with less glycogen in your muscle fibers. And, you're not as "warm" as you were in the afternoon.

Consider doing a carb eat an hour before you lift (if you can) and make sure you're doing a proper warm up before you go "heavy" on your lifts. Warm muscles perform better.

Also, experiment with coffee. I've found two cups before a gym visit does a lot to increase my pace and stamina.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, will give it a try.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a little something in the belly helps... even just a half a Greek yogurt or something.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a pre work out drink? I use Super Pump Max on lifting days. It gives me a bit of a boost but doesn't make me jittery. I do normally have a protein bar with it. You might be able to get a sample at GNC.