Lifting help

Options
Got a question..I lost 25 lbs and now I need to tone..badly! More weight, less reps or less weight, more reps? I always confuse the two. One builds lean muscle and tones, and one bulks. I can't remember which is which. Please help!?

Replies

• msgabismit
    msgabismit Posts: 195
    Options
    And do you guys recommend any supplements?
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    just lift between a 6-12 rep range. you won't "bulk" from this because you're not in a caloric surplus (i presume?) nor do you have the testosterone levels to build large muscle like men.

yes - if you find it hard to reach your macros without them.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    One does not "tone" and one bulk. Lots of reps at a low weight is for muscular endurance, really. There is the general rule of thumb that 1-6 reps is for building strength & 8-12 is for building muscle, but you'll build muscle at either, and you'll gain strength at either. "Bulk" does not come only from your work out, but from your diet. If you want to gain sizeable mass, you must eat at a surplus to stimulate muscle growth. Eating at a slight deficit or at maintenance will not get you significant muscle gains. And, that being said, if you're at a weight you like, you might want to actually go on a "bulk" cycle. You will not get huge muscles. Women are, generally speaking, not genetically predisposed to it, we just don't have the testosterone for it. And NO ONE gets accidentally huge. Some fat gain comes with a bulk, so it can be a bit of a mental killer, though.

For you, I'd consider finding a good, basic starter program. Learn the compound lifts. Check out the All Pro routine at the bodybuilding.com forums, a 5X5 program (I like Madcow's) or New Rules of Lifting (original or for women). A lot of people like Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer as well. Eat at a small deficit, lift, do HIIT as your cardio a few times a week and go from there. Do not be afraid to lift heavy (for you) freeweights.

And, just as an example to show that you will not become a she hulk, I will point you to this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077868-my-first-powerlifting-meet-photos
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I would suggest progressive lifts. In my opinion, there's no point in picking up a weight just to lift it a bunch of times. The best part of lifting is progressing and seeing how much you can lift and how strong you are able to get. As previously stated, you can't bulk unless you are eating in a surplus.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One builds strength and muscle.
    The other is cardio.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    One builds lean muscle and tones, and one bulks. I can't remember which is which. Please help!?

No and No. ALL muscle is lean. I am yet to see a fat muscle. You want to lift as heavy as you can with good form. 5-8 rep range is good. Muscles easily adapt & won't grow if you don't give them a reason to. You'll be spinning your wheels doing a zillion reps w/Barbie weights.

Women don't get bulky unless they eat too much (which is fat bulk) and/or take steroids. It is VERY HARD to build muscle as a women, believe me.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Do heavy weight at low reps, using mainly compound lifts. It is the best way to lose inches and gain strength. You won't bulk especially if you are in a calorie deficit.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    I would suggest progressive lifts. In my opinion, there's no point in picking up a weight just to lift it a bunch of times. The best part of lifting is progressing and seeing how much you can lift and how strong you are able to get. As previously stated, you can't bulk unless you are eating in a surplus.

Love this. Yes!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    whoops double post
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I know I sound like a noob, but some things just never made sense and instead of guessing, I ask you experts. :) Thank you again!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights, low reps

+ protein!
  • msgabismit
    Options
    One does not "tone" and one bulk. Lots of reps at a low weight is for muscular endurance, really. There is the general rule of thumb that 1-6 reps is for building strength & 8-12 is for building muscle, but you'll build muscle at either, and you'll gain strength at either. "Bulk" does not come only from your work out, but from your diet. If you want to gain sizeable mass, you must eat at a surplus to stimulate muscle growth. Eating at a slight deficit or at maintenance will not get you significant muscle gains. And, that being said, if you're at a weight you like, you might want to actually go on a "bulk" cycle. You will not get huge muscles. Women are, generally speaking, not genetically predisposed to it, we just don't have the testosterone for it. And NO ONE gets accidentally huge. Some fat gain comes with a bulk, so it can be a bit of a mental killer, though.

For you, I'd consider finding a good, basic starter program. Learn the compound lifts. Check out the All Pro routine at the bodybuilding.com forums, a 5X5 program (I like Madcow's) or New Rules of Lifting (original or for women). A lot of people like Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer as well. Eat at a small deficit, lift, do HIIT as your cardio a few times a week and go from there. Do not be afraid to lift heavy (for you) freeweights.

And, just as an example to show that you will not become a she hulk, I will point you to this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077868-my-first-powerlifting-meet-photos

Thank you SO much for this.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Also, the gym I workout in doesn't offer a lot. Free weights I have, but no bar so I have to improvise on my squats and bench presses..etc. They do have machines that I sometimes use, but I like free weights better. Anyone know how to break down some basic lifts for me with the equipment I have?
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bump:) This is a great topic and very helpful.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Bump:) This is a great topic and very helpful.

It really is. So informative. This is why I don't even google things, I just come here. :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Also, the gym I workout in doesn't offer a lot. Free weights I have, but no bar so I have to improvise on my squats and bench presses..etc. They do have machines that I sometimes use, but I like free weights better. Anyone know how to break down some basic lifts for me with the equipment I have?

Check out Jaime Eason's 12 week program. I think most of her stuff is with dumbbells. New Rules of Lifting for Women is also very educational, but it's better to have a barbell. Also, if you are paying for this gym, I'd find a better one if they don't have these basic pieces. :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • msgabismit
    Options

Check out Jaime Eason's 12 week program. I think most of her stuff is with dumbbells. New Rules of Lifting for Women is also very educational, but it's better to have a barbell. Also, if you are paying for this gym, I'd find a better one if they don't have these basic pieces. :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

No, I'm not paying for this gym. It's in my apartment complex so I currently work with what I got until I get into a habit of actually going again where I might not think twice to pay the fee. :) Thank you..I will check your recommendations out right now.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options

As a beginner, a full body workout 2-3 times a week is a great place to start. You need to focus on Compound lifts, meaning, lifts that work multiple muscles at one time - e.g. a Deadlift is a compound lift, a Bicep Curl is not.

Here's a basic list of exercises for you to get you started. You Tube is a wonderful source if you're not familiar with some of these:

Deadlift
    Squat
    Lunges
    Back Row
    Overhead Press
    Dips
    Bench Press

I started out with just dumbbells and you can build muscle this way but you need to lift heavy. No 12-20 rep crap :)
  • msgabismit
    Options

As a beginner, a full body workout 2-3 times a week is a great place to start. You need to focus on Compound lifts, meaning, lifts that work multiple muscles at one time - e.g. a Deadlift is a compound lift, a Bicep Curl is not.

Here's a basic list of exercises for you to get you started. You Tube is a wonderful source if you're not familiar with some of these:

Deadlift
    Squat
    Lunges
    Back Row
    Overhead Press
    Dips
    Bench Press

I started out with just dumbbells and you can build muscle this way but you need to lift heavy. No 12-20 rep crap :)

:) Love this information..Thank you!
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Another silly question, by everyone's recommendations 8 reps is the best. That's like the perfect middle. How about sets?