Eating Exercise Calories???????

Options
Who does who doesnt?
HELP!!!

Replies

• psarah
    Options
    You shoudl eat most of them, if not you will be too low.. You odn't want to put your body into starvation mode.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't, BUT, I don't burn all that much with what I do. If it were a significant amount I would eat it. I also like it as a safety net in case I go over!
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i do, i do! i don't eat all my calories but maybe about half or a bit less. i am only burning about 200 calories thru exercise everyday so i think it also depends on how many calories you are burning. i am also a big believer in listening to YOUR body, do what is best for YOU. if i am hungry, truly hungry, not bored i will eat a small snack. try it for a few weeks and see if it works for you.
  • darknight150
    Options
    I tend to eat a percentage of my exercise calorie depending on the total for the day. I eat 1200 calories a day, but I may gain an extra 400 from doing a workout. In this case, I would eat close to 200 extra (or even 300). For me, however, I don't eat more because I CAN, moreso I look at all of my totals and *kitten* what I could use more of if I'm low on something. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but it makes sense to me.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm not number crazy, I just look for wiggle room if I'm capable of having more carbs or protein.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i try to plan ahead. I lowered my weight loss goal to 1.5 pounds per week because I was eating too many of my exercise calories. I try to eat 1/2 ahead of time. I pretty much know how much calories certain exercise burns now.

So..i say eat half...
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of mine. I have my settings to lose 1.5 lbs/week and I workout 6 days a week (about 430 cals. burnt each time).
    I also have a "cheat day" on Satuday. I don't go wild, but I don't log that day.
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Double post? I don't know why. Sorry!
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't!

Having been told, repeatedly, that I had to eat part of them or re-enter starvation/conservation mode, I tried to eat part of them. My weight loss stopped. So, I quit eating them!

I will, occassionally eat a portion of them, say an extra 100 or so on a weekend, but as a rule I stay within my original allowance.
  • nahhan12
    Options
    I found that if I think "it's okay, i can eat that because I worked out" then I end up eating MORE than my exercise calories and gain... So, I'm trying to not eat my exercise calories or only eat a little of them if I'm doing a small workout like 100-200 calories burned. If I were to do a huge workout like climb a mountain or run 10 miles then I'd definitely eat more of the exercise calories. I think as long as you keep it in moderation and don't use it as an excuse to pig out you'll be just fine.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I don't, unless I have a whole bunch. Like if I were to burn like 800 cal I would probably eat more, but if I'm only burning like 200-300 extra I don't want to push my luck.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I do, every day. I simply cannot manage on 1200 cals a day - it's way too low and I always feel like I'm starving! I rarely eat all of them, but I'll usually eat about 200 of the 400 I earn jogging or hiking, etc.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I eat almost all of mine. I've found that I have to eat to lose. I hope you find a way that works for you. Good luck on your journey.
  • alan79
    alan79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I try to, i found on 1200 caloires roughly I was falling asleep I now eat 1780cals a day and do between 400 and 1000 cal work outs 3 to 6 times a week. Still losing weight and toning up, 6 pounds to go.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them and always have.
    At the moment I train 4 days a week and do all of my commuting by bicycle (takes at least an hour a day) so I Couldn't do without them.
  • Andrea999
    Options
    I think it depends on so many variables that you have to make your own call. It depends on your current weight, what your calories are and how active you are generaly.

I work out 6 days a week and burn between 700 - 900 calories each time. I take off 250 calories that I burn an hour being generally active all day. I wear a good heart monitor to assess my calories.

I didn't lose any weight until I increased the amount I ate to include my exercise caloires but I was way under pior to that.

I think you will plateau if you burn a lot of calories and don't increase what you're eating, even if you're losing at the moment. You will eventually hit starvation mode and then you'll have to take time to kick start your metabolism, better to never allow it to slow down that much in the first place.

Also consider looking at the settings if you are exercising a lot. I do 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat and that's working great for me. I also increased the fibre setting as it's too low when it's done automatically.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I zig zag my calories and try to do different exercises instead of staying on one routine my body will get used to. I don't eat my exercise calories back but I do log them for motivation to keep moving. some days I may have 1700 calories and some days 1100 calories depending on how I feel that day and what I eat. You will find what works for you with practice.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat my exercise calories. I have a difficult time staying ,UNDER my goal of 1250 cals/day (it seems like many people using mfp say they have a hard time eating ENOUGH to achieve their target calories/day) but anyway, it's only on days that I exercise that I am able to stay under target calories. I usually burn about 400-500 so I can practically eat another meal and stay close to my calorie goal. On days without exercise 1250 cals comes way too fast!