Ugh... this really &^#*es me off!

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a modest proposal.

I'm not sure everyone is going to get this reference, considering. But I agree.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    It's meant to be humorous.

we wont have any of that here.

now, back to being srs!

serious_cat_is_serious.jpg
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

now, back to being srs!

Dude, that's a creepy looking cat!!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I didn't find it celebratory at all. Just interesting and vaguely humorous. The quote that you mentioned was designed to be humorous and no-one in their right mind would take that seriously.

If you know people that would choose to be fat because of these stories then those people would pick any excuse, so the problem lies with them, not with this article.

What she said.

Does dieting also reduce people's senses of humor?

Yes... they are all HANGRY...
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's not celebrating being fat - it's simply a case of a trash article site thinking "Oh what can we do a piece on this week? We've had:

9 Shocking Cases of when you're too fat to....
    http://www.oddee.com/item_98346.aspx

..and we've done

The man who sued McDonalds for making him fat
    http://www.oddee.com/Quickee_1097.aspx

...and

10 Heaviest People in the World
    http://www.oddee.com/item_98150.aspx

...and

World's Fattest
    http://www.oddee.com/item_97614.aspx

So what shall we do this week? I know, what about fatties who've been saved by being fat! Woo-hooo, power up the Mac Sophie and let's celebrate with an extra, extra skinny double hazlenut latte with extra chia seed sprinkles.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    One of the few good things about being in the UK - the chances of me getting shot are quite low, so no need for a bulletproof layer!

TBH I didn't think it was in any way celebratory, and it wouldn't encourage me to stay fat.

Maybe that's a difference between the UK and North America too.. I know far too many people who would take it as an excuse to stay fat.

True. Women are told to embrace their curves (is it Dove?). It's okay to be curvy as long as you're healthy, but that last part is not always delivered with message.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    FYI: obesity does not cause diabetes. In fact, obesity is your body's warning sign that it is trying to prevent diabetes. Obesity, diabetes, and many other illnesses are symptoms of the same disease. Metabolic disease is something you could waste some time investigating if you are bored.

I agree though: fat is not healthy. However, as long as people keep getting the worst possible advice on how to get healthy and lose weight I don't think there will ever be a solution to the obesity epidemic; except for those of us who get fed up with the misinformation and find a better way. Sick people are great for profits.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    One of the few good things about being in the UK - the chances of me getting shot are quite low, so no need for a bulletproof layer!

TBH I didn't think it was in any way celebratory, and it wouldn't encourage me to stay fat.

Ironic considering the first story in the article is about a man in the UK who survived being stabbed 38 times.

Irrelevant considering I said 'shot' not stabbed. I believe the implements for the two injuries are somewhat different...
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Re: Example #5 - "The 400-Pound Woman Who Fell Through a NYC Sidewalk and Survived Because She was Overweight" - somehow I'm thinking a smaller (120-180lb) woman would not have had the ground collapse (sic) beneath her.

My thoughts exactly...
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

now, back to being srs!

Is it me, or does that cat look like William Hague?! (With all apologies to the cat)