Quick and filling Banana 'Ice Cream'

Options
So simple and great!

This has probably been discovered before but I was craving Ice Cream so badly and my mum made me this :)

Freeze a Banana, add a couple of spoonfuls of greek/natural yoghurt and blend...its thick and creamy and less than 200 calories for a bowlfull!

Soooo yummy! And actually healthy hehe!

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You can also add some other frozen fruits or, even better but more calories, some peanut butter!! It's amazing!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Made this yesterday, it was so yummy! Put a pinch on choc chips in and no yoghurt just banana, it tasted just like ice cream!! Definitely recommend!
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    yes! I learnt that idea this year, and you have reminded me to do it again hurrah, I add berries too .....off to the shops :))
  • VixB1842
    VixB1842 Posts: 36
    Options
    Ooh great ideas! I can't believe I have only just discovered it! I have tried loads of low fat ice cream options and never liked them...who knew it could be this fresh and simple! Tonight after my run I will add blueberries and strawberries too...I might try it without the yoghurt see if its as nice, I'm sure it will be.
  • hanwyz
    hanwyz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For a less healthy addition, baileys and chocolate (drinking chocolate/cocoa works) :) Last year I went a bit over with the baileys though, added baileys instead of cream/milk with the same quantity.... Got drunk just looking at it...
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ooh great ideas! I can't believe I have only just discovered it! I have tried loads of low fat ice cream options and never liked them...who knew it could be this fresh and simple! Tonight after my run I will add blueberries and strawberries too...I might try it without the yoghurt see if its as nice, I'm sure it will be.

I've never added yogurt, always just added nutmeg to it. I'm glad you posted this because even though I knew about this and made it all the time, I had never tried these other versions that folks are talking about. I'm definelty going to try adding cocoa or cocoa nibs. YUMMY
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do you freeze the banana rock-solid or does it just have to be cold?
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Do you freeze the banana rock-solid or does it just have to be cold?

I always got some in the freezer, so they are rock solid. But they need thawing or my blender gives up. I'd say just cold isn't enough they should be at least half frozen, but see how you get on. You could also put it back in the freezer for a bit after blending, but not too long.
  • ScottGut
    ScottGut Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Quick tip on freezing bananas...peel them first :)
  • VixB1842
    Options
    Quick tip on freezing bananas...peel them first :)

Great tip :) I usually let them thaw a bit before taking the skin off with a knife but your way sounds easier. I'll do that :P
  • loveelyds
    loveelyds Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    haha yeah i agree with this one for sure!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So simple and great!

This has probably been discovered before but I was craving Ice Cream so badly and my mum made me this :)

Freeze a Banana, add a couple of spoonfuls of greek/natural yoghurt and blend...its thick and creamy and less than 200 calories for a bowlfull!

Can you tell me why this is healthy compared to actual ice cream? But I agree, when i'm craving ice cream I eat bananas too
  • VixB1842
    Options
    So simple and great!

Can you tell me why this is healthy compared to actual ice cream? But I agree, when i'm craving ice cream I eat bananas too

It may not be in some respects, I don't claim to be a nutritionist/qualified to make those assumptions. Its just a lot cheaper and worked out less calories, sugar and fat content to the stuff I was craving/used to eat. For my macros and for me personally I felt it was a better not to mention a more financially viable choice at the time.