Does 'Ripped in 30' burn more than what I'm logging?

Options
PippiNe
PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
Since I started MFP in May, I have been eating 1200 calories, plus part to all, of my workout calories (about 200-250 extra on the days I work out). Up until the past 2-3 weeks, that has always felt like enough. My body did not feel deprived, and I didn't find myself hungry between meals.

I started Jillian's Ripped in 30 a few weeks ago, and am wondering if this workout is making my body "need" more fuel. I don't have any way of accurately measuring how many calories I burn during this workout. I still log it the same as I did her 30 Day Shred workout (as General Circuit Training) which tells me I am burning 211 calories each 27 minute workout. My weight loss has slowed as well, I'm hoping because I am building muscle that offsets any fat loss. I have only lost 2-3 lbs in about as many weeks (before I was losing at closer to 2 lbs a week). My measurements (hips, waist) have gone down about a 1/2 inch each since the end of July, except my calves which have gone up about 1/4 inch.

Is there anyone who has done the Ripped in 30 workout that has experienced a similar spike in hunger? Does anyone know how many calories this workout would actually burn for a 40 year old 130 lb woman?

PS - I'll thank you in advance for not turning this into another 1200 calorie bashing post. I'm happy with the results I've see at this calorie level, I'm just seeking an answer to the questions I've posted. Thanks!

Replies

• DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I just finished ripped in 30 and I wore a heart rate monitor while doing it. I usually burned between 250 and 300 calories doing it. Im 29 years old and 150 lbs if that helps!
    Lots of people here will tell you that you can't build muscle while on a deficit so it is unlikely that that is what is causing the slow down in weight loss. If I had to guess I would say that your body is simply adjusting to the lower calorie amounts and that weight loss will always slow down after the initial couple of weeks.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I always logged RI30 as general circuit training and worried I was counting too many calories, lol! I'm 35 and weight about 130 (height 5'0", I don't know if that makes a difference)

IMO, a pound a week is still a great loss, and very sustainable. And you're still loosing inches, so something is going right for you :wink: (And inches is more important than weight, I think). You may also want to track your body fat %, that is a good indication too.

As long as you're not suddenly feeling hungry or overly tired, you can probably stick with what you're doing. If you find yourself starving or lethargic, though, you might want to add 100-200 calories to your day and see how it goes. (I'm NOT bashing your 1200 calorie decision, just offering a bit of advice if you start having trouble)
  • Pollyanna75
    Options
    I too, work at eating only 1200 calories a day. May go slightly over, no more than 1300.
    My nutritionist has told me, in order for me to continue to lose weight, not to eat the calories that I've actively burned through excercise.

But a suggestion, if you are feeling more hungry during this intense workout, try eating more fiber. Fiber helps fill you up.
    If you're hungry for a snack, try a 90 calorie. Fiber One bar

I've not tried the Ripped in 30, but have done the 30DS with Jillian Michael. I live in a condo, so its hard to do those kinds of workouts. I hope to get back into her workouts when we buy a house. Maybe even try Insanity or T25.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    At your current weight, expecting to lose 2 lbs per week is unrealistic - you don't have that much left to lose.

At your current weight, 1 lb per week is fantastic - you should be happy. 1/2 lb per week is more common.

If you're hungry, get more protein - yours seems low. Protein helps keep you feeling full longer.

You're eating back exercise calories, so I'm not going to bash your 1200 (because there's a big difference between netting 1200 and eating 1200). A new workout can cause a spike in hunger, but if after a week or two you're still hungry, you might want to up the calories a bit - try 100 at a time.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies :o) I will try increasing fiber (though not with the Fiber One bars- they always give me gas, lol!) and protein. My protein usually ends up on the red by the end of the day, but I too, think it may help sustain me by eating a bit more of it than I have been. Please don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with the progress I have been making using MFP. It's just that the change in the rate of weight loss coupled with my growing hunger made me wonder if I should be doing something different. If increasing the protein and fiber doesn't work to satisfy my appetite, I may try experimenting with eating an extra 100-150 calories a day.