no cheese, and no bread

Options
kenziberry
kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
Does anyone have any dinner recipes that do not inclue cheese or breads of any kinds.....my husband and I are trying to not eat these foods as they have impacted us in a bad way (allergies, acid reflux, headaches)

we would love any suggestions.....even some yummy recipes that may include a teeny tiny bit of these products.....

THANKS SO MUCH :)

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    100% (make sure they are, otherwise they contain wheat) buckwheat noodles are gluten free. They are great in vegetable stirfry. Stirfry whatever vegies you want, asian vegies are great for this...like bok choy, pea pods...or anything....carrots, celery, whatever. I use sesame oil for this dish to cook vegies. Cook noodles and add at end to cooked vegies. I like the dish spicy, so I add a ton of asian chili paste and/or siracha sauce.

P.s. quinoa is gluten free too and steamed vegies, quinoa, and sauce of choice, tastes great.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Salmon - bake in foil packet with whatever veggies you like (I usually do broccoli and tomatos) and either (a) a little lemon, salt and pepper; (b) teriyaki sauce; or (c) whatever else strikes your fancy. Or cook the salmon with some dijon mixed with brown sugar and grated ginger. I usually serve with couscous.

I saw a recipe on here that's become a fast fave of mine. Chicken breast chunks cooked with sweet chili sauce. I've been cooking it up with broccoli (would be nice served over rice, but I have found I don't need the rice) or in lettuce wraps.

Pasta and scallops. Fry the scallops in a bit of garlic and olive oil. (Include the fishy water from the bag of scallops). Serve over pasta (can add a bit of parmesan).

Pasta and meat sauce (I use a lot of pureed veggies in my meat sauce to get veggies into picky husband and kids).

Turkey meatloaf with roasted potatos (I usually use some onion soup mix on my roast potatos)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Pan roasted ribeye and duck fat roasted fingerlings
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i put a tbs or two of olive oil in a deep pan, sautee onions and mushrooms with some garlic until about half done, then lay in a few barramundi fillets. cover and let that cook, and start a quinoa or wild rice mix cooking. turn the fish, cover again, wait for the rice to finish. done! usually add some steamed broc or peas or green beans. super filling, super yummy.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Salmon - bake in foil packet with whatever veggies you like (I usually do broccoli and tomatos) and either (a) a little lemon, salt and pepper; (b) teriyaki sauce; or (c) whatever else strikes your fancy. Or cook the salmon with some dijon mixed with brown sugar and grated ginger. I usually serve with couscous.

I saw a recipe on here that's become a fast fave of mine. Chicken breast chunks cooked with sweet chili sauce. I've been cooking it up with broccoli (would be nice served over rice, but I have found I don't need the rice) or in lettuce wraps.

Pasta and scallops. Fry the scallops in a bit of garlic and olive oil. (Include the fishy water from the bag of scallops). Serve over pasta (can add a bit of parmesan).

Pasta and meat sauce (I use a lot of pureed veggies in my meat sauce to get veggies into picky husband and kids).

Turkey meatloaf with roasted potatos (I usually use some onion soup mix on my roast potatos)

Salmon is great! I do the same thing, but in unbleached parchment paper papillote folded. (or with a staple gun). Couscous is not gluten free though. May want to substitute quinoa or french lentils as the side dish.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    no. all meals include at least one of those things.
  • kenziberry
    Options
    false
  • kenziberry
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions yall....even the unhelpful one ;)
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This tomato, olive, and pinenut salad is a family favorite (we have brought it to potlucks and people love it):
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cherry-tomato-salad/
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    you can put 4 frozen chicken breasts in a crockpot and top w/ a can of black beans, a cup of frozen corn, a cup of salsa, taco seasoning. ( you can add anything else you like too; tomatoes, more beans, etc.) I put this together in the morning before work and let it cook all day on low. then when I get home I shred the chicken and mix all together. then you can add to tortillas, rice or quinoa for rice bowls, or whatever you would like. great as leftovers also.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free and lactose intolerant so this sounds like my life. :)

Its not too hard, but to get started avoiding those ingredients does take some work. I like quinoa with an onion/hamburger gravy that we top with peanuts, pineapple, and whatever chopped raw "salad" veggies you prefer. My family members also like to add coconut, raisins, and chinese noodles. I make homemade onion soup mix to avoid chemicals and gluten ingredients.

I also frequently use lentils and other dried beans as my starch base for meals since it seems that my generation really has been trained to think we need bread/grains with every meal. Avoid the belief that things need sauces or gravy. Once you get used to eating them on their own its easier to appreciate them.

And since gluten free does mean that some key nutrients are being missed- I tend to think in terms of variety of food consumed rather than calories. I aim for at least 30 different food items/ingredients per day (in any serving size) so that I get all my necessary vitamins and nutrients.