How often do you weigh/measure yourselves?

Options
I've heard it across the board from "Never, just going by how I look and fit in clothes", to "once a week so I don't go crazy", and "every day just to see how the weight loss process works".

I have a digital scale, and I step on it every other day. While I'm happy to report that I'm doing a slow downard fluctuating trend (I know weight goes up and down some days and water weight is a factor and all), part of me wants to step on the scale, part of me wants to chuck it altogether.

As for measuring, I think I'm ok at once a week for that.

Thoughts?

Replies

• teaddicted
    Options
    i weight myself everyday at the start to know what works and what doesn't but i think in few days i'll do it only once a week.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. If seeing fluctuations on a scale makes you want to give up, don't look at a scale. If you can look at the scale info as data points that enhance understanding, look at the scale as many times as you want.

I like to gather as much data as possible - for example, I like knowing that I lose on average 1.4 lbs each sleep cycle (even though it doesn't really matter) - so I weigh myself frequently.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself whenever I get the urge, but I only count it and take body measurements once a week (Saturday mornings is my usual). It all depends on what works for you. I like to monitor my weight just to have any eye on trends, but I don't obsess over small fluctuations, so it doesn't drive me crazy. I have known others who can't stand to weigh every day because the water weight fluctuations are too disheartening, even when they aren't "real" gains.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I personally would rather base my success on measurements and how my clothing is fitting. I have a scale but only use it maybe once a week if that. Far too often people get discouraged over what the scale says and it's not a true view of your progress.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I measure myself once a week. Weigh myself maybe 3 times a week. I like to see how much I fluctuate between high calorie vs. cutting calorie days
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I have a spreadsheet to keep track of my daily macros, total calories, sodium and weight. It helps me see why fluctuations happen so I don't have those crazy "I gained 2 pounds in a day!" moments. I can see it's just water weight from too much sodium the night before etc. I find it helpful. I really only measure myself about once a month.
  • NyssaDuck
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, every morning only (I only record it if it's 0.5lb or more loss or gain). I mostly just want to see the trend, and daily weighing gives me a good view of it. I measure myself every second day or so and record it if there are changes.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Once a week, on Sunday mornings. Post bathroom visit, pre-breakfast. I also weigh myself wearing clothes and shoes.
  • Ninonll
    Ninonll Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh myself every morning, but I actually broke my scale 10 days ago, and it actually feels great not to see the up and downs of my weight.
    I'm sure that I'm going to buy another scale sooner or later, but right now, it seems ok not to have it at home.
    I don't know yet what will be my future strategy, maybe I could just weigh myself when I go to the doctor...
    But right now, it feels easier to eat less when I don't have the mood swings due to the small fluctuations of my weight!
  • tonytedesco
    tonytedesco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    once a week officially for check-ins but I tend to step on midweek just to see if there is progress. I shouldn't do that though. Twice now I have been down over a pound, only to be disappointed on weigh in day to find I didn't lose more (or worse gained it back).
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I take measurements and pictures once a month. I record my weight once a week but will step on the scale several times a week.
  • kjg1965297
    kjg1965297 Posts: 121
    Options
    I weight myself everyday because fluctuations just make me more determined. If you are an emotional eater I would suggest twice a week
  • kjg1965297
    kjg1965297 Posts: 121
    Options
    Sodium is usually the reason for large fluctuations
  • mrsfisch330
    mrsfisch330 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but only track if its a pound loss or more since I know it goes up and down. It helps me realize and review what I did the previous day or 2 to see how I need to adjust.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, 1st thing in the morning.
  • HPB2
    HPB2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Once a month otherwise I drive myself crazy for no reason!
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    Few times a week, same time every time I do: first thing after waking up, little clothes as possible.
  • TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Once a month. First Saturday morning after getting up.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TrendWeight.com. Using it requires daily weigh-ins. Even the days that the scale says I'm up, TrendWeight shows me that I'm actually still on the right track. An MFP friend recommended it to me a couple of months ago and it has become one of the strongest weapons in my fatloss arsenal since then. I didn't buy the fancy scale that goes with it. I I just set up a FitBit account and manually log my weight on it every day.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Not so much any more. I was obsessed with the scale and it drove me crazy if the numbers went up at all . . . literally my wife had to hide it on me!

I believe more in measuring and only weigh myself when I'm trying to factor my body fat %. The hard thing for most people to understand - myself included at the time - is that you're body weight may not change but your measurements will move in the right direction, i.e.: waist, hips, arms, etc getting smaller. Because of this dichotomy I chose not to pay much attention to the scale.

The scale lies to you and messes with your head unless you include measurements with it.