Hard time improving distance

Options
2»

Replies

• 24man
    24man Posts: 58
    Options
    I got stuck too when I first started running, so I picked a goal of 2 miles and would do a run then walk then run (make sense?) to cover the whole 2 miles, eventually I was running more & walking less. I still do this today.

Try using the "Couch to 5K" program (C25K) its free online and it may help you

Also look for a running store that has classes (they're usually free) We have Point2Point running here in Hampton roads and they are very helpful and host lots of group runs

This is how I built up my distance too. Started walking, then slowly added in some running, and eventually the running overtook the walking, now I don't walk at all. After your 20 min, walk for a bit, then jog some more then you'll be up to 25 min before you know it.
  • AndyTwoSlow
    Options
    I was never a runner, but I started using Podrunner Intervals with their First Day to 5k program. I've since 'graduated' the 10 weeks and I'm onto the next program, Gateway to 8k. They have other programs to increase speed and distance. I could barely run around the block but now I'm running untimed 5k in my neighborhood and don't feel like I'm going to die any more when I'm done.

It's all free. I have no connection with it other than being a satisfied user. The intervals help you build up strength and cardio endurance to stretch out your distance. I went from week 1, barely finishing the 60 minute runs, to week 10 and running 35 straight minutes.

Running for me is not sustainable long term due to knee problems, but until I can't do it any more I'll be keeping on.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I got stuck as well. For ME it was ALL mental. I wasn't able to get past jogging 8 minutes for over a month. I finally just had to tell myself to STFU and do it. I did and now I can do a 5K in 35 minutes. Remember this, your mind will give out long before your body does!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    For me, the speed came after I started doing two things:

Strength training (calves, quads, hammies)
    Cross-Training

The cross training in my case was cycling, where I worked on increasing my cadence. The side effect was increased cadence in my running stride,
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You sound like me a little over a year ago!

Running has a very fast initial learning curve that flattens out quickly.

My experience with non-stop running: 0 - 5k took a little over 3 months, 10k took an additional 3 - 4 months, 21k another 6 months and I am training now for my first marathon (scheduled end Sept, 7 months since my half).

If you have the time and resources, look for a local running group. I joined up with a Running Room store group as I trained for my half and this has helped me immensely! Especially with the training for the coming full marathon.

If there are no groups in your area. Seek out friends to run with you. As you have already started, it may take friends a little time to catch up. But, training with a group is worth every second!

Lastly, there are lots of books & videos out there to help. As I am using the Running Room program I will suggest the Learn to run book by John Stanton. His program is working well for me. There are lots of others who use a variety of training methods. I like John Stanton's approach because it is aimed at new(er) runners.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Just have to push through.
    I have days when my muscle are sore for the first 59 laps of my planned 90 lap swim. But at lap 60, the ache stops and I feel better than at the start.
    I was stuck at 36 laps(~1 mile) for years. Then I started adding 12 to 18 laps. Now I can swim 220 laps (10km).

I suspect runners experience something similar. Aching muscles to a point where they are about ready to call it a day then something kicks in and they can just keep going.
  • TerryR012448
    Options
    I'm a novice runner and don't claim to have good answers. I'm trying to increase distance as well and have found that if I run as far as I can, then run/walk the rest of the way, I find over time I walk less and run more and increases the distance I run. Rather than walking home, run/walk home. Run as far as you can, then walk, etc. You'll find in time you'll be able to run all the way home.

Good luck, don't quit!
  • crownedether
    crownedether Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    intervals.

i started out not being able to run two minutes at a stretch. set myself a goal of three miles. alternate running/walking the whole route. (ie start at run 2 min/walk two min) slowly increase running time and decrease walking times. and then you are running the whole distance. i would say it took me maybe... a month and a half? to get up to running the whole distance... but then i when i would just run "as far as i could" repeatedly after that i couldn't run much further. i stopped running on and off over and over due to laziness but recently my max distance started increasing again (up from 6 to 8.5 in three weeks!) and i think its because i started incorporating sprints. i set myself a 30-40 minute run, and in that time (after 10 min jog to warm up) sprint as hard as i can for 10-20 seconds. then i walk/jog until i feel recovered and sprint again. i always make sure i do 6 sprints. currently working on improving how long i can sprint in those intervals and trying to jog more/walk less while recovering. it is really hard work. but it makes sense to me. when i first started running i spent a lot of time feeling like i was about to die... once i trained a little running wasn't that hard for me and when i wasn't working as hard i wasn't improving as fast. by forcing my body to work that hard again even for a short time i feel like i am getting that level of improvement again. maybe its psychological for me... but i feel like its really helping.
  • TerryR012448
    Options
    Run / walk...............run as far as your can, take a break and walk a short distance, then start running again, then walk a bit and run some more. Keep this up and you'll get there.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I started running a few months ago. When I started I could barely run for 2 mins without panting and hurting. I have improved and can run for 20 mins, about 1.7 miles. However, I can not get better. I have been stuck on that distance for a month now. I try to go 25 mins and I just can't. Please offer advice on how you improved your distance.

I have no idea where you are geographically, but starting a running program in the summer is tougher than if you picked cooler weather. My first suggestion when you are hitting a wall is to find a running pal. You will be surprised to see how much further you can go when you are suffering with someone else. Misery does love company.

Also, you don't have to run non stop. It is perfectly fine as a beginner to take a short walking break until you develop greater endurance. You probably know when you are used to feeling tired, so I'd stop someplace half to 2/3 of the way through and take a 30 second walk break and then pick it up again. After awhile you won't have to stop, but we all do this at times. No one runs every workout straight through.

Running in the mornings works better for me. The weather is cooler and you s/b well rested. In the evenings after working a full day is tough to run. I did it when I was younger, but after 25 years of running, I can't recall the last time I laced them up after work.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Last night I ran 2 miles in 25:40. I would slow to a shuffle when I noticed I started panting to much. But I did it!
  • jaysull21
    Options
    When I started running, the biggest obstacle for me was breathing. I wouldn't say I was running too fast, but I was certainly running harder than my body was used to. But running started with walking.

I walked about 3 miles everyday for a couple weeks before I decided I would start running. I slowly worked in running, little bits at a time, until about 2 miles worth of running. When I tried to push it to 2.25 , I just said to myself, "3 is not that far off" ... and I pushed myself to 3. I plan on pushing myself to 9.5 this weekend now. :) If you can do it incrementally, that's the best way, in my opinion.

Alot of it is mental, but alot of it is the ability to breathe. I believe that it just takes time to train yourself to be able to go that long at an increased pace. I'm not even close to an expert, I've only been running since June, but I think that's what they refer to as "aerobic fitness". As you increase your aerobic fitness, you're on your way.