Help! Not loosing weight thought exercise and diet

Options
2»

Replies

• tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You are under eating for the amount of exercise you are doing. Your body needs more food. Eat back some of your exercise calories and you should start to see results.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You are under eating for the amount of exercise you are doing. Your body needs more food. Eat back some of your exercise calories and you should start to see results.

This! Eat more!! You are doing tons of exercise, keep in mind that your body needs fuel to keep it's motor running!

When I joined MFP it gave me 1200 calories a day, but I immediately felt that this wasn't enough. I did my TDEE calculations and I now eat between 1500-1600 calories a day. I'm very short (5') and don't nearly exercise as much as you do, I eat more and I'm still losing. Definitely up your calories!! You may see the scale go up a bit the first few days, but don't let that discourage you. Also, take your measurements.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people actually eat more due to not weighing properly and not estimating the calories comsumed correctly but I am VERY good at that so I know thats not the problem for me.

Dates you logged in August:

7-Aug-13
    8-Aug-13
    12-Aug-13
    13-Aug-13
    14-Aug-13
    15-Aug-13
    19-Aug-13
    20-Aug-13

Dates you didn't log:

9th
    10th
    11th
    16th
    17th
    18th

This is your first problem. Please re-read my original post.

OP...Please heed this advice...Looking at your diary you are me three years ago. Diet looks tight Monday-Thursday, Then Friday-Sunday...Nothing.

Me three years ago...Strict low carb Monday - Thursday..Lots of exercise. Surely I could live it up a little on the weekend and still be fine. Dinner and Drinks on Friday, Large Popcorn at the movies, Maybe a lunch special, Then a family get together for food, cake, and wine...No tracking but how bad could it be? Does this sound at all familiar?

Get Friday-Sunday in line...Heck it doesn't have to be 1200, give yourself 1600 or something on those days and i bet you start seeing the results you are after.
  • majlinehan
    majlinehan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people actually eat more due to not weighing properly and not estimating the calories comsumed correctly but I am VERY good at that so I know thats not the problem for me.

7-Aug-13
    8-Aug-13
    12-Aug-13
    13-Aug-13
    14-Aug-13
    15-Aug-13
    19-Aug-13
    20-Aug-13

Dates you didn't log:

9th
    10th
    11th
    16th
    17th
    18th

OP...Please heed this advice...Looking at your diary you are me three years ago. Diet looks tight Monday-Thursday, Then Friday-Sunday...Nothing.

Me three years ago...Strict low carb Monday - Thursday..Lots of exercise. Surely I could live it up a little on the weekend and still be fine. Dinner and Drinks on Friday, Large Popcorn at the movies, Maybe a lunch special, Then a family get together for food, cake, and wine...No tracking but how bad could it be? Does this sound at all familiar?

Get Friday-Sunday in line...Heck it doesn't have to be 1200, give yourself 1600 or something on those days and i bet you start seeing the results you are after.

I know you think I only stick to it for the days I log but thats is not the case. I am trying to re-log my food on here and some days I just dont bother as I am rekeying as such. (I have a paper diary I have to keep for my personal trainer as he reviews this on a weekly basis for me.) I am meeting him today for my 2 week check point so I have a full food diary from when I started 6th august till now. I will say though I am not a strick 1 day a week and will allow myself a treat but I still count kcals.

Looking at my diary my only "treats" for the 2 weeks have been a glass of wine (2 glasses) at the weekend and a 1 normal healthy home cooked oven cooked chicken with a few pieces of potato with olive oil. (normal portion size) and a small chocolate bar and I think I have had 3 slices of cheese. These treats were included in my kcal intake which hasnt been over 1500 yet.

Thanks for all the posts and suggestions (eventhough a lot are polar opposites :) )
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and learn to enjoy healthful foods.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Maintain your exercise program.

Hey Bob! I almost didn't recognize you with your new name, but the same, regurgitated nonsense gave you away.

And still, no.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

7-Aug-13
    8-Aug-13
    12-Aug-13
    13-Aug-13
    14-Aug-13
    15-Aug-13
    19-Aug-13
    20-Aug-13

Dates you didn't log:

9th
    10th
    11th
    16th
    17th
    18th

I know you think I only stick to it for the days I log but thats is not the case. I am trying to re-log my food on here and some days I just dont bother as I am rekeying as such. (I have a paper diary I have to keep for my personal trainer as he reviews this on a weekly basis for me.) I am meeting him today for my 2 week check point so I have a full food diary from when I started 6th august till now. I will say though I am not a strick 1 day a week and will allow myself a treat but I still count kcals.

Looking at my diary my only "treats" for the 2 weeks have been a glass of wine (2 glasses) at the weekend and a 1 normal healthy home cooked oven cooked chicken with a few pieces of potato with olive oil. (normal portion size) and a small chocolate bar and I think I have had 3 slices of cheese. These treats were included in my kcal intake which hasnt been over 1500 yet.

Thanks for all the posts and suggestions (eventhough a lot are polar opposites :) )

For all the food you weighed, did you use a digital scale? Or was it estimated and ballparked? It can make a big difference.

Example from my protein powder I use everyday. Package says one serving is 1 scoop (28 grams) for 130 calories. So I fill the scoop (maybe it goes a little over) and put that in. Well I actually use two scoops of protein. Well when I started weighing my food, that 1 scoop that should have been 28 grams was actually more like 40 grams. So instead of 130 calories a scoop it was 185. So an extra 100 calories was eaten that I didn't account for. Thats only from 2 scoops of protein that was only supposed to make up about 1/10 of my intake.

Many other examples where 4 0z's of chicken is eight, 2 tbsp of PB is 6, a "handful" of almonds is 3 servings, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depending on your response to ryry's question, if you are legitemately only eating 1200-1500 calories a day, then you are probably under eating and could require more calories. You are fairly lean as it is, so fueling your body is important. And with as much exercise as you are doing, i wouldn't be surprised if your TDEE (maintenance calories) would be around 2500+. This means, you can't gain fat until you exceed those caloric levels.
  • TurnOnToLife
    TurnOnToLife Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lots of responses to your post and this may have been mentioned already, so please excuse me if I'm repeating someone: If you're not losing weight, it's possible your body has gone into starvation. This causes your metabolism to slow WAY down. Plus in starvation, your body will cannibalize your muscle tissue before your body fat. Always eat when you are hungry and eat until you feel full, just be smart about it. Stick with high nutrition, low calorie veggies and you can't go wrong. Hope that helps. Keep rocking!
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here's something that will hopefully help put some real numbers to your situation.

Each pound of fat on your body can only release 31.4 calories per day. According to your ticker, you're pretty close to your goal weight, so we can assume you don't have 100 lbs of excess body fat to work with.

For example, let's say you're 120 lbs, and 20 lbs of that is fat. what this means is that the highest deficit that fat can support is only 628 calories. So if your deficit is higher than that, then either:

A. your body will get those calories from lean body mass (not good)
    B. your body will adjust it's metabolism to burn less calories (also not great)

Actually, it will likely be a mix of both.

So if you can get an accurate measure of body fat percentage, you can calculate exactly how much of a deficit you can work with to lose just fat, and not excess LBM.

It would seem that based on what you're doing, you're setting your expectations too high.
  • majlinehan
    majlinehan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

Thanks again for all your comments and feedback! I truely appreciate your comments.

Ok here is the deal! I met with my PT last night and eventhought my weight has only dropped from 11.1 stone to 10.11 I have dropped a few inches..... I am down 2.5 /2.0 inches on my thighs, 2 on my hips and 2 on my belly so at least something is helping.

He thought I looked lean and was surprised to find my BF was 28%!!!! OMG i nearly died.... that would mean I am 1/3 FAT!!!

He looked at my diet in detail and agrees with most of you guys on here that I could be eating to little abd he thinks my issue is a mixture I am eating to little and exercising too much and because I went from doing NADA and eating junk to being the polar oppossite he thinks my body may be going into starvation mode. He also said that because its the "time of the month" for me it could have an impact on my weight and inches.

We agreed that for the following week I will need to look a little closer on my diet.... control and limit my carb/sugar intake, find another protein poweer which has no carbs and no sugar or stop taking protein shakes.
    Also I will stop cycling every day as he said this shouldnt be required for me to loose weight so I am going to try and just do the 5 sessions a week (crossfit x 2 TRX x 1 and 2 PT sessoins)

Just to comment on ryry's comment : I admit I didnt use a digital scale for all foods so I might try and get one. I would go with small cups and handfulls (but always be on the small size if that makes sense) so ie I would list a small banana on my diary but its would be an extra small banana I would eat.

So this morning I had 2 weetabix with unsweetned almond milk..... yum :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Morning all,

Thanks again for all your comments and feedback! I truely appreciate your comments.

Ok here is the deal! I met with my PT last night and eventhought my weight has only dropped from 11.1 stone to 10.11 I have dropped a few inches..... I am down 2.5 /2.0 inches on my thighs, 2 on my hips and 2 on my belly so at least something is helping.

He thought I looked lean and was surprised to find my BF was 28%!!!! OMG i nearly died.... that would mean I am 1/3 FAT!!!

He looked at my diet in detail and agrees with most of you guys on here that I could be eating to little abd he thinks my issue is a mixture I am eating to little and exercising too much and because I went from doing NADA and eating junk to being the polar oppossite he thinks my body may be going into starvation mode. He also said that because its the "time of the month" for me it could have an impact on my weight and inches.

We agreed that for the following week I will need to look a little closer on my diet.... control and limit my carb/sugar intake, find another protein poweer which has no carbs and no sugar or stop taking protein shakes.

Also I will stop cycling every day as he said this shouldnt be required for me to loose weight so I am going to try and just do the 5 sessions a week (crossfit x 2 TRX x 1 and 2 PT sessoins)

Just to comment on ryry's comment : I admit I didnt use a digital scale for all foods so I might try and get one. I would go with small cups and handfulls (but always be on the small size if that makes sense) so ie I would list a small banana on my diary but its would be an extra small banana I would eat.

So this morning I had 2 weetabix with unsweetned almond milk..... yum :)

All good advice except the bolded. There is no reason to limit sugar or carbs unless you have a medical condition. It won't stop fat loss by any means.