100 Day Raw Challenge

Options
So i've been looking into a plan that I think I want to try but I wanted to hear opinions of others out there and what they think. I'm not vegetarian, but i have been in the past. I also have enjoyed raw foods but never tried teh raw lifestyle. i'm a gastroparetic which means that my stomach is partially paralyzed and i have a hard time getting food and nutrition in. i have my current treatment (which has stopped working) and one other option before he resorts to a feeding tube. i'm not underweight, but i'm not getting the nutrition i need because i cant always eat enough.

that being said, can you all take a look at the website and let me know what you think? I'm not asking for medical advice so please do not say "talk to your dr" or "does your dr know about this" or "what does your dr think" I've been going to the same dr for years with this issue and he is of the mind that i know what i can and cannot handle diet wise. I am not looking at this plan for the weight loss but for the health of the raw life and hopes of resetting my system so to speak and avoiding further deterioration of my condition. I have these people on my FB because they're awesome and have yummy recipes but I hadn't looked at this plan before. I appreciate any insight or opinions you all have!

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would be very cautious about doing anything that's promoted on 30 Bananas a Day/Dr. Graham. There are a lot of people who end up with some pretty serious health problems after doing the 80/10/10 diet. And the forums are very heavily moderated at 30 Bananas so you don't get to see this really well. In fact, another site was started, 30 Bananas a Day Sucks, as an offshoot to this plan/site, for people to post real experiences with eating this way. Just do some googling and you'll find lots of info. I looked into raw veganism when I was transitioning to a vegetarian, but after reading over and over again about the health problems, I'm staying far away and focusing on a whole foods, plant based diet. I do eat a lot of raw food-daily green smoothies, salads, etc etc, but I also eat beans, whole grains etc that are cooked and have a lot of nutrients that are needed, if you're not eating meat and dairy. Also, if you do some google imaging about Dr. Doug Graham and see what he looks like, it's quite disturbing. I want to be healthy, not have an ED.
  • liisa23
    liisa23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian or a vegan, nor a raw foodist, however, I have done all three. I did raw food for 30 days once, just because I wanted to, and I felt amazing! Never hungry because I could eat whenever I wanted, and I just felt really good. I didn't keep up with it though, mainly because of the amount of time it took to prepare things, and I have 4 kids and was doing full time school at the time. I would highly suggest you read a book called Crazy Sexy Cancer by Kris Carr. She put her cancer into remission by following a raw diet. I'm not necessarily suggesting raw for you (especially if you have a hard time absorbing nutrients, some things you really can't eat raw like brocolli), but she is a great writer (I've never laughed out loud so much while reading a nutrition book) and her suggestion for how to eat is something I think would work really well for you. Basically, all fluids up until lunch time. So starting your day with homemade juices (green preferably), and then a smoothie and then for lunch bringing in a bit more actual food. I just think it would be a great way for you to get in nutrients and perhaps start changing your body's programming.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do. :)
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian or a vegan, nor a raw foodist, however, I have done all three. I did raw food for 30 days once, just because I wanted to, and I felt amazing! Never hungry because I could eat whenever I wanted, and I just felt really good. I didn't keep up with it though, mainly because of the amount of time it took to prepare things, and I have 4 kids and was doing full time school at the time. I would highly suggest you read a book called Crazy Sexy Cancer by Kris Carr. She put her cancer into remission by following a raw diet. I'm not necessarily suggesting raw for you (especially if you have a hard time absorbing nutrients, some things you really can't eat raw like brocolli), but she is a great writer (I've never laughed out loud so much while reading a nutrition book) and her suggestion for how to eat is something I think would work really well for you. Basically, all fluids up until lunch time. So starting your day with homemade juices (green preferably), and then a smoothie and then for lunch bringing in a bit more actual food. I just think it would be a great way for you to get in nutrients and perhaps start changing your body's programming.

I just watched the trailer for the documentary based on the book, and it shows Kris cooking?
  • I am not a vegetarian or a vegan, nor a raw foodist, however, I have done all three. I did raw food for 30 days once, just because I wanted to, and I felt amazing! Never hungry because I could eat whenever I wanted, and I just felt really good. I didn't keep up with it though, mainly because of the amount of time it took to prepare things, and I have 4 kids and was doing full time school at the time. I would highly suggest you read a book called Crazy Sexy Cancer by Kris Carr. She put her cancer into remission by following a raw diet. I'm not necessarily suggesting raw for you (especially if you have a hard time absorbing nutrients, some things you really can't eat raw like brocolli), but she is a great writer (I've never laughed out loud so much while reading a nutrition book) and her suggestion for how to eat is something I think would work really well for you. Basically, all fluids up until lunch time. So starting your day with homemade juices (green preferably), and then a smoothie and then for lunch bringing in a bit more actual food. I just think it would be a great way for you to get in nutrients and perhaps start changing your body's programming.

I just watched the trailer for the documentary based on the book, and it shows Kris cooking?

I haven't seen the trailer but I would assume that her 'cooking' is raw. I know there are certain temperatures raw foodies can allow some foods before they start losing their nutrients...I believe I'm stating this correctly
  • I am not a vegetarian or a vegan, nor a raw foodist, however, I have done all three. I did raw food for 30 days once, just because I wanted to, and I felt amazing! Never hungry because I could eat whenever I wanted, and I just felt really good. I didn't keep up with it though, mainly because of the amount of time it took to prepare things, and I have 4 kids and was doing full time school at the time. I would highly suggest you read a book called Crazy Sexy Cancer by Kris Carr. She put her cancer into remission by following a raw diet. I'm not necessarily suggesting raw for you (especially if you have a hard time absorbing nutrients, some things you really can't eat raw like brocolli), but she is a great writer (I've never laughed out loud so much while reading a nutrition book) and her suggestion for how to eat is something I think would work really well for you. Basically, all fluids up until lunch time. So starting your day with homemade juices (green preferably), and then a smoothie and then for lunch bringing in a bit more actual food. I just think it would be a great way for you to get in nutrients and perhaps start changing your body's programming.

Thank you so much for the thought and time you put into this response. I definitely enjoy juicing and cleansing but I have gotten away from it and really need to get back to it. I'll definitely be checking out that book. Thanks again!
  • I would be very cautious about doing anything that's promoted on 30 Bananas a Day/Dr. Graham. There are a lot of people who end up with some pretty serious health problems after doing the 80/10/10 diet. And the forums are very heavily moderated at 30 Bananas so you don't get to see this really well. In fact, another site was started, 30 Bananas a Day Sucks, as an offshoot to this plan/site, for people to post real experiences with eating this way. Just do some googling and you'll find lots of info. I looked into raw veganism when I was transitioning to a vegetarian, but after reading over and over again about the health problems, I'm staying far away and focusing on a whole foods, plant based diet. I do eat a lot of raw food-daily green smoothies, salads, etc etc, but I also eat beans, whole grains etc that are cooked and have a lot of nutrients that are needed, if you're not eating meat and dairy. Also, if you do some google imaging about Dr. Doug Graham and see what he looks like, it's quite disturbing. I want to be healthy, not have an ED.

Wow! I didn't know any of that! I will definitely not pursue it based off of some of that research. I do agree with looking like he's has an ED thing....some raw foodies take it too far IMO. It would be very hard for me to give up beans and things like that. Thanks so much for your input and information. It really helped me in making a decision