Rock Bottom

Options
Thought I hit ROCK BOTTOM months ago... Oh how wrong was I. I feel so down on myself and I know that the only way to fix that has to start with me! But I am feeling so overwhelmed with the amount of weight ( I weigh 288 :( how daunting, the heaviest I have ever been in my life.) I have to lose.. I don't know where to start. I get so motivated and start to drastically change my eating habits as well as try to drastically change my exercising (going from no exercise to full on hours on end.) and I get overwhelmed or stressed and in the end, "fall off the wagon". I just can't seem to find a balance to maintain both life style changes at the same time! I need some serious help and motivation and possibly some friends that can give me some stern critiques as well as positive motivation. Please feel free to add me! looking for some friends to help hold me accountable!
Also want to add that I haven't been tracking just recently started MFP(as in today).....again

Replies

• catwomun
    catwomun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Brooke, take a look in the mirror. Say "I am beautiful and I want the world to SEE how beautiful I am. So I am going to make my outside self healthy so that I can continue to let my light shine in the world." Repeat EVERYDAY. 5 MILLION times a day.

I know rock bottom. I am currently going through a divorce from an abusive man who cheated on me. I gave everything I had into that relationship with no support in return. I am now trying to find the strength within myself to exercise 6 days a week and eat properly. Right now, my issue is that I am not eating enough calories. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to force myself to eat anymore. But I am not going to give up on myself. I won't give up on you either. Don't you give up on yourself.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've been there many times.
    I also tried drastic measures that only back fired on me.
    It depends on your personality, some people like to attend WW meetings (a friend lost 80lbs) that way. I don't, so when I found MFP, I fell in love, now I'm here everyday, the community has helped me so much.
    I think smaller steps finally worked for me, I'm now doing a low sugar diet and I've lost 2 lbs, finally, after not losing for a while.

Most of all, I stopped beating myself up, I took 2 rest days from exervise because I needed them and it was OK! If I want a cheat day, I take it, it's OK, though now I track everything and that's made the difference.
    You can post on the boards for friends, I've made a lot of friends that help me everyday, I try and help them too.
    good luck!!
    xo
    feel free to friend me
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Brooke, take a look in the mirror. Say "I am beautiful and I want the world to SEE how beautiful I am. So I am going to make my outside self healthy so that I can continue to let my light shine in the world." Repeat EVERYDAY. 5 MILLION times a day.

Love this!
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest maybe not trying everything at once. Break things down into "bite-sized" pieces. Maybe for a month take out soda, then add walking around the block, then cut down on fast food, then add walking a mile. Don't think I have to lose from 288#, maybe do it in 5 or 10 pound increments. Little baby steps and that way you can see small accomplishments and not feel so overwhelmed. Also, take measurements (and find your body fat %)...the scale is not the end all be all of weight loss. Good luck to you and take it one step at a time, you will be successful!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have been overwhelmed as well, it is hard. Unfortunately everything does start or end with you.

I found mini goals help a lot.

I pretty much had to give up planning to make major changes, now I just make small ones that I know I can keep up. By continuing to make small changes as time goes on, I end up with a larger change than I planned.

When I start to lose motivation I try and think of where I will be in 6 months if I don't change anything and thinking of that makes even losing just a little weight seem like progress.
  • catwomun
    catwomun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest maybe not trying everything at once. Break things down into "bite-sized" pieces. Maybe for a month take out soda, then add walking around the block, then cut down on fast food, then add walking a mile. Don't think I have to lose from 288#, maybe do it in 5 or 10 pound increments. Little baby steps and that way you can see small accomplishments and not feel so overwhelmed. Also, take measurements (and find your body fat %)...the scale is not the end all be all of weight loss. Good luck to you and take it one step at a time, you will be successful!

I am so taking this advice!
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    This is exactly what I was thinking when I read your post. Definitely good advice.
    For me, I had a bag of clothes that were too small. Every other month or so, I would take out a pair of pants from that bag and see how far I had come. That was something that helped me put it in perspective more than looking in the mirror or weighing.
  • byrneschic
    byrneschic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This inspired me to work harder. I have been so down about my weight. Started about 6 months ago and lost some weight before I was introduces to MFP and have lost 9 lbs since I started. I started out my weight loss journey at 230 lbs and I am now 209. I still have many more lbs to go to get to my ideal weight for my 5"1 height but I know now I can do it. I can't really see much of a difference but I can sure feel it!!!
  • brookeiva90
    brookeiva90 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you! i needed to read these things today! I don't know why today but I just needed this inspiration and motivation so thank you all!
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue, too many times to count. The one thing that seems to be working for me this time is that I am not focusing on the "big picture" and total amount I need to lose. I am breaking it up into smaller chunks to make it easier to swallow so to speak. I am currently just focusing on 10 pound goals. I know in my head where I want to ultimately end up, I'm just taking baby steps to get there. I used to drink a 2 liter bottle of soda a day, I now have myself down to maybe 8 ounces a week. I thought that would be the hardest of all, and it was a tough couple of days, but now I really don't even miss it. I hate drinking water, so I add just a little Crystal Light to the water to give it a hint of flavor. I pick and choose my "splurge" calories and just count everything into my daily calorie intake. I had someone offer me cheesecake earlier in the week, and I turned it down because I thought I might have a better offer later in the week that I might want instead. Basically instead of indulging every day of the week, I allow myself a once in a while indulgence, so I don't fall off my new lifestyle wagon.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I agree about setting smaller targets. I am doing this in 10 pound stages. 20 pounds down over a year which is slow, but at least in the right direction! The other day I got a bit depressed when I looked in the mirror and saw how much I still had to go, particularly around the stomach. I stopped dieting for a few days and then got back on track. Started at around 240 pounds so know where you are coming from. What I find is that, even though I hate myself in the mirror, I do feel so much fitter even losing "just 20" and it has inspired me to keep going.... Good luck, hopefully you have started on a journey that will change your life.... :smile: