Help with squats

Options
I have been struggling with my squat form.
I am a 47yr old woman with very weak core and legs attempting to do body weight squats only. I read the article "So You Think You Can Squat?" ( http://hurststrength.com/2012/11/07/so-you-think-you-can-squat/ ) listed in a post earlier this week. I attempted the "Wall Squat" and I kept falling over (don't laugh). I can keep my knees over my toes, but I end up leaning too far forward with my upper body to keep from losing my balance. The article indicates this is due to a weak core, but doesn't really tell me how to improve this.

What exercises will help me to improve my core strength and improve my squat form?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Continue to do squats, really concentrating on form. Do planks to help build core strength.
  • byrdiebee
    byrdiebee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just kept doing squats and my form improved. I doubt I have perfect form, but I sure have better form than when I started. Someone advised me to keep the weight on my heels, and stick my bottom out. :P It sure did help!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    do box squats.
  • lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using a ball to do the squats? Start with the ball in your lower back against a wall then squat down. It gives you stability and good form.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You will need to strengthen your core doing exercises, lifting heavy would help build core but you need to work on getting your core 'solidified' to do it.

I honestly would suggest looking up on youtube ab and core routines and trying to follow those, P90X ab ripper definitely works my core well and I bet you could find the video somewhere for free.

Crunches in different variations, planks and push-ups in different variations, burpees and russian twists, leg pendulums all help!
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using a ball to do the squats? Start with the ball in your lower back against a wall then squat down. It gives you stability and good form.

This helped me as well!
  • katherine611
    katherine611 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just kept doing squats and my form improved. I doubt I have perfect form, but I sure have better form than when I started. Someone advised me to keep the weight on my heels, and stick my bottom out. :P It sure did help!

I am with you on this. Form is very imprtant and the rest will follow. Just don't give up and get a rest day so your body can show you how it appreciates the work you have been doing:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I also started doing squats against the wall with a stability ball. Then try doing squats over a chair like you are sitting down.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Here is something you could try. Get into your normal squat position with you toes pointed slightly out. Now, when you squat down, easily try to roll your ankle out slightly. Don't force your ankle to roll. This should force you to sit back slightly into a proper squat.