Who's losing weight and eating carbs?

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much whatever I want as long as it fits in the calories. Working for me!
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs

Yeah, tell that to my Type 2 Diabetes. Lol.

It all really depends on your body. Some people can do fine eating carbs and losing weight, others not so much. I can't. Carbs make me bloated and raise my blood sugar too much. I'm too sensitive to them, so I have to avoid them as much as possible. Even then, it's still a slow weight loss for me, but it would just be gain, gain, gain and hunger and cravings if I ate them all the time. It sucks, because I really love carbs, too!
  • ValerieJean
    ValerieJean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs and have lost 23 lbs so far. I run 3-4 days a week, I lift heavy 2-3 days per week. Honestly, I don't really even pay any attention to my carb intake. Now, I'm not saying I eat rice and pasta with every meal, or even every day, but I eat what I feel like. I try to keep then in the form of whole grains or fruit.

I don't deprive myself of anything, ever. As long as I'm doing my workouts and staying within my calorie goals I have what I like. I have done to many "diets" that don't allow one thing or another and I always revert back to eating like crap because I'm restricting things. If I want something I eat it...in moderation and I don't beat myself up about it and i move on.

That's what works for me. You just ahve to fine what works for you and something you will be able to maintain long term and life long.

same here. I don't deprive myself anything as long as i am under calorie goal. But i also try to make sure that the carb is the smallest portion on my plate, smaller than the veggies or protein.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight while eating 50% + of my diet in carbs. Currently cutting right now at 300g + carbs a day.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I've never met a carb I didn't like.

Unless you have a medical condition, there isn't a reason to restrict.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs
    I beg to differ. Carbs killed my cat.
    Cats are "obligate carnivores." They are not able to digest carbs very well. Yes, too many carbs can cause all kinds of problems for cats. In particular, they can develop "mega colon" which means their large intestine stretches out and stops working very well. We have a cat with this condition that we took in when he was well along in years. He probably had a mostly dry-food diet in his youth and most of the dry foods are pretty high carb. So, if you have a constipated cat, unlike a constipated human, he does not need more fiber but instead no fiber or as little as possible. Although previously people used things like canned pumpkin to help a cat go, this is no longer recommended.
  • akillilea0812
    Options
    I literally want to yank the hair out of my head when someone cuts all their carbs out. Your body needs those (especially if you are doing any kind of activity throughout the day!!). If you try cutting out carbs and compensating with protein... your body will breakdown that protein and use it as fuel (like it would with carbs, but it is much harder for your body to use). Anyway... off my soapbox.

Your best bet is just using the macronutrient pie chart on your homepage to see where youre at for the day. You can also find a breakdown of how many "carb calories" you should have in your reports on here.

Hope this helps!! :)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs

LOL! Also don't try to turn your cat into a vegan. They really hate that :)

I try to keep mine between 100 and 150g's a day, but I don't stress if I'm over or under. I mostly avoid wheat (although today I had lasagne which was yum).
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs
    Cats are "obligate carnivores." They are not able to digest carbs very well. Yes, too many carbs can cause all kinds of problems for cats. In particular, they can develop "mega colon" which means their large intestine stretches out and stops working very well. We have a cat with this condition that we took in when he was well along in years. He probably had a mostly dry-food diet in his youth and most of the dry foods are pretty high carb. So, if you have a constipated cat, unlike a constipated human, he does not need more fiber but instead no fiber or as little as possible. Although previously people used things like canned pumpkin to help a cat go, this is no longer recommended.

^^This.

I figured that the person posting the "carbs killed my cat!" thing was making a joke. But I couldln't help but think, "You know, carbs can kill a cat."

Cats are carnivores. They cannot be turned into vegetarians. It is deliterious to their health. No joke. DO NOT DO IT.

If you want a vegetarian pet, get a sugar glider (and even then, they still need protein).

BTW, this doesn't have anything to do with people, who are omnivores.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I eat whole wheat bread probably every day and whole wheat pasta a few times a month. It's all about moderation.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, in fact I eat whatever I want 5 days a week as I'm on the 5:2 diet, which in my opinion is the best thing since sliced bread - oops is that a carb!!
  • akillilea0812
    Options
    Actually you can die if you don't eat enough protein and fat. The body requires no carbs to live. Processed food is junk. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables are how I get carbs.

These kind of posts are such an issue on here. People come to these boards for help, if you dont have legit information, dont respond.

I agree that processed food does nothing good for your body and whole grains are totally the way to go. But your body will not survive without carbs....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've never met a carb I didn't like.

Unless you have a medical condition, there isn't a reason to restrict.

^This!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Limiting carbs never worked for me. I lost 66 pounds - while continuing to get 50-60% of my calories from carbs (including simple carbs - like pasta, white rice, sugar, etc).

I've continued to eat in this fashion and have easily maintained my weight loss for about 20 months now.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I eat 130-250 grams of carbs a day. My workouts involve hardly any cardio, and lots of weight lifting. Carbs are my fave!!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs

Carbs broke in my house and stole my flat screen for meth money.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options

OK...that is scary to hear! I have a fat cat who is always getting into carb things, tortillas, bread, pretzels, chips, it drives me nuts! I try to hide it as much as possible but now the carbaholic cat has learned to open the pantry door so I need to buy kid locks for it. Yikes!!

Ummm to the OP I eat tons of carbs, I don't think it makes that much of a difference overall and they are tasty. I am trying to get more protein in my diet now that I have started tracking it and doing strength training but carbs are a very good thing!
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I've lost 46lbs so far and have not cut carbs or anything else out of my diet. Everything in moderation! :wink:
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i usually eat whatever I want. Just portion control! I know how many calories I need a day and get in some exercise. This is a lifestyle change not a race. I will however say I have done no carbs once in this 6 months to reset my body. Did for 2 weeks. It does work great but I cannot say I would be able to do it forever.
  • tomjmul
    tomjmul Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I never once counted carbs specifically and have lost 52lb since the beginning of May. To my simple mind, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and a deficit of 3,500 calories is roughly equal to 1lb weight loss.