magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yes. Food is awesome.

ETA:

tumblr_mlin09d0JS1s7rxklo1_500.gif
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    No. Instead of eating them back, I use the handy dandy search button and read the hundreds of other posts about this very topic. (Sorry for being snarky, I'm in a snarky mood.)

It's this kind of remark that makes people not want to get the help they need. :noway: What if she's new and didn't about the search feature? Get over yourself!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    No, because I'm eating TDEE - 20% and exercise is already figured into my TDEE. :happy:

This. Though on the days I lift I do eat a bit more, but still remain under my TDEE. Though I'm only try to lose a 1/2 lb or less/ week.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    even if you use MFP method, you should only be eating half your exercise cals, because let's face it.... exercise calorie burns are difficult to measure accurately.

here's a good read for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Assuming calorie burns are correct for 60% of people (can't remember where I heard 60% of people are average), and that they are under-estimates for 20% of people, 80% of people should eat back all of their exercise calories. I didn't have my HRM with me yesterday but I logged all my exercise calories using my phone app (which were all above the estimated burns given by MFP) and Bodymedia still added 505 exercise calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No. Instead of eating them back, I use the handy dandy search button and read the hundreds of other posts about this very topic. (Sorry for being snarky, I'm in a snarky mood.)

It's this kind of remark that makes people not want to get the help they need. :noway: What if she's new and didn't about the search feature? Get over yourself!

New to the internet? Not that I even made that comment to begin with, just asking.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    No, because I'm eating TDEE - 20% and exercise is already figured into my TDEE. :happy:

^^ That is the reason for me too!

If I change my goals and don't include my regular exercise (aka, when I am sick I do this) then I eat back my cals.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    This has to be the best explanation I've read!.. The rest just confuse me.
    If you are following MFP caloric intake guide you should be eating them back.

Say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.

Personally, No I don't eat them back.
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Some people are incredibly bored I guess.... or just rude in general. :) I'm sure every question asked has been asked before.

So yes, I'm AM trying to figure it all out. I didn't realize the "science" that really goes into it, lol. Some of it is a little overwhelming but I do believe I'm catching on. And I do read through a ton of the topics on here, actually. I find that they are either really inspiring or somewhat annoying due to people being immature or rude or just fighting-- just to fight. I prefer the supportive type of posts-- I'm really here looking for helpful info.

Yesterday I determined my TDEE and BMR (though I'm still reading about how to use them) and was wondering if I should adjust my calorie goals based on those numbers or leave it to what MFP calculated for me. And initially I was thinking "I'm not eating back my exercise calories, that's counter-productive." But in READING SOME OF THESE TOPICS (lol) I realize that people were opting to eat them back, in most cases, and kind of looking down on "not eating them", so to speak. I just wanted to find out why.... That is all. :)

Also looks like I need to invest in a HRM. :) I feel like "calories burned" are estimated a little high so maybe I'll try eating a percentage back and see how I do with that until I can get something to more accurately predict my calories burned.

So thank you to those of you who were helpful in your answers. I honestly appreciate it.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options

^ You could have simply chose not to respond to her question instead of being snarky about it. Being snarky does no good whatsoever to someone who is just trying to figure it all out.
    I could have. But **** happens. What would help her is to read the hundreds of other posts about this very topic. Which I believe I did.

Who cares if there are millions of posts about this exact same subject. This is her post. No need to be snarky when someone is just asking for opinions and help.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Why or why not?

Yes, because I am using MFP as designed. MFP gave me a calorie deficit BEFORE exersize. So, when I exercise I actually increase the calorie deficit. When the calorie deficit is too large, I risk losing muscle mass.

I want to lose FAT .... not just weight. I'm not as concerned with the number on the scale, as I am with how my clothes fit and how I look. I don't want to weigh XXX pounds and still be all jiggly.

Now - here's the tricky part. MFP & many machines over state calorie burns. So, I use a heart rate monitor for cardio .... I eat those calories back. For strength training I use a percentage of those calories ..... 75%. If I stop losing, then I will have to "tweak" the percentage some.

This is me as well.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat them back, but it really just depends on if I'm hungry or not. If I'm legitimately hungry, I'll eat.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    My calories are set at 1210 to lose 0.8lbs a week. I like to burn 500 a day so that means I will eat 400 of them (1510 in total) and leave the other 100. This means, in theory, I should lose 1lb per week. :smile:
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

New to the internet? Not that I even made that comment to begin with, just asking.

No, new to MFP. I know every has heard repeat questions but people need to understand that not every one is an "MFP PRO" some us might have questions for those who are. If it is a repeat, just don't answer and let those who want to help, help.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP caloric intake guide you should be eating them back.

Say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.

Thank you for that answer! I just switched to TDEE - 20% and was wondering if I was still supposed to be eating the calories back or not...

This is great info. If you eat TDEE-%, then do NOT eat them back. Unless you have an unusual day, like an all day hike, bike ride, etc and it not considered in your normal TDEE. Then enjoy more food.

If you allow MFP to set your calorie goal, this is NET calories, so you need to keep up with exercise calories burned and eat those.

TDEE-% is much easier in my opinion and you don't get all obsessed about "how many calories did I burn". Just train hard (meaning lift heavy things, put them down, and repeat :wink: ) and eat to fuel it.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options

^ You could have simply chose not to respond to her question instead of being snarky about it. Being snarky does no good whatsoever to someone who is just trying to figure it all out.
    I could have. But **** happens. What would help her is to read the hundreds of other posts about this very topic. Which I believe I did.

Who cares if there are millions of posts about this exact same subject. This is her post. No need to be snarky when someone is just asking for opinions and help.

:heart:
  • chenne0130
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I found (most of) the replies helpful, as I was wondering the same thing. :) Good luck with your goals!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I eat them back if I'm hungry enough to do so.
  • Nsmurphy
    Nsmurphy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't ..... only because I have gone to 2 different dietitian/nutritionist, and they both gave me the same number to stay under, They told me not to eat back, but I do think everyone is different. Try both ways and see what works better for you.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Pangea250 burned 10 calories doing 5 minutes of cardio excercises, including, "being snarky"
    Poster #1: Great burn girlfriend!!
    Poster #2: You eat those calories...You earned it!
    Pangea250: Lol thanks!
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options

^^ yep me too! If I have a huge burn where I NET below my BMR I will eat a little more.