cooking/measuring question

Options
artelyn
artelyn Posts: 175 Member
When making a recipe that doesn't give a serving size... how do you decide how many servings and how big they are? For example. I am making a pasta salad with lots of veggies in it. Do I just go by the serving size of the pasta even though it won't be all pasta it will be veggies too? Am I making this more difficult than it needs to be? I'm perplexed...which is pretty easy to do! Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Measure everything, calculate grams of fat/protein/fiber/carbs. Make the serving size whatever you want.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I sometimes create my own recipe on MFP by adding all the ingredients separately, which will include servings and nutrition based on the brands I use. I then decide what serving size I want & measure it out, this will then determine how many servings in the recipe, then I save the servings in the recipe.

My husband & I are always trying new recipes & we like to adjust a recipe to include the things we like. This works great when you make the same recipes & there are always easy to find in your MFP recipes. I like this approach and use it often so that I can know exactly what I am eating. I find when I search recipes on MFP, you are not really sure of all the ingredients.

So try this..it works for me.
  • artelyn
    Options
    Thank you! I measured out everything and decided that a cup was a good serving size. However, I still didn't feel comfortable trying to guess how many 1 cup servings there were to input this on recipes and get my numbers. So. I measured out cup size servings and counted!! By the way...there were 12! thanks for the input! :flowerforyou:
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I sometimes create my own recipe on MFP by adding all the ingredients separately, which will include servings and nutrition based on the brands I use. I then decide what serving size I want & measure it out, this will then determine how many servings in the recipe, then I save the servings in the recipe.

My husband & I are always trying new recipes & we like to adjust a recipe to include the things we like. This works great when you make the same recipes & there are always easy to find in your MFP recipes. I like this approach and use it often so that I can know exactly what I am eating. I find when I search recipes on MFP, you are not really sure of all the ingredients.

This is what I do too.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also add food separately for lunch or dinner on MFP. ( i.e. I love my own spin on spinach salad for lunch, so I measure and add separately... baby spinach; strawberries; reduced feta cheese; sunflower seeds & raspberry dressing). I also scan the labels with is great! Then I use the lunch tool to add as a meal and whala I have my meal saved. Then I can add my meal the next time I have it for lunch, changing any ingredients I change for that day.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder on here, especially if it's somehting you cook and eat often.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually do one of two things.

Break it down in to cups (standard US measuring cup) and use 1 serving = 1 cup.
    Or
    If I know there is just enough for me and my husband's dinner and a little leftover for tomorrow's lunch, I use 4 servings total (1.5 servings each for dinner, 1 serving for lunch).
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Probably better to do this in "My Meals" that way you can edit the ingredients should you switch things up.

This is what I do too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Probably better to do this in "My Meals" that way you can edit the ingredients should you switch things up.

This is what I do too.

Hmm, I've never used the My Meals section, but I edit ingredients in the recipes section often. Same concept I suppose.
  • artelyn
    Options
    Thanks all! But maybe I didn't state my question the right way. I was trying to figure out how many servings were in a recipe that I was creating.(I use recipes on MFP allll the time but usually with a known serving size and how many servings in one dish) I measured out my pasta (a whole box), cukes, peppers, cheese, turkey pepperoni, etc. But the box of pasta says 8 1/2C dry servings. And I know that when I add in the other things I will now have more than 8 one cup servings. And that was what I was trying to figure out. How many servings were the cukes, peppers, etc going to add.
    In the end I just measured out the finished product into a different bowl to count the servings.

Thanks!!