195 to 160 in 3 months, how likely?

Options
I have a monetary bet that I can get to 160lbs by Thanksgiving. I currently weigh 195. This started as a 1 year challenge last Thanksgiving. I went from 220 to 195 in 6 months (my 6 month bet was to be under 200) with a couple of months of lax plateau in the middle (aka- I was cheating on my diet and not losing). Since the 6 month mark, I've just been wasting time and not even trying. Now I'm 195 and just looked at the calendar and realized I'm 3 months from the final weigh-in and this is for $1000!

35 pounds, 3 months, 14 weeks, 2.5 lbs per week. Possible? Likely?

Background- I'm really good at gaining and losing weight. Never been able to maintain. Is this the time I start eating 1200 cals or less per day and start distance running? :)

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    35lbs of fat? No

35lbs of fat+muscle+water weight, it's possible but it's going to be close, really close.

28lbs is realistic depending on how much you have to lose, but as you get closer to goal weight, 2lbs a week is really not feasible.

You could end up losing 5lbs of water weight your first week in since you haven''t been trying. Then lose 2lbs a week after that, that still leaves you 2lbs short of your goal, but you can lose some more water weight by sweating and not eating much the day before the weigh in, it's not exactly the most safe thing, but its also your body.

Without knowing your stats it's really hard to know truly how likely this is to happen.
  • Harmonynichole
    Harmonynichole Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2.5 lbs per week is very possible, but check your numbers and make sure that you are not leading into the starvation mode (I did and gained weight even though I was eating so little). You also want to eat as healthy as possible! So plenty of fruits, veggies with lighter protein and a little of (good for you) complex carbs to carry you through your exercise routine. Good luck and I hope you succeed! :happy:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I have a monetary bet that I can get to 160lbs by Thanksgiving. I currently weigh 195. This started as a 1 year challenge last Thanksgiving. I went from 220 to 195 in 6 months (my 6 month bet was to be under 200) with a couple of months of lax plateau in the middle (aka- I was cheating on my diet and not losing). Since the 6 month mark, I've just been wasting time and not even trying. Now I'm 195 and just looked at the calendar and realized I'm 3 months from the final weigh-in and this is for $1000!

Background- I'm really good at gaining and losing weight. Never been able to maintain. Is this the time I start eating 1200 cals or less per day and start distance running? :)

Possible? Doubtful. Likely? Probably not.
    You have not really provided enough information to get a straight answer. You said yourself that you have been wasting time and not even trying and now you want to take drastic measures because there is a $1000 on the line. :huh: If you have never been able to maintain, why not start reaching for that goal? Without drastic attempts?
  • mlhood06
    mlhood06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Additional stats/background- Male, 30 yrs old, former athlete/bodybuilder, 5'10". The 1 year bet was $200 down on my end for a $1000 payout. The 6 month bet was $0 on my end for a $200 payout. I already won the first bet, so I don't really have any skin in the game anymore ($200 in, won that back at 6 month mark). Plus, I'm fairly wealthy (we got a badass over here), so $1000 just isn't a huge deal to me. I thought the money would help motivate me, but it really hasn't- especially now that I've made my $200 investment back.

I know- wrong motivation...

But yeah, I still think I can do this, so I was kinda hoping I'd get several "you can't do it" and "not possible"s and then I could do it and report back in 3 months :) Now that's the kind of motivation I can work with! lol
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    When is the last time you been 160?
    Cut out all junk, alcohol, cheat days, and start lifting and doing cardio.. eat in a caloric deficit, weigh everything and see how it goes.. Start around 1800-2000 calories and reduce every 5 lbs or if no progress that week.. you might make it.. doubtful.. It really depends on your body and how much water weight and crap your holding onto.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Since a pound of fat is 3500 calories, you need about 1250 calories of deficit per day to lose 2.5 lbs a week. If you're getting that deficit from exercise alone, you'll need to run the equivalent of a half marathon every single day. If you take half of it in calorie restriction (about 600 calories), you will need to run a half marathon every other day while doing a deep deficit. Possible? Yes, with extreme motivation. Probable? Not highly.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Additional stats/background- Male, 30 yrs old, former athlete/bodybuilder, 5'10". The 1 year bet was $200 down on my end for a $1000 payout. The 6 month bet was $0 on my end for a $200 payout. I already won the first bet, so I don't really have any skin in the game anymore ($200 in, won that back at 6 month mark). Plus, I'm fairly wealthy (we got a badass over here), so $1000 just isn't a huge deal to me. I thought the money would help motivate me, but it really hasn't- especially now that I've made my $200 investment back.

I know- wrong motivation...

But yeah, I still think I can do this, so I was kinda hoping I'd get several "you can't do it" and "not possible"s and then I could do it and report back in 3 months :) Now that's the kind of motivation I can work with! lol

So you were seeking people to tell you that you would not be able to do it, so you could go do it anyway? Gotcha.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    It's not likely, at all.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Not gonna happen.

Why did you ask for advice if you're not going to listen to it?
    Sure an extra $1000 would be nice, but not at the cost of one's health.
  • Luvleanliving
    Options
    Too funny! Guys make bets to lose weight and it's all ego. Never lasts. Why waist your time?
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's going to be tough! If you want to make it, you're going to have to be strict with yourself and get on it now! Cut out processed foods/booze/sweets, lift and start training for a 1/2 marathon :-P. In all seriousness, I think it's attainable, but you are really going to have to work on it.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I bet 200 on No.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    can you also set up a placeholder for your thread about gaining it all back?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    5'10 and 160 pounds sounds kinda skinny, especially for a guy, and even more for a guy with any amount of muscle. What's your lean mass now?
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    you can do it, it's very possible. just not very good for you. for a grand I think I'd make it happen, but I have more to lose than you do. I plan on losing almost that much in the same amount of time.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Using money as a motivator for losing weight..........what could go wrong with that? It's worked out so well for so many of The Biggest Loser contestants. Go ahead and Google "Kai Hibbard" and read her wonderful story.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Very possible with the right effort........... from 287 to 219 (68 lbs.) in three months here.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it CAN be done. Will it be fun? Probably not.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    incredibly wealthy eh? heyyyyyy :wink: