60 lbs in 8 months. Can it be done?

Options
Hello. I am a 23 yr. old female and currently weigh 208 lbs. I have set a goal for myself to get to 150 lbs. by my next birthday, which is Next May (2014). Do you think thats realistic? What's the best way to go about it?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how realistic it is (having not lost that amount, I'm not sure I could put a time frame on 58 lbs). However, mathematically, you'd need to lose 1.8-1.9 lbs every week for 8 months. Keep in mind though that weight loss isn't linear. You're not going to lose the same amount every week, and some weeks you might not lose anything at all.

IMO, work towards that goal, but if you don't hit it, don't cry over it. Be proud of the accomplishment you did make and see how far you've come from this moment.

The first step is beginning. The second is not giving up.

Make sustainable diet changes and you will see the weight move, regardless.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Why not set a goal of losing a certain percentage of body fat instead of numbers on the scale.

Read this blog, it may be helpful: http://www.paulplakas.com/2013/08/stupid-scale/
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

The first step is beginning. The second is not giving up.

Make sustainable diet changes and you will see the weight move, regardless.

I love this!

Putting a deadline on your weight loss can be a recipe for disappointment. Start it now and celebrate whatever losses you see. Say you lose 35 lbs by May. That's significant and a number to be proud of.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am a 23 yr. old female and currently weigh 208 lbs. I have set a goal for myself to get to 150 lbs. by my next birthday, which is Next May (2014). Do you think thats realistic? What's the best way to go about it?

It's a fine goal. Maybe attainable maybe not. go for it, as a goal, but as others have said don't beat yourself up if your body doesn't go along with it. Having goals like this are what get you thru the holidays without too many problems.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Sure it can. If you're willing to eat at a huge deficit for an extended period of time and sweat a lot. But you also have to remember that as you lose weight it starts to slow down (the weight loss) so you may experience a substantial drop in the first month or two and then not much.

Putting a goal out there is good, just make sure it's a realistic one. It can be very disheartening to work and work towards something and feel like you're getting no place.
  • Bmoy87
    Bmoy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I believe its hard to say. I have read the bigger you are the more it will come off faster. I lost 48 in two weeks (crazy right?) and I am now -68 in 6 weeks so it CAN be done.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs in 1 year, and I started at 245lbs.
    It's probably doable but you can't have any slip ups!

Good luck!
  • ldugganbos
    Options
    Look at it this way - as awesome as you will look 60 pounds slimmer...you will look amazing in comparison to now at 40 pounds slimmer...cut back your goals a bit...and you may surprize yourself!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    fatoldladyonamission Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yes it's doable, years ago I lost 80lbs in just over 16 weeks, but it was on a vlcd where I only had 400 to 500 calories a day. I felt faint, my hair started falling out and ultimately I put all that back on, and then half again. I wish I could do it again even with side effects but I can't so now I'm making sensible, sustainable choices and making them for life. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I think the most important thing is determination to succeed.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My advice would be plan but don't plan the result. Targets are great but realise that reality may be a little different to your dreams. go for it but don't let it consume you if you slip a little.