not losing weight on keto

Options
13»

Replies

• Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat enough calories on keto you shouldn't be doing keto.
    Long term you're looking at severe metabolic adaptation. Unless you want to maintain at 900 calories eat more carbs.

QFT!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hi! i started ketosis diet 8 days ago. in the first 3 days i lost 4 pounds, and i now realize it was probably water weight.
    not i didn't lose any since that day and i'm eating perfectly under 20g of carbs per day.

the thing is with that diet i'm not hungry anymore! i mean i am but it only happens when it's been around 4 hours i didn't eat. i'm wondering if i'm not losing anymore because i'm not eating enough.

i'm at 900 calories a day (my food log isn't completed) and i know it's not enough but i'm forcing myself to eat. i want to know if i'll lose more if a eat around 1200 calories or i should continu this way and it's gonna work in few days?

because i don't want to eat more if it's not necessary and if it will make me gain weight.

thanks!

Sorry girl...diets are rarely worth it! Are they ever worth it? You have to change your lifestyle. There's something you could be doing more efficiently...more water intake, workouts, less cals/fat? Idk what you're doing, but I don't believe in fad dieting. Good luck!

thanks but i didn't post for people to tell me to give up. i saw two of my friends lost more than 40lbs with this diet and i'm gonna keep going. i was just wondering about the calories intake, i'm feeling perfectly good with this diet.

Just so you know, you can get the same results without being keto. Keto isn't the reason they lost weight, a caloric deficit is. But there are designated groups for this if you want more in depth knowledge. Personally, I believe it's unnecessary but good luck, just make sure you eat enough calories.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's wise to undertake a keto diet if you don't know exactly what you're doing and it sounds like you are not sure. There can be side effects from doing a keto diet incorrectly (and personally I'm not convinved that there aren't potenital problems even when you do it right, but that's a whole 'nother discussion), including becoming seriously dehydrated and electrolyte-deficient. And 900 calories a day isn't enough for anybody in a day. In ketosis, you have to support your body with plenty of protein and fat in order to make up for the lack of carbs, which are the preferential fuel for the body. 900 calories is not enough protein and fat to provide your body with energy. And, if you aren't getting around 1200 calories a day, it is likely that you aren't getting enough food for proper nourishment either. My personal advice would be to try to follow a more traditional eating plan focused on healthy foods, exercise, and calorie deficit before undertaking a keto diet. But if you are set on trying this out, my other advice is to make sure that you have done your homework before you continue on.

What is your height, weight, and weight loss goal? Have you spoken to your doctor before starting this diet? Are you following a specific program or did you just pick low carb and start eating <20g a day to see if it would work? All of these questions are important in figuring out what you should be doing. If you're dead set on doing this style of diet, I strongly recommend that you get your doctor's approval and advice on how much you should be eating to lose weight. If you are dead set on not going to a doctor, I strongly recommend that you get some suggestions from the keto dieters here about a good plan to follow and some websites to read and then go and do the serious reading about how the diet is supposed to work (and why it works and how to make sure you are doing it safetly) and actually follow the plan. People do succeed on keto diets, some of them long term and many not so long term, but I think you will have better luck and a safer diet if you get some guidance.

Also, in regards to calorie intake, the people who should ever legitimtately be eating less than 1200 calories per day are few and far between. If you are worried about your food intake, use a tool like MFP to calculate your calorie intake for your height and weight and then use the custom setting to change your carbs, protein, and fat to your keto diet plan and then follow it. Whether you are losing weight or not, you need to eat enough to be properly nourished. And, unless you are an extremely petite and already skinny girl (or have a medical condition), you can still lose weight eating more than 1200 calories a day.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    hi! i started ketosis diet 8 days ago. in the first 3 days i lost 4 pounds, and i now realize it was probably water weight.
    not i didn't lose any since that day and i'm eating perfectly under 20g of carbs per day.

I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, but it is definitely worth noting: 8 days.

8 days.

If you are trying to get a reliable idea of how fast you are losing weight, you probably need to go back about a month or more. In 8 days you are going to have little or no idea where your current calories are going to take you.

With that said, 900 calories are too few. That's stupid low. You'll be wanting to aim for about a 20% deficit. Usually more than that is a bad idea.

Keto is fine and probably safe in most cases, but you might want to check with your doctor about it. The calories in vs. out rule still applies here as keto doesn't do anything magical. It's just that usually it is harder to consume as many calories when they are all protein and fat.

And yes, the weight you have lost so far has to be mostly water weight
  • teaddicted
    Options
    relax people i'm back and eating over 1200 okay. and i'll stay on keto no matter what you think. though thanks for the advices